Motorhome Real M.P.G.

Caddies104

Tracker - 2016-03-06 3:41 PM

It is next to impossible to check an odometer (snip)

It's very easy to confirm that it's as inaccurate as the speedometer though by driving at an indicated 60mph and checking that each mile recorded takes one minute.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve928 - 2016-03-06 3:51 PM

Tracker - 2016-03-06 3:41 PM

It is next to impossible to check an odometer (snip)

It's very easy to confirm that it's as inaccurate as the speedometer though by driving at an indicated 60mph and checking that each mile recorded takes one minute.

I think we can take it as read that it is as inaccurate as the speedo!

Far better to use the sat nav speed indicator and cruise control to maintain a constant speed - as long as you can find a quiet enough bit of motorway to maintain a constant speed that is!

Speedometer - definition - a delicate instrument scientifically designed to give incorrect readings at all speeds and over all distances!

Bojitoes - 2016-03-06 1:31 PMRoller Team 500, bought from new 2009, now 45,000 on clock.A bit surprised by Roger's comment and figures. We have never had a consumption figure of less than 30 mpg and usually 31-32. I use the cruise control whenever I can, particularly in 50mph speed limit areas and on motorways, and cross check the trip computer with a manual spreadsheet.Fuel cost may not be important to some but I am willing to bet that most forum readers look around for the cheapest fuel to fill up if they can.An interesting topic.bob

Apologies for not reading the whole post properly the first time around.   I should imagine, like me if knowing where the lowest price outlet is en route then financial sense determines one fills up where it is cheapest.  However I wouldn't go more than a couple of miles off route to fill up because even a tank full is only going to save less than £2.00 or so given the disparity between outlets is usually no more than 2p or so per ltr.

candapack - 2016-03-06 10:41 AM

Caddies104 - 2016-03-06 10:05 AM

Hi

Changed Motorhome since the start of this thread, still an Autotrail Apache 632 and although is a 3650kg version (2013) it is now after 10,000 miles doing 29.0 mpg

We are in a 2016 Apache 632, on first trip. Also 3650 kg, on a 130 bhp engine. Total mileage on van 2000, this trip 1777 at last fill up. Brim to brim mpg this trip is 28.34, which we're pretty chuffed with. Hoping for even better with more miles on it.

Hi Chris

Hope your still enjoying Spain, bet it's warmer than here *-)

Derek

All speedometers read fast don't they? I thought that manufacturers deliberately make them this way to give a bit of leeway for speeding purposes. If they were a little bit out on the slow side and folks got caught speeding they would be swamped with legal claims - so they play safe. Our current van speedo reads 5mph fast at 70mph as against the sat nav. In fact I can't remember any vehicles speedo being accurate over the years.

RogerC - 2016-03-06 12:45 PM

(Just wondering how monitoring one's fuel consumption can provide information as to possible trouble developing? Genuinely interested question here...not provocational in any way.

Re how mpg indicates wear.

An engine is an air pump that at ones stage burns fuel liberating energy for propulsion. If engine efficiency falls off due to wear or malfunction more fuel is needed to provide the energy and worsening MPG is an indicator that there is a problem.

Another indicator is a loud bang clouds of smoke and sudden stop when a worn out engine gives notice its off to the big scrapyard.

ken the kontiki - 2016-03-06 1:03 PM
RogerC - 2016-03-06 12:45 PMJust wondering how monitoring one's fuel consumption can provide information as to possible trouble developing? 

Genuinely interested question here...not provocational in any way.
If ours dropped to say 16mpg (or less?), I'd be looking for the cause as it's never hit this figure in 4000 miles of varied driving. We know the lowest mpg to expect and anything less might be the start of something.

Agreed but I presume you're talking about a serious drop in mpg which you would notice 'on the road'(reduced distance between needing to fill up/computer says 'Oi matey mpg is dropping' assuming you have a built in mpg indicator) negating the need for spreadsheet or other ongoing regular assessments.  My point is once one is aware of the 'regular' mpg why bother with all this recording/calculating stuff because one accepts that mpg is affected by terrain/traffic/right foot/wind resistance/vehicle weight/tyre pressure etc and anything other than a serious difference would likely be because of a multitude of indeterminate factors rendering the exercise pointless.  So given that most all 'modern' MH's have (albeit not overly accurate but constant) mpg indicators you already have an 'on the go' indication of mpg which accepting your 'serious' drop in mpg concerns would show on said indicator and yes there would be need to investigate......ergo why the mathematical wrangling to determine a difference of a couple of mpg here and there ?  Personal satisfaction or contentment at having the information I can agree  on but as an indicator of 'problems' I honestly just don't get it.

George...your 'big bang' reference I doubt very much would be forewarned by mpg calculations.  However I still can't accept mpg being used as an indicator of wear and tear or impending component failure because it is such an inexact calculation as to be rendered ineffective in providing anything other than a 'ball park' figure to satisfy ones curiosity.

I am interested in long term trends normally only do the calcs based on at least half a dozen but often 20 tankfulls over thousands of miless. Bear in mind my outfit is 18 years old with just a computer to run the motor.

Comparing fuel gauge and trip mileage tells me with a fair degree of accuracy short term fuel economy. Love those gentle runs across level bits of France when still above 1/4 full and 400+ miles on the trip. By the way what are these toll charges that keep getting mentioned. Retirement has its advantages.

Still use paper mats as navigator feels insecure if cannot put finger on map and say this is where I am. She has never lost me in Europe or USA.

There is Sat Nav in car but its rarely used as most trips local and map in head fine.

We have just returned from a 2,400 mile trip through France and into Italy in our Frankia FF2 which is on a Fiat 130 (2012). I have just compared our odometer reading for the trip with the identical route plotted on Autoroute. Interestingly Autoroute calculated a milage of 2.392. I doubt if Autoroute takes account of 'up's and downs' which would increase the flat mileage a little. So, I would think the odometer pretty accurate.

As a matter of interest over the four years of ownership (47,000 miles) we have average 29 mpg (calcluated from full fill up's) which has usually been slightly better than the vehicle computer. Our destinations have varied from Norway to Croatia and most countries in between. Driving speeds are between 55 and 70 mpg depending on road conditions. We are pretty happy with both the mpg and driving characteristics of our 'van which is only 6,48 metres long.

I've had six motorhomes over 20 years and periodically check the fuel consumption to ensure nothing is awry with the mechanics and my driving style.

In those 20 years, my Talbot 2.5 diesel lump, a Fiat 2.5, a Fiat 2.5tdi and the later 2.8td, and my current 130bhp Fiat 2.3 have all consistently returned between 27mpg and and 29mpg when measured from time to time over a 1,000 miles of mixed motoring. Not one van has proved to be noticeably better or worse. I know motorway driving is less fuel efficient [26/27 mpg] than cross country trunk roads [29/32 mpg], I know going east over the Pennines drinks more fuel [25mpg] than the return journey [29mpg], and I know all about urban driving.

The only thing that I can show that has changed in 20 years is the price of fuel and engines are quieter. I find it useful to measure mpg from time to time and to benchmark with others. It's the trends that interest me.

Tracker - 2016-03-06 3:41 PM........................We all have our own ways of recording or not recording mpg and whatever works for the individual is right for the individual and I see no point in criticising anyone else for the way they do or don't do it!...............................

But, far more important for MPG is driving style, where it is driven, at what speed, its weight, it's aerodynamics, its tyre pressures, and the inevitable differences between individual vehicles, even those of the same make/model.

In short, if comparisons are odious, comparisons between motorhome MPG figures are meaningless! But, folk do ask, and it seems churlish not to reply when one has the information readily to hand. :-D

• 2 months later...
I was curious as to motorhome mpg all across the board, seems to range from low 20s to low 30s. It's made me happy with what I achieve. I have a Hobby 650 Siesta on a 2007 Transit chassis 2.0d 125 ps, (7m low profile) fully loaded cruising at 75 mph I'm getting 27mpg. That seems ok from what I've read here, looking at getting a remap done, figures of extra 25bhp and 10% improved economy seem good. Has anyone got any experience of having an engine remap ?

Archived