free standing awning

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

we in intend to come back to Spain for 3-4 months after this Christmas. Need a good strong awning to extend the living area. Have found these Globus ones, look good quality but high price....Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative. seeing as it will be up for months I don't think the Kyham type will be suitable..needs to be proper material

http://www.laleisure.co.uk/globus-iii-motorhome-awning-no2-12-p.asp

Guest JudgeMental

is that the dormea pelmet? they look OK, good value but steel frame, looks a bit small, probably fine with a CB but with a panel van....

just looking at some French Trio ones..

Globus 2 is 3.2 x 2.25 seen it for around £1100. if I can get it for £1000. I dont think that is to bad......... it gets windy down here in Spain! want something up to the job, wind warm now but when we arrived if it blows in the evening it can be cutting.

some of the permenant awnings on site cost £5000 *-) Pelmet! you OK!lol

Just curious...What sort of weight(and "bulk")are those "traditional/caravan" type of driveaway awnings?

..and how long do they take (and how much of a faff)are they to put up?...

It's just that on the few occasions we've been away with caravan owning friends,it always seemed to take them a good 11/2hrs+ to get their awning "fully" up and pegged..

(..what with "curtains",groundsheet,draught skirts etc)

..also when it was all packed down,it seemed to take up most of the caravan floor and a fair bit of the boot of their Mondeo..? :-S

Guest pelmetman

Its the Sunncamp Maestro HT Eddie.............and apparently it was less than £300 so I'm told by er in doors... :D

It takes about an 1 or so to put up, but we only use it if on site for a week or more, but have the wind out Fiamma with Sunblockers which are very good for when we are moving on regularly ;-)............We also have a Argos special £40 gazebo with sewn in fly netting ideal for use where mozzies are a problem :D............When start we long terming and spending months on a pitch, I intend to put the whole lot up, tried it once on a CC site......the warden had a fit(lol) (lol)

When we were down there in January we had a "warm" gale :D............and I was out at 3 in the morning securing our windbreaks, fortunately didn't have our fiamma out............... we noticed next day someone else who had left their's wound out had a nice big rip *-)

PS Pepe they weigh about 35kg ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
pepe, approx 30kg normally in 2 bags, frame and tent. I would not bother with the hassle of one for a weekend or for touring. But for a 3-4 month stay in Spain over winter months, more or less essential I think,.......

Guest JudgeMental
peedee - 2012-04-25 12:56 PM

I don't know what the life of a Khyam would be but you could buy 4 of them for the price of a Globus!

peedee

we had the motorhome Khyam, from memory about £400. fine for weekend or a few weeks, thin carbon poles and very fine material..built for lightness etc....pretty confident that it would not be up to the job, plus to small.

Really a different sort of awning required for long term winter use, even in Spain!

Take today for instance, 24 deg and nice and sunny but wind really blowing, had planned long bike ride but forget it, no fun cycling into a brick wall...... manyana! :D

Eddie...

Go steady with all this talk of a sturdy awning to increase living space and to "use as a base"...etc

...or they'll be a caravan somewhere,with your name on it,if you're not careful!.. (lol)

(..but don't worry,I dare say it will be continental built and supplied via a German dealer..so it wouldn't be ALL bad... (lol) (lol) )

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2012-04-25 1:42 PM

Eddie...

Go steady with all this talk of a sturdy awning to increase living space and to "use as a base"...etc

...or they'll be a caravan somewhere,with your name on it,if you're not careful!.. (lol)

(..but don't worry,I dare say it will be continental built and supplied via a German dealer..so it wouldn't be ALL bad... (lol) (lol) )

Probably..I'm no mug:-D

caravan! never, cant get on with tugging or all the hassle

when I had my (USA imported:-D) VW Westphalia camper years ago, I looked around for an awning, liked nothing, and got a proper Westphalia one from Germany, was not cheap but used it for 6 years or so..you pays for what you gets. Will check German Reimo site next, I would think the globus German anyway (name of a Dethleff model camper)

There were a number of Harrison M/home drive away awnings around for give away prices. They are probably too heavy by to days standards.

We have one, and once it is up is nearly bomb proof.

There may be still some around in the classifieds. Prices seemed to have ranged from £50 to £150, for infrequently used items. From memory they cost a bout £350 new.

Rgds

Edited To say the awning looks very similar to the photo of Pelmetman awning

Guest pelmetman
Our friends who are tuggers have the type that you zip onto the roll out....... and it drips with condensation........where as the traditional type fabric doesn't seem to ;-)

We have just bought a "new" 2009 Ventura Freestander for exactly the same reasons as Judgemental, we have seen what the wind in Spain can do to lightweight awnings. We are new to motorhoming but have experience of erecting awnings but have no idea of how to attach a driveaway awning to a Ducatto PVC. Any advice would be much appreciated especially the best way to attach the "tunnel", over the top of the van with guy lines? to the Fiamma rail via a 4mm/6mm adaptor? The instructions supplied with the awning are in Ginglish and the illustrations not up to the Ikea standard!

Thanks, (?)

Guest JudgeMental
quickweh - 2012-05-01 3:14 PM

We have just bought a "new" 2009 Ventura Freestander for exactly the same reasons as Judgemental, we have seen what the wind in Spain can do to lightweight awnings. We are new to motorhoming but have experience of erecting awnings but have no idea of how to attach a driveaway awning to a Ducatto PVC. Any advice would be much appreciated especially the best way to attach the "tunnel", over the top of the van with guy lines? to the Fiamma rail via a 4mm/6mm adaptor? The instructions supplied with the awning are in Ginglish and the illustrations not up to the Ikea standard!

Thanks, (?)

funny that...have been offered the same awning by a member today by PM, will follow it upon our return as they look OK. is yours the tall or shorter model? Seeing as I have a PVC as well, the intention was just to attach over roof with guy lines pegged in ground on other side...

just put it up in garden and experiment, and buy some rolls of different colour insulation tape, and tape up frame with different colours..sooooo much easier to erect from then on

I will only take it to Spain if staying for months on end...to heavy for touring or even a few weeks.......strictly Spanish winter camping me thinks!

found another German awning, looks top quality as well like Globus called a concorde it is on Reimo web site.cost over £700...a lot cheaper then globus though.

So 6 weeks in a PVC no problem, can easily envisage months on end in one, provided weather reasonable and I have a good awning. Did start thinking if I am to do this as a regular winter thing, a bigger van would be better but have changed my mind back and more then happy with my comfortable likle PVC that has everything we need....

I go in my neighbours large motorhomes and I really see no point in the large floor area that you end up looking at most of the time? serves no practical purpose and certainly a chore on the road....

We purchased our first awning for use with our Burstner Salano Motorhome especially for our 4 month stay in Benidorm.

We were more than pleased with the purchase at only £89.99 although on the web site they are listed at £99.99 - they with take an offer

Its a Stratford Awning and only weighs 8.5kgs

Look at http://www.cool-out.co.uk/goods.php?id=3562

Good piece of kit

David

Already taped the frame and dropped the canvas over , so no problems there. Another advantage of these awnings is that you can use them as a separate shed/kitchen, very common to see them set up like this in Spain, especially with PVCs if you use them to get out and about.

Assembled the frame in the back garden, dropped the canvas over the frame, colour coded the frame, all very good as far as the awning space is concerned :-). Then the head scratching, how much space is needed by the sliding door, the end of the awning overlapping the passenger door, no guttering on the latest Ducatto. Do I put guy ropes over the top of the Fiamma F45? or use the awning channel on the F45 with the 4mm/6mm connecting "Kador Strip" http://www.driveaway-awnings.co.uk/products/Kador-Strip-6mm-to-4mm.html?fullSite=1

Can I use the F45 with the Kador strip to tension the tunnel section? There is a fairly good video on the Ventura web side showing how to assemble the awning but it is sketchy on the connection to the van. I guess wait until the weather improves and experiment. :-)

You could confidently use one of the following driveaway awnings in Spain, as we have for the past three years, and afford nearly ten of them for the price of a Globus:

http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/motor_awnings/224-aspect

We found it ideal for a PVC, which is what we bought it for, and it has coped admirably with Spain's winter weather which, as you say, can be a bit windy!

Archived