Motorhome Real M.P.G.

Caddies104

17.5 if I welly it and 18.5 if I don,t. Chats a weighbridge 6.15 tonnes on the road powered by Merc 5 pot 2.7 Auto. Average over 1000 miles of almost spot on 18 MPG.

Now my car is also a diesel and I get 26 if I welly it and 30 something if I soft pedal it, that is a 3 litre 4X4 so I find it difficult to see how some claim over 30 MPG from coachbuilts?? No wonder people fall asleep at the wheel!.

What am I doing wrong?

C.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
LordThornber - 2012-04-23 8:13 PM

bob b - 2012-04-22 11:06 AM

I have never bothered to check. I just pump in the fuel and use it. Ignorance is bliss!

I'm with you on that Bob

Martyn

Surely it must be early to mid 20's (CB)worst case scenario, and around 30 at best (small CB & vans).....Cant be much in it

Cost us about £200 to get down to Spain..you can do the math, as I've not a clue :D

Dr Dave - 2012-04-21 10:17 PM
Good idea for a useful thread.
Chausson Flash 04 on Transit Mk7 2009 2.2 Litre 140 BHP 28.8 Mpg @6000 miles

Same as Dr dave's60mph = 31mpg70mph = 27.5mpgHave had 35mpg driving like an old man (no offence intended to old men) :-D So daves figure of 28mpg is probably a fair average so I probably just waffled on for no reason but hey ho :-D

ips - 2012-04-24 12:16 PM
Dr Dave - 2012-04-21 10:17 PM
Good idea for a useful thread.
Chausson Flash 04 on Transit Mk7 2009 2.2 Litre 140 BHP 28.8 Mpg @6000 miles

Same as Dr dave's60mph = 31mpg70mph = 27.5mpgHave had 35mpg driving like an old man (no offence intended to old men) :-D So daves figure of 28mpg is probably a fair average so I probably just waffled on for no reason but hey ho :-D
Interesting point on value of one's time. Using these numbers as an example, consider a 200 mile journey (i.e. roundtrip to site 100 miles away, typical weekend away):Travel at 60mph takes 3hrs 20mins, 6.45 gallons.Travel at 70mph takes 2hrs 50 mins, 7.27 gallons.So 30 minutes extra leisure time costs 0.82 gallons, @£1.45/litre = £5.42.So, is your time worth £11/hr?Personally, I value my lounging time so I'd say yes. There isn't a right or wrong answer though.

I don't recommend it and would never do it myself but if you realy want to save fuel tuck yourself behind a nice big lorry and let it suck you along just like many lorry drivers do.

Me I drive sensibly at about 55 to 60 put the fuel and don't worry about it. Makes no difference I'm going to go anyway.

Having said that this is a good thread for those looking to buy to whom fuel consumption in this era of high prices may matter.

I can not put a figure on my MPG as I have only had the van a few weeks. My last van, a Wildaxe constellation on a 2.8 Ducato averaged about 27 - 28 mpg on a run. This dropped of quite a bit on the continent when I had to do a dash through Germany as I had a ferry booked and had stayed on an extra night in Italy.

Overall, I work all week and value any time I can get on site in the motorhome so would rather get there sooner and not faff about. One thing I do, do though, is try and keep to the speed limit.

I would never buy a motorhome based on fuel consumption! Anyway for the two I have owned:

1. Autotrail Mohican 3.8 tons on a 316 Mercedes Sprinter chassis, 156b.h.p. manual gear box, 23.5m.p.g. 80,000 miles

2. RS Endeavour 6.5 tons, 3 litre Iveco, 176b.h.p Agile semi auto gear box, 19m.p.g. 2000 miles.

peedee

Hi

Seems no surprise that IF you were after a van just for fuel consumption you would go for a PVC or a small Coachbuilt, but that was not why the thread was issued... But more to find out what Vans do, New or Old which may help towards your next purchase.....

Also seems 28 mpg is about the average

So keep them coming!!!

Hi Caddies

Motorhome MPG can't be compared to Cars were a reasonable consistant MPG can be achieved. There are many more contributing factors.

Load (weight), frontal area (large differential between PVC & Coachbuilt) weather & traffic conditions, Speed.

With our 6m Low Profile 2litre 100hp, I have achieved 32mpg,(fill to fill measured) 35mpg (indicated) over 370 miles of combined driving conditions.

But (there's always a but, isn't there) as an example:- on a trip last year to Southampton & back. (240miles each way)

Going South I achieved 28mpg. Returning North 23mpg.

Journey times were within 10minutes of each other. (Almost all Motorway driving @ 65 to 70MPH as conditions allowed) Both figures calculated on fill to fill basis.

The only significant difference was a strong head wind during the return journey.

So a 20% mpg (23 v 28) differential for our Southampton trip or 40% between best & worst (23 v 32mpg)

Autotrail Cheyenne 635 from 2005 - 2008 Fiat 2.8 JTD diesel average over 16832 miles 23.5mpg.

Autotrail Cheyenne 630 from 2008 - 2011 Fiat 2.3 diesel average over 19863 miles 24.4mpg.

Autotrail Tracker EKS from 2011 to 2012 Fiat 2.3 diesel average over 1521 miles 25.5mpg.

Usually driven at around 2250 -2500 rpm doing about 60 - 65 mph. I am a little heavy footed when compared to everybody else! and I put the improvement in mpg down to Fiats improved engineering. dow

Accurate average fuel consumption of our aged old-dog 1992 Peugeot J5 2.5TD van based A-class motorhome (well overloaded beyond the 3.5 tonnes most of the time)?

Absolutely no idea.

Dire for sure, but I've never bothered working it out.

It is what it is.

When the tank is nearly empty I fill it again, and then just drive on.

I do now travel at 85 to 90 kms per hour when cruising on A-roads/motorways, and have noticed that doing so gets me quite a lot further on a tankful than cruising at a tad over 100 kms per hour which I used to do.

But in truth, why worry?

It ain't the cost of the fuel that you stick in it that's the big cost; fuel cost is an utterly tiny consideration within the overall cost mix, unless you are doing starship mileages.

It's the depreciation on it's capital value that's the utter killer.

If you've got a new or newish MH, start working that loss of maybe £5,000 per year or more out over the miles you travelled, and then your eyes may really start to water.

Our MH is so old and crabby that I don't think there's really much more depreciation left in it!

Honestly, I personally wouldn't even include projected mpg figures in any comparison between possible MH's on my wish-list.

The difference between 25mph and 30 mpg over (say) 5,000 miles per year is actually really insignificant when compared to purchase cost, depreciation, insurance costs, servicing costs, spares costs, etc.

We used to average 25 mpg overall with our Rimor Sailor on a Mercedes313 chassis. We recently took our newly aquired caravan out for shake down cruise towing it behind my Audi 6 2 litre diesel and was surprised that whilst actually towing the van we averaged only 25.5 mpg. It just goes to show, you can't beat the physics.AGD

• 3 years later...

Fiat Ducato 1998 Auto Roller 6 1.9TD 19.5 feet.

3 week tour of Scotland 25mpg at 55 mph to get there with cruise control on.

Driving around Scotland 27mpg at road speeds and slower.

This is not the wrong way around we wrote all mileage and litres and cost for 3 weeks and worked it all out on google. Thought this was fine for such a heavy vehicle with only a 1.9TD engine.

tonyxs - 2016-03-03 7:57 PM

Fiat Ducato 1998 Auto Roller 6 1.9TD 19.5 feet.

3 week tour of Scotland 25mpg at 55 mph to get there with cruise control on.

Driving around Scotland 27mpg at road speeds and slower.

This is not the wrong way around we wrote all mileage and litres and cost for 3 weeks and worked it all out on google. Thought this was fine for such a heavy vehicle with only a 1.9TD engine.

Vans are very sensitive to higher speeds and cruise control will not give as good mileage compared to sensitive manual control, so those figures look about to me.

2.5 Tdi VW Lt based 3500 gvw overcab 'van. Accurate records kept usually checked over many tankfulls once or twice a year. 27 mpg.

Cruising at motorway limit 23mpg similar trips 62-5 27mpg. Long runs in level. rural areas on continent at 50-55 low 30s.

My reason for record keeping is worsening fuel consumption indicates engine or even other problems such as brake binding. If you have to watch fuel use you probably cannot afford to indulge in an activity.

The best economy device is 20/20 vision to read the signs and road ahead. Early lift off on approach to a hazard saves fuel and brakes. Arriving slowly at a junction allows time to assess situation and often avoids the need to stop.

2008 Kontiki 669 highline tag, manual, 17k miles, 4980kg, re-mapped to 185 bhp (rolling road).

21.3 mpg over last 4200 miles at average speed of 28.7 mph.

Best ever mpg of 31.8 in 10 miles of roadworks lol. Worst mpg of 18.3 on 200 miles of Welsh roads.

300 mile trip on motorways recently and we got 27.9mpg at 60-65mph - it's the stop/start and pulling away from junctions and roundabouts that kills our mpg with such a heavy MH.

Archived