motorhome parking charges at st.annes!!!!!

trickydicky

hi,just received good news that from this friday (27th) you can officially overnight at the swimming pool carpark in st. annes for £5.the bad news is that you can only do so from 6pm until 10am.if you want to stay longer you have to pay the usual day time rates (double if you take up more than 1 bay). this seems to amount to £4.30 (£8.60 double). so if my maths serves me right that's a minimum of £9.30 per 24 hour stay without any facilities.seems a bit steep to me.i know it's only a trial until october, but they won't get a fair reading of who will use this aire regularly until the pricing, facilities etc are in place.

also, i have noticed that they advertise all their carparks as FREE from 6pm till 9am !!!!!!!!! is this just for cars ? a bit confusing to say the least.

trickydicky - 2012-04-24 3:26 PM

hi,just received good news that from this friday (27th) you can officially overnight at the swimming pool carpark in st. annes for £5.the bad news is that you can only do so from 6pm until 10am.if you want to stay longer you have to pay the usual day time rates......

...also, i have noticed that they advertise all their carparks as FREE from 6pm till 9am !!!!!!!!! is this just for cars ? a bit confusing to say the least.

I would've thought that "6pm until 10am" was all that'd be needed for "over-nighting"?..and at least they do give the option to use the park from before 6...

(..but if any longer was required then,surely folk should be looking at a campsite?...:-S )

As for their carparks being "FREE from 6pm til 9am!!!! ",well they may well be,if you were only parking in them,instead of "overnighting" in a van ..? ;-)

What's the betting that some will "take the mickey"(leave a mess/dump tanks etc)causing it to get pulled..?

I dare say the "..it's cheaper to go abroad anyway.." responses will be along in a minute... (lol)

I'd be quite happy with £5 for 6pm until 10am.

I don't think that is unreasonable for 16 hours parking - for that is what it is, parking. It's 31p per hour for goodness sake.

You're right though, someone will chime in with "it's free in France". The last time I looked, I have never reached Dover without paying for fuel to get there or managed (despite my best efforts at complaining) to cross the water for nowt.

I'll get me coat. Now.

Martyn

Of course what you say is correct Martyn, it is not free in France (although we have noticed fuel and wine is a bit cheaper when we get there!). What there is in France is more freedom for the motorvanner. Very, very few aires impose the restrictions St Annes propose, and why should they? The idea behind aires is that vanners stay and spend money in the town or village; restrictions such as these make this more difficult. This coupled with no services wiil almost certainly mean that this "trial" will be deemed a failure and the aire closed. Sorry but U.K. towns do not seem to get the aires concept at all.

robertandjean - 2012-04-25 8:32 PM

Of course what you say is correct Martyn, it is not free in France (although we have noticed fuel and wine is a bit cheaper when we get there!). What there is in France is more freedom for the motorvanner. Very, very few aires impose the restrictions St Annes propose, and why should they? The idea behind aires is that vanners stay and spend money in the town or village; restrictions such as these make this more difficult. This coupled with no services wiil almost certainly mean that this "trial" will be deemed a failure and the aire closed. Sorry but U.K. towns do not seem to get the aires concept at all.

Agreed, but of course what we motorhomers also need is somewhere to park in the daytime...most towns simnply don't want us, and they lose out in a big way I think...espcailly where P&R facilities have height barriers!

We try to find a campsite in UK where we can get public transport, but that frankly is often a joke. Currently we are at the CC site called 'Knaresborough' - yes there is public transport, 4 buses per day into Knaresborough (1/2hr walk otherwise (which is what we have done several days), but they don'tlink up with buses to other places, and tickets are not valid over differnet operators services, and as for teh timetables, well they are almost impossible to wrok out which buses actually go where.

Last week we were at Chirk, and the same problems were experienced, but even worse, the buses showed incorrect route numbers and destinations, the timetables on the internet was different to the automated sigens on the stops, which were different to the printed timetables posted on the stops! And the local information brochure was entitled 'Explore by Public Transport'....what a joke, certainly no 'joined up' thinking !

Why couldnt they have just put an hourly charge pay and display with a 24 hour option for motorhome of say a fiver? Loads of car parks in Europe do this. Park the van at 3pm and you have all the next morning to clear off and dont need to worry about getting another ticket.

Either they want it to fail or as others have said dont get the Aires idea.

Personally I wouldnt stay there anyway as I would rather stay out of town a bit on a quiet CL. For about the same money but with facilities.

Perhaps it may well be to do with the fact that St Annes is a very affluent area.

It certainly doesn't need jack & jill running to the local boulangerie, (sorry, Lidl) for a 50p loaf and a couple of cans of cheap coke.

I cheerfully concede the aire mentality would help some towns & villages. But St Annes - I think not.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2012-04-26 1:31 PM

It certainly doesn't need jack & jill running to the local boulangerie, (sorry, Lidl) for a 50p loaf and a couple of cans of cheap coke.

Martyn

Exactly Martyn..and I think "Motorhomers" need to be honest about how much they *actually* spend when stopping over somewhere...apart from as you say,for a few cheap "essentials" to top up stock. :-S

I would imagine with businesses struggling,the last thing any local council or cafe'/shop /B&B owners want to see, are rows of MHs parked up(on the prom' or headland etc?),with their "self-sufficient" owners just sitting in or beside their vans,taking in the views,whilst consuming their own food and drink... :-S

There was a thread on here,concerning Scarborough(I think?),where it seems that they'd had MH parking but because it had abused(overnighting,dumping of waste/rubbish etc)they were looking at withdrawing it and putting up barriers... *-)

I do feel that for spending a day in a town or "resort",the likes of Park&Rides could(should!) be better used..

Well it maybe that all some of you do is buy a couple of cheap items from Aldi or similar but that does not apply to all of us. We, for example, always have coffee or a stronger (!) drink in a local bar, often a meal in a resturant, shop local for most of our produce (we take only a limited amount of food with us), visit local museums, galeries etc and take local transport to say city centres. It is just not us doing this in France, as have read articles in the French press which point out that the spend of vanners staying on aires is much appreciated by the local communities. Maybe it is also the attitude of some British vanners that also needs to change if aires are ever to work here

robertandjean - 2012-04-26 2:33 PM

Well it maybe that all some of you do is buy a couple of cheap items from Aldi or similar but that does not apply to all of us. We, for example, always have coffee or a stronger (!) drink in a local bar, often a meal in a resturant, shop local for most of our produce (we take only a limited amount of food with us), visit local museums, galeries etc......and take local transport to say city centres.....

I was referrng to how much folk actually spend,when they're just "overnighting" for a few hours in a town centre carpark....not how much they spend whilst "on their hols" .. ;-)

What you've described above,is pretty much what we do....but when we're doing it,we've tended to have sited our van on a local campsite/CL and not on a town centre car park.....

(...and I certainly wouldn't be be using a town's carpark if I intended to have a drink in a local bar..I can just imagine what Plod would say,as he watches you walking back to the van,keys in hand... ;-) )

can i just put a few of you straight about st.annes. we used to live there,in fact we used to have a hotel there,and although it is a lovely town it does have it's problems just like any other town these days.it might be regarded as an "affulent" area to some, but in reality it has it's fair share of druggies, prostitutes and low life, and of course many people like ourselves who are there just to make a decent living, which i might add wasn't easy. the town also has an abundance of shops and restaurants which are constantly struggling to stay open , so to my mind, the presence of an aire and motorhomers can only be a good thing,as,like robertandjean and plenty of others, we regularly eat/drink out,shop in m&s,(yes m&s) and spend money in general.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Funny really, just this week I was reading an article extolling the virtues of Hunstanton and area as a part of the UK to visit. Putting my prejudices aside for a moment I used the wonderful Google earth street view to "walk" down the prom and the main car parks. ALL of them that I saw had height barriers, some set at as little as 2 metres. Now lets put aside the dodgy staying overnight cry that goes up from some quarters, the UK is fast becoming a height barrier no go area for anything other than the average saloon car, many 4x4 type vehicles would struggle to park in many of them as well, as would disabled adapted people carrier type vehicles.

I don't know why the local councils just don't erect a sign prohibiting M/homes altogether as we enter their districts. IMO it is a F*****g joke, but so many folk seem complacent about it, or just bugger off to France ( like us ) instead, just wish they could move Dover 360 miles closer to us. ;-)

The thing is though even if you do just overnight and spend £5 and nothing else. Its a fiver they wouldnt have had otherwise. There are thousands of car parks across the UK that just sit empty on a night. If you like it and you live nearby perhaps you will come back and next time have a meal. You might come every weekend. Sometimes you spend, sometimes you dont. Your average weekender coming to a hotel will probably come once a year!

If its free and easy, they will come and whilst some will spend nothing, others will and the thing is there is little or no investement for the council anyway so they cant lose. We know it works in France and ITaly and Germany etc etc etc. You cant help spend money motorhoming. You always need basic provisions and often fuel and most people will have a snack or even Fish and Chips.

Problem is as well all know is the Brits just cant stand to see anyone getting a free ride and councils are scared s**tless of their own shadows. Stuff em. I cant be bothered with it all and would rather go to france anyway.

1footinthegrave - 2012-04-26 9:35 PM

Funny really, just this week I was reading an article extolling the virtues of Hunstanton and area as a part of the UK to visit. Putting my prejudices aside for a moment I used the wonderful Google earth street view to "walk" down the prom and the main car parks. ALL of them that I saw had height barriers, some set at as little as 2 metres. Now lets put aside the dodgy staying overnight cry that goes up from some quarters, the UK is fast becoming a height barrier no go area for anything other than the average saloon car, many 4x4 type vehicles would struggle to park in many of them as well, as would disabled adapted people carrier type vehicles.

I don't know why the local councils just don't erect a sign prohibiting M/homes altogether as we enter their districts. IMO it is a F*****g joke, but so many folk seem complacent about it, or just bugger off to France ( like us ) instead, just wish they could move Dover 360 miles closer to us. ;-)

There is a Coach Park in Hunstanton with access to the Promanade. which can be used for ANY vehicle that can't access the height barriered carparks. Almost opposite Tesco.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?ss=car+parking&where1=Hunstanton%2c+Norfolk&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-gb&ac=false&tbox=1&FORM=LARE#JnE9Lmh1bnN0YW50b25jYXIlMmJwYXJraW5nJTJiJTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTUyLjk0NzQxMTU4MDYyMjQlN2UwLjQ2Njc3NTk1Mzc2OTY5NCU3ZTUyLjk0NTU1OTQyMjYyNzQlN2UwLjQ2MjExOTYzODkxOTg0

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes I saw that one, but to be honest given your circumstances you should be jumping up and down as much as me that you are denied access to the same car parks as anyone else. Also the one you point out say's quite clearly "Coach Park",and given the petty minded councils attitude to us motor home users I would not want to take the risk and come back to a penalty notice. Had the same problem in Torquay, it is infuriating to be driving round looking for somewhere to park, when access is prevented to more and more parking area's.

It simply is not on that this creeping cancer of height barriers everywhere should be tolerated by any of us. My PVC will fit in the average car parking space, so what the hell difference does my height make, it's a nonsense, like so much of the petty crap we have enforced on us by some twit in a council office, the latest one we have in our neck of the woods is a Motorhome prohibited notice all along the sea front, I'm guessing the entire road would have height barriers, but for the difficulty that would create for delivery vehicles. >:-(

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the actual reason(s) why car park owners go to the expense of installing barriers anyway? I can think of many speculative reasons but am unsure of the fact(s).

There must be some compelling reason(s).

Before everyone shrieks 'pikey', think about it - there are loads of car parks all over the place, many in rural locations and in public body control that are unrestricted and yet never attract 'travellers'.

Most of the height barrier controlled car parks that get a mention on here are town / city / seaside based - places where 'travellers' are not especially or historically inclined to infest.

The increasing appearance of no motorhome signs also tends to suggest that the perceived problem is not particularly travelling gypsies.

So why?

crinklystarfish - 2012-04-27 9:44 AMJust out of curiosity, does anyone know the actual reason(s) why car park owners go to the expense of installing barriers anyway? I can think of many speculative reasons but am unsure of the fact(s).

There must be some compelling reason(s).

Before everyone shrieks 'pikey', think about it - there are loads of car parks all over the place, many in rural locations and in public body control that are unrestricted and yet never attract 'travellers'.

Most of the height barrier controlled car parks that get a mention on here are town / city / seaside based - places where 'travellers' are not especially or historically inclined to infest.

The increasing appearance of no motorhome signs also tends to suggest that the perceived problem is not particularly travelling gypsies.

So why?
Hi I think you will find the main reason for the height barriers is to stop fly tipping

You can overnight on the jetty at Lytham for free, 6pm 'til 9am. The view is Granny's Bay one side, and Fairhaven Lake the other. This is much quieter than the busy and potentialy noisier St Annes aire.

About 5 miles separate the two.

regards

Allen

Visited this car park today, it is shared by a cinema, a bowling alley and there is a large pub next door. parking bays are 8' x 16' and parking is only allowed in the central bays not near the sea wall. It says on the board that you must park 'within the bay' or pay for more bays, we worked it out that our unit would need at least 2 bays as we are 20'8" long and 8'3" wide. But this would mean we could not open our door or drop the step if any other vehicle parked at the side of us. we worked it out that if we arrived at our ususal time of 4.30pm it could cost us 2 bays at £2.10 each plus 2 bays at £5 per night total £14.20 this I feel is far to much for a simple car park with no facilities. We also checked all the other car parks in the area and found NEW signs stating no overnight motor home parking, So bang goes the lovely nights at Fair haven Jetty. BUT cars can still park overnight for free, why do we have to pay and what are we paying for. Don't object to paying normally but this is a CAR park not even marked out for larger units.

Visited this car park today, it is shared by a cinema, a bowling alley and there is a large pub next door. parking bays are 8' x 16' and parking is only allowed in the central bays not near the sea wall. It says on the board that you must park 'within the bay' or pay for more bays, we worked it out that our unit would need at least 2 bays as we are 20'8" long and 8'3" wide. But this would mean we could not open our door or drop the step if any other vehicle parked at the side of us. we worked it out that if we arrived at our ususal time of 4.30pm it could cost us 2 bays at £2.10 each plus 2 bays at £5 per night total £14.20 this I feel is far to much for a simple car park with no facilities. We also checked all the other car parks in the area and found NEW signs stating no overnight motor home parking, So bang goes the lovely nights at Fair haven Jetty. BUT cars can still park overnight for free, why do we have to pay and what are we paying for. Don't object to paying normally but this is a CAR park not even marked out for larger units.

So it would appear that after all the good publicity over the last few months back to last year about St Annes providing motorhome parking and all the good threads and positive posts on not just this but all the forums what we are left with is a car park with no facilities at the price of a campsite and restrictions put on the up until now free places to park in the area!

Smacks of either a monumental cock up or a deliberate attempt to drive us away. Either way I have several thousands of crispy pounds to be spending this summer and guess where they will be spent? Ill give you a clue, my first stop will be Dover.

Guest Peter James
josie gibblebucket - 2012-04-29 9:23 PM

Its a whopping £12 to park a motorhome during the daytime at Dunwich Heath car park (National Trust) 8-)

Needless to say, we decided not to park there

National Trust Land is as much yours as anyone elses, as a registered charity it is practically exempt from tax, but somebody has to pay their directors £220,000 +++ salary packages http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-knowledge-base/16130-national-trust-members-true-3.html

Archived