Dogs in Motor Caravans

cobrajim

As Norma says whats the difference, between the two. i wouldnt fancy a flying metal cage in my M/home. We saw a good one at Newbury it folded into a little rucksack. Waterproof, light and reasonable priced. You can get seat belt restraints for dogs. David

Hi Jim We love taking our dogs with us and invested in a German dog trailer which matches our Hymer colour scheme and graphics. It is made by WT-Metall in Bamberg and has three seperate kennels. It is light to tow, temperture controlled and beautifully made. See the website www.wt-metall.de and click on Thermo-Max. Not cheap but engineered to last and very safe. Dogs love it and jump in as soon as the doors open! Built in roof rack which takes bike carriers. The double door system means that it can be used as kennels on site. Delightful people to deal with and a stunning city and area of Germany to visit. Regards Pat

Hi Pat So pleased for you that your "dog" trailer matches the colour of your Hymer, oh how so importnat that must have been. How wonderful for you!!! I just feel soooo sorry for the porr dogs being subjected to travelling in such a way. Might as well stick them on an aeroplane and pick them up once you get where you are going. I for one could not possible travel without being able to see and hear my doggies and know that they are 100% ok. I dread to think what would happen in even the smallest accident :(((

How dissappointing that your first post is so sarcastic. The dogs are much safer than rattling around a MH or car for that matter. As for the colour scheme and graphics matching sheer chance but rather nice. Anyway I am sure you are off to the shops to get some lemons to suck on.

Steve We're a friendly bunch on here, if you want to join in you need to learn to play nice, it might not be your cup of tea to put your dogs in a trailer and, whilst I agree that I too want my dogs with me in the motorhome as well, there's no need to be sarcastic and critical in the way you were to the people who have obviously spent an awful lot of money on a purpose made trailer for their dogs, if that's what they want and they are happy that the dogs too are happy then so be it. I must admit I have concerns about dogs that are carried around in the garages of motorhomes, in a rear-end shunt I wouldn't want to think what would happen. Anyway, back to the point, dogs IN motorhomes. We take our 2 everywhere with us, they have their own very well padded comfy beds to snuggle down into as we travel, one behind the passenger seat under the dinnette table (for our nutcase cross staffie/greyhound) and another on the dinette seat (for the little hairy cross westie/jack russell). They both snuggle down whilst we're travelling but can stretch out easily, very important with the bigger dog. You can get dog harnesses which you can attach to seatbelts, they are fine for short journeys but more than 10 minutes or so, the dogs really want to be able to snuggle down and sleep, not that easy with a harness attached. It may not be the safest possible way to travel with dogs but I'm not going to make them 'suffer' for something that hopefully will never happen. On site, we use some expanding green bamboo trellis (not the thin strips stuff), which we place across the entrance door, it can be easily moved out of the way but stops the dogs popping out and allows them to stick their noses out for a snif. Very useful when stopping at the side of the road for a quick cuppa when you don't want the dogs to get out but want a bit of fresh air (we don't have a flyscreen door but I don't think that's stop our larger dog anyway!). We have a earthernware dogbowl which we keep topped up at all times, it's got an internal lip so that even on the move, unless we really do hurtling over speed bumps, it keeps the water in no problem. The biggest benefit is that you can leave the dogs in the motorhome with the vents open a little even on a really hot day and not worry unduly about them, not like having them stuck in a car which is a definite no-no. You'll find the dogs are much happier on the move as well. One important piece of advice - remove their balls!!! No, don't get worried, I'm on about their toys - you really don't want balls rolling around inside a motorhome whilst you're driving, it's asking for trouble as one will invariably end up under your feet. One of our dogs smuggled one in and promptly dropped it next to the drivers seat just as we were going round a corner ... fortunately it went towards the passenger seat but it could've been quite a nasty experience if it hadn't! That brings me to another point, if you do let your dogs potter in the motorhome make sure that they know not to go near the driver's feet, whether you use another bit of trellis or make sure they are taught this is up to you but you don't want a dog under your feet either. If there's anything else doggy-wise you have queries on just ask. Mel B

Hi Mel Thanks for your balanced reply which contained a lot of common sense points for those who wish to take their best friends with them. Thats exactly what this forum is for when someone asks a very valid question. We used to take our dogs in the MH until I visited the Royal Army Vetinary Corps HQ and saw the trailers they used to transport their dogs. I asked the handlers, because I admit that I had misgivings, whether the trailers were safe. They all agreed that they were and that the dogs, in their own lit and temperature controlled kennel, were not only safe but (the dogs) felt very secure in their own space. They pointed out that in a rear end shunt, whether in a car, van or MH like ours, an unrestrained dog (and our 2 Rotties weigh 42kgs each) could be travelling at high speed in the general direction of the driver and passengers heads. In addition, should the vehicle roll over, the dogs would have a greater chance of survival in a strong box rather than flying everywhere in a MH with all its sharp edges and loose equipment. That sold it for me but I fully accept that trailers are not for everyone. We bought our trailer on the strength of their recommendations and got it from the same manufacturer in Germany. Over 12000 of these trailers are in use worldwide, they are standard issue to most NATO Armies and European and US police forces, are built on an ALKO chassis and are fully tested to German TuV standards. I, like you, take my dogs welfare very seriously. They do not suffer from car sickness and as they are asleep for most of the journey they arrive calm and unstressed. We stop regularly for wee's and a stretch but as often as not they prefer to stay in the trailer! Kind regards Pat

Rotties are lovely dogs, I've yet to come across a nasty one, not what a lot of people think unfortunately. Our 2 tiddlers by comparison would never forgive us if we put them in a trailer, but then they are both rescue dogs and don't like confined spaces, such as kennels etc so they'd probably get very stressed. It's nice to know that you think so highly of your dogs to make sure they are safe and secure ... it sounds like luxury!!! I wish I could arrive at my holiday destination calm and unstressed ... better not give the husband an ideas though!!!

Hi Guys and Gals, If you cant be more constructive dont post on the Forum again Steve. Like Mel our Westie travels where he thinks is most comfortable, usualy under my wifes feet (not literaly) one settled he hardly ever moves only to go on his bed in the dinette. yes remove the toys to a safe place. We only use the screendoor to keep him in on site, but i dont think it would stop him if he was dtermined to get out. The plastic trellis sounds like a good idea. David

I am so sorry if i upset anyone by my comments, i was just being sincere and giving my honest opinion. I was just very shocked at the "kennel" that is being used to transport the dogs in. Rest assured i will leave any sarcasm out of any future posts, and i respect the decision they have made. They obviously love their doggies and having not used these trailers before i am not in a position to make a judgement. I also agree that putting the dogs in the "garage" unit of the motorhome is far worse. bye for now

There is one major snag with this form of communication. One person's humour is easily misinterpreted by everyone else. By this form of communication, I mean the written word. At least with sound you can hear sarcasm! And as for the trailer - we are back to the old subjective problem - one man's meat ... and boy motorhoming is certainly filled with subjectiveness. I've had enough of towing in the past, my horses - though the pony would have loved travelling up front with us - the dog is welcome to travel with us. Even if she 'less safe'. Enjoy your choice.

Hi Cobrajim We have a dog that goes everywhere with us home and abroad, it was one of the reasons we bought a MH. We only have one dog and he travels in a Dog-Bag. It is designed for dog travel, is lightweight, collapsable, we call it the igloo. Anyway visit WWW.Dog-bag.co.uk. If you want any more info send a PM.

Hi Cobrajim, we have a large dog (35 Kilo staffie boxer cross) who loves to travel in the 'van with us. We use a doggy travel harness which attaches to a rear seatbelt mounting point. This way he has room to roam, can get up on the side seat to watch the world go by or lie on the floor in his bed. In any accident he would at least be restrained and fly into the cab. The worst case scenario would be a rollover in which case he would end up hanging in his harness from the seatbelt, probably a better option than we get with lap and diagonal belting as his harness fits around his shoulders and under his chest with the attachment on his back. On site we usually let him wander in and out of the 'van as he likes, he's very well behaved and doesn't wander off. We keep a close eye on him as he's not used to children and their squeeling upsets him. I suspect he probably could eat a whole one so we don't give him the chance. D.

Hi Cobrajim We travel all over the place with our two dogs (one of them a Staffie/Greyhound cross Mel B!). One thing that we found that is different to car travel is that one dog is travel sick if she travels on the seat. We have to get her on to the floor (probably a bit safer too) and then she is fine. I think that it is because the motor home is bit like a boat as it goes along. Longest trip was Norfolk to Southern Spain. Dogs did not give us any problems except when said Staffy/Greyhound disappeared up a Spanish mountain after something in the pitch dark one night. Yes Mel B it was said Staffie/Greyhound. She is not normally naughty but hey she is a dog! Enjoy. Pat

Thanks to you all for your (in general) very helpful responses. At the moment the dogs travel in the back of the estate car, which tows a caravan. They have their own space and beds. The back seat protects us and them in the case of accident. Good driving works better of course. The dogs are rescue dogs, collie crosses, and are very lively. I think I shall look into doggie bags and unrestrictive harnesses. They both look good without the cost of a trailer. A trailer is what I am trying to lose! It does seem the safest way though and my dogs would settle happily, I think. Thanks to you all. By the way, how do you get these emoticons into the posting?

Hi Mel No not really except for that lovely expression! Gypsy is golden brindle all over with Just white on the tips of her toes and her chest. I think she takes after the Greyhound side more than the Staffie side. She came from a litter of 13! taken into the RSPCA by some gypsies with their mother when they were one day old. She is the loveliest, gentlest dog and very well behaved except when she sees anything remotely like a rabbit/hare/deer. Butch (we didn't name him) is her partner in crime though at 14 he is more of a sleeping partner. He, I think, is a corgi cross and again a brindle though much darker than Gypsy. We could easily be poachers because they blend in well with the undergrowth! Sorry I don't know how to put photos on. Pat

Archived