Brian James Micro Max And Toyota iQ3 Motorcar

Frank McAuley

I refer to above or anythother "similar" combination. Does anybody have experience or knowledge as to the feasibility or otherwise of loading or unloading one of these small vehs from a similarly small trailer?

Is it possible to load or unload(safely) if the trailer is unhitched from the motorhome ? :-S

Some trailers come with drop down steady s or you could have them fitted,

I am not sure that these are for loading or unloading unhitched or just an aid.

Personally I would not load unhitched. However because I found the ramps to be a pain, I now use a tilt bed, brilliant and with a tow bar on the toad I can move the trailer around the pitch, site or what ever with ease.

Roy

We have a smart car that we tow on a Smart Trailer. It has a jockey wheel by the tow hitch and a pair of steadies that you drop down before putting the ramps in place. We have no problem what so ever getting the car on or off and it is tight. Hubby drives it on and I guide him by standing next to the hitch. The trailer is perfectly balanced with or without the car, but we would never drive car on if it was not attached to the motorhome.

The bit that takes the most time is the strapping of the car down, the whole operation takes about 20-30 minutes, needless to say we don't use it very much, prefer to take our bikes.

I've seen a few failed attempts at loading vehicles onto trailers not hitched to anything but I've never seen a successful attempt at same. Without being hitched to a vehicle the trailer is too light to stay put when you try to drive a tonne or so of car onto it, it does need to be hitched to the towing vehicle before loading or unloading.

D.

I can't see the problem on loading a smart when trailer not hitched.

I have a smart car and a smart trailer which is fitted with a motor mover, I always unhitch the trailer from

M/H when I get near pitch then move trailer with car on to beside M/H, put on H/Brake, lower rear steadies

And remove car, I have used trailer as park when on site,can't quite see why there is an issue with this if done correctly.

One problem with an IQ, is that you should not fix a towbar, so powered "minor" movements where physically manhandling are difficult, (ie gravel, soft ground) are not possible.

Although Thule do market a bar for mounting a towball bike rack, the ball is not compatible with trailer hitchs.

(Might be possible to modify the bar though ?)

Rgds

I refer to last two comments:

When you park the trailer with car on and steadies down the car can be removed (unhitched from M/H): can you put it back on the trailer in the same configuration?

I am currently having movers fitted to the B J trailer to allow me to move the car and trailer as a number of sites in France prefer me to remove the trailer from the mhome before going unto the pitch BUT I had my doubts about unloading/loading whilst unhitched - I am happy that I can manoeuvre the trailer with the car loaded with the movers.

My initial response was to have a towbar fitted to the iQ3 but, as far as I can establish, this is not possible.

This would have been much cheaper but fitting the movers was the only alternative as the thought of unloading/loading the car each time was not appealing. My reversing skills wouldn't be that hot either!

This is all due to the move from two wheels to four- getting (got) old!! :'(

I've towed a Smart on a Brian James Bantam trailer for the past 6 years and, whilst I normally load/unload while hitched, I have also done both while unhitched and never found a problem.

Jockey wheel down, handbrake on, rear steadies down - and Bob's your uncle!

Archived