European breakdown cover

pmcclure

Heading off to euro land for the first time in a couple of weeks and thought it best if I get some type of breakdown cover just in case. The motorhome is a Burstner Solano and its 7.1 metres long and the V5 document says the revenue weight is 4000kg gross

Could you wonderful people out there recommend which company and type of cover I should go for.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Read the small print when you take out cover standard AA & RAC cover is only for vehicles up to 3500kg and has a width limit I think 2.2m.

RAC Arrival via the C&CC wavers these restrictions but it's expensive, best one for independent cover without restrictions is probably ADAC it's about 87€ for annual cover.

Also worth seeing what your insurance company can offer, Comfort Insurance annual cover is £59 and covers a total of 365 days abroad (not full timing), saga is around the same price so if you are planning more than one trip might be worth changing insurers.

ADAC are a good price with excellent cover.

If you ring them up they will speak in English and you can pay by credit card (they send a form in the post, they don't seem to do it over the phone.) +49 89 76 76 70 should get you there.

H

Probably the most complete cover, it also includes Travel Insurance, is CC's Red Pennant. It's a lot more expensive than the others referred to above, but we use it for complete peace of mind. If your grasp foreign languages is weak, they will do all the negotiation with garages etc. for you. If you want a replacement vehicle (won't be a motorhome!) to continue your trip using hotels, it can be covered.

It's a personal choice and very much a case of you get what you pay for.

Archived