Motorhome rental - business venture

benge

I am looking into starting a motorhome rental business on a small scale. Has anyone got any views/advice on any of the issues that might arise? I own my own motorhome and have hired in the US for the last 7 years so I have a pretty good understanding of the principals involved. For instance, is it a viable business with a fleet of only one or two vehicles? Thanks David

David Have you tried to create a business plan for the venture? I would try this in the first instance and take it to a bank to see if they would lend on the basis of your projections. Most banks will provide advise to a putative business if a competent plan is produced. If they say no I would tend to agree with them. Other aspects to consider are the personal hassles of running your own business accounts, tax returns etc. What to do if one of your vehicles is involved in an accident or breaks down or is not returned in time. These factors go against a very small fleet Sorry to appear to be a merchant of doom but life can be hard enough without making it any harder. Best wishes Docted

I looked into this about about a year ago. I was looking for something to supplement my pension when I retire in a few years. I found two stumblng blocks: 1. The cost of hire and reward insurance was three to four thousand pounds per vehicle, and that's only for when it's on hire. You pay extra for personal use of the vehicle/s. 2. You need somewhere to operate from. If you're thinking of doing this from home you could run into problems with planning regulation etc, espcially if your neighbours don't like what your doing. Renting commercial premises would possibly be cost prohibitive for a small venture such as you envisage. How about one of the companies that hire out your motorhome for you and you receive a percentage? You would need to check it out very carefully before commencing though. Good luck whatever you decide. Bob

Archived