Lost water

Wingpete

I have now had a few (4 or 5) experiences of sitting in the van and hearing the water pump start gurgling away, to see outside, all my fresh water disapearing down the road. Examined the auto drain valve, which should not have opened as temps way above the 8c for auto operation. It seemed to be open by virtue of the red knob being in the upermost position, according to Truma handbook However the Laika handbook says open is down. Any idea of which is correct. ? And must I turn the electric pump off after each use of a tap, to conserve the tankfull ?

We had a Laika 400i and often emptied the water tank when something fell on to the switch which was situated in the bottom of the wardrobe. We got around this by putting a clothes peg on the switch so the red button could not move down. one has to be carefull in the winter using this system. Don

Hi, on the Truma auto drain valve it is closed when the red knob is up. As Don says you can "fix" it in this position with a clothes peg. Regarding switching the pump off after each use it's not common practice but we do. The reason is fairly simple, our 'van has a pressurised water system which is fine as long as there are no leaks. It's not unusual for the non return valve in the pump to not seal 100% and after a while the pressure in the system fades off, the pressure switch connects and the pump gives a little "burp" to bring the pressure back up. Not much of a problem you might think but it can be very irritating in the middle of the night. One other reason for switching the pump off when it's not in use is the thought of what might happen if a pipe came off or split. Our 'van has an eighteen gallon water tank and the thought of a pipe coming off in the back of a cupboard and the pump then emptying eighteen gallons of cold water into that cupboard means we switch ours off. How much faith have you got in the assembler's skill and care? It's a personal choice. D.

We always turn the pump off when leaving the van. Just once we forgot. Took the washing across to the laundry room, put it in the machine, walked back to the van. And there, underneath was a large puddle of water, and the sound of a working pump. Fortunately we had only just filled the tank and we had got back before the last of the tank had been used up so the pump was not damaged. The cause of the leak? When we had got the soap powder out from the undersink cupboard we must have caught one of the water feed pipes and it had become detached. On that van, a Lunar, there was a green light that came on when the pump switch was in the on position, so you could always check from outside. Unfortunately our current van does not have this so many is the occasion when we have locked up, walked away- and gone back to double check.

Archived