Autogas instead of calor

shaggy

Hi All, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

I am thinking of buying a gaslow refillable cylinder for the van, but on reading the instructions for the dometic fridge it states it should not be run on autogas. Has anyone had any problems? I thought autogas was simply propane.

Hopefully you can put my mind at ease.

Thanks

I used Autogas, purchased in various countries and at various times of the year, exclusively for about four years in my last Van. We had our local dealer install a 13K tank mainly for reasons of convenience rather than cost saving, We did not encounter any problems at all nor did we notice any difference in performance when used for cooking or space or water heating.

Thanks HymerVan,it's also for the convenience that I wish to install one. I have several half full or less cylinders in the garden due to the van only holding one, and not wishing to run out when in Europe, always purchase a new one or exchange one of the half full ones. An even more expensive way of replenishing our gas supplies.

As has previously been stated, no problems with fridge or water heater. We are lucky that we have an autogas station quite close so after every couple of weekends or a week away we top it up on the way home that way its always nearly full. Its a great system.
you can go to this website to find your nearest autogas station.
All the best
Dave

Used it for years without any issue. 

Forecourt LPG is a mixture of propane and butane and the mixture varies depending on region and temperature.

It will all work on any gas appliance though so no need to stress. There are occasional tales of 'autogas gummed my system' but they are rare and I'm not sure if any have actually been traced back to the LPG itself; more likely due to the stupid bulkhead mounted regulator systems.

There are other (arguably better) refillable cylinders available - you are not forced to follow the sheep like masses to planet Gaslow.

shaggy - 2012-04-22 11:14 PM

Hi All, I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.

I am thinking of buying a gaslow refillable cylinder for the van, but on reading the instructions for the dometic fridge it states it should not be run on autogas. Has anyone had any problems? I thought autogas was simply propane.

Hopefully you can put my mind at ease.

Thanks

These are a couple of earlier forum threads that may be helpful:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12211&posts=3

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8224&start=1

It really boils down to whether one believes that Dometic has some ulterior motive in advising that autogas should not be used (and, not being comspiracy theorist, I can't think of one) or whether Dometic has identified problems with their appliances and concluded that these were due to autogas usage.

I'm unaware of any general problems with Dometic fridges caused by autogas usage, but, as you are aware of Dometic's advice not to use autogas, if you ignore that advice you'll just have to accept responsibility if that decision does produce problems. I'm extremely doubtful there would be problems but, nevertheless, you would be ignoring Dometic's instructions. Can't say ignoring instructions much bothers me, and I've used autogas to fuel the Dometic fridges in my motorhomes for the last 10 years without any evidence that it's harmful to the appliances or causes the heavy 'sooting' that's sometimes mentioned.

As crinkleystarfish says, there alternatives to the Gaslow products:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=25

http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=12

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

This may also be worth looking at:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25555&start=1

We specified Gaslow from new on this van, which has a Dometic fridge. Been running it for 4 yrs, no problem. We have the steel hoses, I seem to recall there were some problems with "gunk" from rubber ones when bulkhead regulators were first introduced, so if that's what you've got make sure you get steel hoses.

As for "consumption," we rarely use hookups or site showers, and find our single cylinder lasts us about a week (two showers very morning, cooking and washing up most evenings). When we're just using it for odd nights away, I keep a note of how many nights since last fill!

Guest JudgeMental
4 years in last camper and 1 in new one (transferred over) no problems......I try and fill up in UK were I believe the mix is more butane.....

Had 2 x 11Kg Gaslow bottles fitted on my van from new (2 years ago) with new stainless steel hoses. Not had any problems with any of the appliances in the van that use the gas system e.g. Cooker, Fridge/Freezer, Heating (Water and Blown Air Space Heating).

JudgeMental - 2012-04-23 11:16 AM

4 years in last camper and 1 in new one (transferred over) no problems......I try and fill up in UK were I believe the mix is more butane.....

I think the mix is more propane - for the colder climate and the further south towards Spain the mix becomes more butane thasn propane.

David

Guest JudgeMental
david lloyd - 2012-04-23 4:29 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-04-23 11:16 AM

I think the mix is more propane - for the colder climate and the further south towards Spain the mix becomes more butane thasn propane.

David

Oop's that is what I should have said......

Thanks for all the replies, i have taken the plunge and purchased a single direct refil bottle which I can remove and move with ease to another van if we change. I looked at some of the other makes of bottles mentioned but went for the gaslow one which cost £145 so not much difference to the cost of the other makes recommended, plus it states on the side that it is refillable if questioned at a garage whilst filling.

Thanks again

Shaggy

Autogas in the UK is Propane. On the continent it is a blend of Propane and Butane and the ratio changes with the seasons. More Butane in the summer. Dometic fridges are stated and used by many on both Propane and Butane. I have a bulk tank on the present motorhome and fitted one to our previous motorhome. Would do the same again.

Enjoy the convenience.

C.

Archived