securing a leisure battery

drako

I noticed, when I removed the leisure-battery from its location beneath my Hobby's cab-seat, that it had been sitting on a section of double-sided adhesive tape. No idea why - as there's no chance of the battery moving about once the metal hold-down 'strap' is in position - unless it's supposed to provide a bit of cushioning.

I did consider suggesting, at the start of this thread, restraining drako's battery with a few large blobs of Sikafix at the point where the base-flange of the battery meets the floor. That should at least stop it sliding about and, when the battery came to be removed, the Sikafix could be cut away with a sharp knife.

I don't think double-sided adhesive tape wiill be much of a challenge (unless it's the "Gorilla" variety perhaps), but placing the battery on a bed of Sikafix would be a major mistake, even though I'm certain it would be effective.

Rod_vw - 2012-04-24 9:35 PM

The following from the AA website http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html (I can't find the VOSA version) about MOT changes as of 1st April 2012 may be food for thought...

"Electrical wiring and battery

An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation."

Perhaps your Adria should go back to the dealers for a retro fit!!

Found the VOSA version now.... http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm - Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles - Section 1.9 Page 1

My reply was an attempt to highlight the pending changes to the MOT as of this month. The VOSA document does indicate inclusion of ALL vehicle batteries. It also includes the condition of vehicle wiring which I note leaves something to be desired in some camper conversions!

Archived