Which printer for the van?What do you use ?Ink cartrige cost/chiped

plumbersvan

:-S Which printer?

I once again "replaced" my canon i90 :'( I bought an Epson SX445sw which have very low power requirement less than 1amp i was told *-) I Asked the sales person if the ink cartriges are chipped as HP printers are,i made it clear i wanted a printer firstly that did not have chipped ink,second low power as it was for a camper thirdly simple to prepair for the road :-|

The epson is power friendly,is with just one taped block,road ready. B-) Its also quite light weight & compact *-) Its a multi printer,wi-fi,copier & printer :-D BUT after a dozen pages it stopped,refusing to print copy blocked :-( :'( until i bought new ink 8-) :-S

Found an ink shp B-) very helpful,i carried the printer into the shop where the ink was weighed *-) The black was "almost" empty the color were not.Less almost *-) :-S

The ink cartriges were replaced with larger ones and it was explained that the "chips" will cancel printing when its thought the ink is low. 8-) :'( They will prevent ink cartriges that are passed their sell by date stop their use :-( :'(

I paid for the replacements which i havnt yet used.

Since the printer stopped,i began using my cannon i90,the same shop cleaned the print head which now prints perfectly.I bought new ink for the i90 and since then i havnt used with the Epson.Yesterday i printed 10 pages at which point there was a pause in printing 8-) While i was told the black ink was empty 8-) :-( :-(

I went on to print another 29 pages almost all with clear black print :-D This morning i printed another 11 pages :-D with of course the printer once again declairing emptiness 8-)

Should the epson follow the tom tom to the bin (?) *-)

Which printer do you use?IF the epson were not chiped it would be very useful as it is it simply wont print when needed :-(

I'd be surprised if many motorcaravanners (other than people who use their motorhomes as 'work' vehicles perhaps) would carry what is still a pretty bulky piece of kit with them on their travels. Assuming that the SX445SW is much the same as the SX445W, user reviews are mixed. Reliability seems to be the main complaint, though I noted one comment saying that ink cartridges didn't last long.

:'( no they dont,i dont mind the rapid vanising of the ink as much as i mind not being able to print when a chip says empty 8-)

I made some prints for the camper a few post cards with the camper included,then put it away.The last prints were very good rich color deep blacks

About a week later i wanted to copy a form and since it has a photocopy i got it out only to find it wouldnt print at all until i changed the ink cartriges

The next time i printed lots of things i really didnt need only to see how many more prints were possiable,Lots with colors slowly fading.Once off the chip blocks more printing

My canon isnt very good its not ment to be as it was a work printer which i found ideal for travelling with,it dose have the advantage as i said of simply telling you the inks finnished but leaves the desision to print with eventualy pedused quality

Even now after lots of printing with an empty black i know i can print a few more pages or take my canon i80 scanner out and copy 8-)

As win 7 is restricted i cant use the scanner but can use the printer 8-)there for i need a laptop with XP as well. When i couldnt find a canon i bought the epson i didnt want a large multi ethnic thing just a printer but thats not so easy to find and so i have an epson multi cultural product that like the tom tom ive discovered i dont realy want

I suppose i rather hoped i could leave the scanner and XP laptop somewhere and just have the Epson

Bin i suppose once its blocked again

It is a bit big but i have lots of space 8-) The under bed storage is still almost empty :-( Just enough to stop things sliding about down there

Im amazed just what people take with them 8-)

Years ago I used to use a Canon printer which was battery powered which I used in conjuction with a laptop out on the road. Printing invoices, product details or anything I might have left with a customer.

I still do work from the van when away but no longer need a printer. Everything is online now and anything I need to print I just save as a PDF and email. Same with stuff like Aires or places of interest. I just google them when I am online and save them as PDF files for later reading either on the laptop or my iPhone.

The little Canons were always good though

First, the tomtom was declared unfit for purpose. Now the Epson is heading for the bin....you also say you need an XP laptop because Windows 7 is restricting you......

Fiona, I love your quirky posts but do you think that there is a message here, a recurring theme perhaps?

A poor workman......

:-D Yes indeed,i might have agreed with you not so long ago :-( But then i found a text message system than needs neither phone nor internet :-D 8-) When it was installed the person setting it up asked me if i had a laptop running XP 8-) It seems files(and i hope i get this right)saved in c/programfiles/application are locked or very restricted :'(

Vista and win7 were developed to safeguard windows and by chance prevent softwear that microsoft and sony felt may undermine their copyrights in my case,im told,prevents the flow of onformation and saveing of data :'(

To some extent (i was told)it can be overcome by changing the file location 8-) :'( But by far the best way to be sure a system runs well is to use a laptop running XP :-(

As for the tom tom,yes it works and i liked it :-D Until once again a tourist office gave me a camping car brochure which listed the designated campingcar parkings and airs :-D ALL were indicated with an arrow where they were located but the address was a GPS coordinate :'( I had to cue uo again to ask for the name of the road :'(

Tom tom could NOT find the road name in its list :-S My very very old garmin took me there,I am indeed again blameing my tools but with good reason

As for the Epson when i wanted to print out instructions i found one cartrige needed changing result blocked cant print. :'( Once again i took out the canon battery powered and still able to print several pages with a very old battery and empty ink cartridge :-S If Epson Tom tom are examples of progress i will join the ludites B-)

plumbersvan - 2012-04-26 8:27 AM

:-D Yes indeed,i might have agreed with you not so long ago :-( But then i found a text message system than needs neither phone nor internet :-D 8-) When it was installed the person setting it up asked me if i had a laptop running XP 8-) It seems files(and i hope i get this right)saved in c/programfiles/application are locked or very restricted :'(

Vista and win7 were developed to safeguard windows and by chance prevent softwear that microsoft and sony felt may undermine their copyrights in my case,im told,prevents the flow of onformation and saveing of data :'(

To some extent (i was told)it can be overcome by changing the file location 8-) :'( But by far the best way to be sure a system runs well is to use a laptop running XP :-(

As for the tom tom,yes it works and i liked it :-D Until once again a tourist office gave me a camping car brochure which listed the designated campingcar parkings and airs :-D ALL were indicated with an arrow where they were located but the address was a GPS coordinate :'( I had to cue uo again to ask for the name of the road :'(

Tom tom could NOT find the road name in its list :-S My very very old garmin took me there,I am indeed again blameing my tools but with good reason

As for the Epson when i wanted to print out instructions i found one cartrige needed changing result blocked cant print. :'( Once again i took out the canon battery powered and still able to print several pages with a very old battery and empty ink cartridge :-S If Epson Tom tom are examples of progress i will join the ludites B-)

Your right. The quality of technology is crap compared to what it was years ago. Ok, it can do much more (although the likes of TomTom taking away GPS is crazy on some models) but the built quality is not as good. Windows XP Service pack 3 was spot on. Whilst windows 7 has some good features as someone who works in IT everything ran better under XP Service pack 3 but to be fair it took Microsoft years to get that OS right.

Guest JudgeMental

was trying to help someone on site with a new Garmin the other day......It just seemed far less instinctive and straightforward to use then my 3 year old model. I appreciate I am used to my model but have had Garmin for over 12 years,new model seemed either stripped down, simplified? but certainly more difficult to use.

I will select new sat nav with great care *-)

printer? internet cafe? :-S

I went to a shop that once had somone that knew how to install windows or Linux could also repair PCs,he did have a lot of customers,the shop is there but its been closed for ages and his phones off

Its almost impossibale to find someone that understands windows.I intention,if i ever find somewhere,is to have win XP installed on a current net book or 12 inch laptop if the new generation of Intel and AMD offer very low power consumption and not just on stand by

My Toshiba on eco power uses 9w & from time to time 11w(it has a power graph to see whats what)The AMD 450 on current 12/13 inch laptops can use 20w and more 8-)

As a camping carist im doing my best to use only solar power.Though i must say this camping is very comfortable :-D

How can i install win XP to say an Asus?

Archived