Water Ingress

THE SHEPHERD

Guest Tracker

Go on then - tell us what the awful van of yours is.

I could take a guess at a couple of makes whose offerings consistently meet your own van's failings - but that would be unfair!

German, specifically Karmann then Hymer and maybe another German one that I won't name.

I would have bought a Karmann but they are a lot more expensive so I settled for second best (IMHO) Hymer.

I h\ave seen 40 year old Hymers abroad that have never been resealed and have never leaked!

H

Guest 1footinthegrave
THE SHEPHERD - 2012-04-26 1:52 PM

Nominations PLEASE for a Motor Homes that does not.

A Leak within the first 10 years

B Rattle and clank on any half decent road.

What ever it is could be my next purchase as I am sick to death of this one.

Many Thanks TS

A good quality PVC, try an IH like ours which is coming up to just over 9 years old, ZERO rattles, car like handling, all the kit you'd find in a coachbuilt, it's a steel roof with ZERO joins so no worries about leaks, doubters may say can be prone to rust because it;s all metal, I say don't look underneath your average coachbuilt chassis especially if it is a Fiat. ;-)

Biggest mistake i made was to sell my last van ( Adria Coral 680SL ), i thought we would trade up.

I couldn`t have got it more wrong if i`d have tried !

I`ll NEVER EVER touch another british van.

The Adria Coral did 15,000 miles in 18 months, it never missed s beat and was as good the day we traded it in as the day we bought it. No rattles, no squeaks and everything but everything worked perfectly.

Hind-sight is a wonderful thing, it`s just a shame you can`t get it in advance.

Guest JudgeMental

some on here laughably look down their noses at Adria, they are very well put together, and were on my short list if we went for another coachbuilt.......As it was we went for Adria panel van and happy that we did.

My EuraMobil suffered leaks and damp at 4 years old, but was sorted without fuss by belgian/german dealer, the Profila was a new budget range of EuraMobil and had its problems, but would happily buy again from their other range like the Terrestra etc....

The Belgian dealer was closer to me then brownills :-D brownills wanted £45,000 i bought from Belgium for £32,000. Was offered £28,000 4 years later but bought from a German dealer as I wanted the Adria, he gave me £28,000 as well. So depreciation over 4 years £4000. We have saved £20,000 just on last 2 vans buying from Europe, that covers a lot of travel expenses if required..but why would that be required, the chassis covered by pan pan-European warranty and so is the equipment,heating,toilet, fridge etc...

I bought a camper from Sweden and had trouble with the ALDE heating and underfloor heating, the engineer came to my house, if it had been out of warranty I would have to bring to ALDE UK...big deal...

So buy british and be shocked when you recieve good service! lol and feel so concerned you have to live down the road from dealer/factory and pay a hell of a lot more for the privilege........Or buy from Europe were competition so high for your custom, good service and value second nature.

I haven't picked up on any 'sneering at Adria' vibe myself - maybe I've missed it.

Not really understanding how where a 'van is actually purchased makes it more or less prone to water ingress and rattles either (and aren't we in Europe any more?).

On the flipside to earlier post I also think it's too simplistic to say British = crap.

I accept that company culture and workforce ethic are almost certainly influenced by geographical (and hence political etc) factors but asserting a 'van will be better or worse simply based on country of origin is perhaps not the most reliable of arguments. At best it could highlight trends.

Build quality surveys on cars often throw up surprising results.

Mercedes build quality anyone?

Guest JudgeMental

Autotrail build good vans I believe at a price.... but Swift? :-S

its not all black and white obviously, but with the better German makes I feel your better of quality and price wise....

Not owned a German van so, can't comment on that, have owned 2 British vans, an early Autosleeper Monocoque Coach built ,1988, which is still going strong (in Ireland) leak free, and built like a 'Brick Outhouse' !! problem was the Talbot Cab, Chassis was fine but Cab panels all had to be replaced, due to dreaded 'Tin worm'. 2nd is an Autocruise Coachbuilt from 2005, not as well built as the Autosleeper, but not far off, Galvanised Alko chassis, Bodywork and joins fine (so far). Had Cab and underside flooring Wax-oyled. So, well pleased with 'These' British products, If i could go out today and buy a 'New' van it would probably be a Bentley, British small volume maker, with good Customer relations and innovative products. Not all British products are rubbish, it's just the 'Attitude' to customers of our large volume producers, and that attitude filters down to the production line workers. AND it must stop if they are to survive this recession. (*my experience from talking to Swift about spares for my 'pre-Swift' Autocruise). Long live Good Customer service, who-ever it's from. Ray

*Because of this i would never buy another Swift product.

had Swift caravans in the past.

Thank you all for your considerd views. I dont no why I have allways shied away from EURO vehicles, perhaps its got something about them trying to bomb me out of existance, but time move on, I am a slow learner and this is my forth vehicle from this British (God Save the Queen) company and as they were all trouble you think I would have learnt bye now. So out we go to look for a EURO Van. Many thanks to all TS

Guest JudgeMental

I think we bombed each other, we were ultimately better at it so we won...If you can call this winning

come on put us out of our misery what make of van have you got :D

the reality is the UK van you are driving is nearly entirely built with European parts, from chassis to fixtures and fittings and most everything to be honest. So you are paying a premium for what exactly. Right hand drive? Ah that must be it!lol

THE SHEPHERD - 2012-04-27 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your considerd views. I dont no why I have allways shied away from EURO vehicles, perhaps its got something about them trying to bomb me out of existance, but time move on, I am a slow learner and this is my forth vehicle from this British (God Save the Queen) company and as they were all trouble you think I would have learnt bye now. So out we go to look for a EURO Van. Many thanks to all TS

Start your home work here http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en

Good luck

Dave

JudgeMental - 2012-04-27 10:57 AM

its not all black and white obviously, but with the better German makes I feel your better of quality and price wise....

But doesn't your Adria originate from Slovenia then, Eddie (?)

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2012-04-27 10:08 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-04-27 10:57 AM

But doesn't your Adria originate from Slovenia then, Eddie (?)

Hi Flicka, was not talking about Adria...and yes Slovenian built, but don't think they are high end? Talking about the 10 makes that beat Hymer into11th place in a quality survey a few years ago, from the likes of Concorde, Niesmann Bischoff and Frankia.

Agreed that the high-end stuff like Concorde etc are right up there - and are better known, but perhaps no better built - than RS Motorhomes, SC Sporthomes, Lehel etc products - which is a fairer comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have anything made by Swift at half the sticker price, but that's no reason to dismiss everything made in GB; nor to be lulled into a false sense of security that just because it's German it's infallible.

My last A class was a Dethleffs and I spent the first six months of ownership stripping it out, addressing the shoddy workmanship, and rebuilding it properly. After that it didn't rattle - up to that point it was horrible.

I always think that any manufacturer that has the stones to build anything monocoque has to be worth a second look as they have clearly set out with a serious quality and reliability intent even though they know production costs won't be cheap. Wingamm and Esterel spring to mind.

Oh dear, I own a Swift.Must be really lucky it's still going after 2 whole years. Many thousands of pan European miles covered and no bits have yet fallen off. I know its not Concorde or Carthago but everything works as it should.

I've been to many shows and looked at hundreds of motorhomes and the brand that disappointed most was(oops) Adria. Catches were broken, doors not shutting properly, I even got looked in the loo of a Twin.

I have been happy with this vehicle which has a (horror) Fiat base. All well there, too. The layout suits us, local dealer great......ducks below parapet or should I just exit forum as a pariah?

Harsh I know, and I fully accept that many 'vans built within the Swift group do hang in there and provide good service. I'm genuinely happy for people when they get a good one, it's just that time and time and time again people aren't that lucky and I weirdly feel aggrieved by proxy when reading of the countless disappointed owners who have poured their savings into a lemon. 

Swift make a lot of lemons - the evidence is hard to ignore.

Archived