Thetford Forest Bermuda Triangle Hex strikes again!

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

190 miles and 6 hours after leaving home to start our month away we are parked up on our drive again *-)

Last week had the camper serviced and MOT'd and the front brakes overhauled, I did say do the lot but my garage chap thought he'd done the back set a while back, so assuming his memory was less fallible than mine he just did the front...........picked the van up and he reckoned after looking at the back brakes he hadn't done them so it must of been the works van he'd done...............Never mind say's I they haven't caused any problems so we'll sort them when I get back *-)

I didn't allow for Sod's law 8-)............The old sod lives in Thetford Forest where he waits for me :-(..........Driving through the Forest and start to brake for someone turning...............and my foot goes straight to the floor 8-) 8-).............fortunately the brakes still work but the brake warning light comes on, so I pull over and sure enough the back nearside tyre is covered with brake fluid :-S

So a hasty phone call and I'm booked into the garage for 7am..............Chunnel is booked for 20 past 2 :-S................That's 3 times on the trot I've left nice and early for the chunnel only to be thwarted by that bloke Sod's law *-)

As for the Thetford Bermuda triangle, in 2 years I've nearly had my back wheel's fall off, and 3 punctures all within 15 miles of the place and now this 8-)

If we get sorted tomorrow I'm going down the M11...............I ain't going nowhere near that ruddy forest >:-(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

You were luckier than us Dave - our rear brakes did the same to us in France last year!

My own silly fault really as when it was serviced I was advised to take the wheels and drums off and check the rear brake linings and hydraulics and I forgot - had I done so I would probably have found there was one leaky slave cylinder and t'other one was sticking causing more wear that enough on the linings and it would have cost a lot less to replace the lot at home!! Silly me!!

Never mind - the nice man in the Peugeot garage in Briare sorted it all for us - at a price - 620 Euros to be precise - gulp!!

For the benefit of the geographically challenged - Alford is somewhat more than 10 miles from the Thetford Forest!

Guest pelmetman

Didn't leave the garage til lunchtime as the motor factors hadn't delivered, as it was there was only one 1990 rear wheel brake cylinder in Lincolnshire *-)............they couldn't get another til the next day.....so working on the theory lightning won't strike twice.........we left for the chunnel :-S............

Made it....... we were 3 minutes over the 2 hour window they give you before being charged extra *-)................still I rocked up to the prepaid unmanned kiosk push the buttons and it said "Your too late" :'(..........but we can put you on the 1720 and they didn't charge me extra............a result B-)

Stopped on the aire at Equihen Plage first night as to shattered to go further...........Driving a SWB Coachbuilt at 65 to 70 mph is not a relaxing experience, nice aire though next to a sewage farm but overlooking the sea.........Next day our usual Forges Les Euax 6.42 Euro.......and fuel from the Le Clerc 1.46 euro, left this morning in the rain......

Now we are here............and have found the Golden Orb at Vendome 30 degrees under our Fiamma........parked up on the municipal, and what a lovely town Vendome is :-D...................decided to stay two nights 12 euros a night + free wifi ;-)........ admittedly there is some road noise from the N10........for info there is a free aire outside the gates.

Just having hot dogs and bubbles for tea B-)......................we is right posh :D

Guest pelmetman
Losos - 2012-05-05 4:52 PMHope the rest of trip is going well, is Troy with you?

He's certainly is.........and has just farted to prove it 8-) Now at Angouleme aire listed as St Yrieix number 26 page 342 which ha moved into a new campsite..........7.70 euro without electric but you have use of the brand new showers and the other facilities. ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Correction to the above 7.70 included the cost of a baggete................price of baggete unknown :D

Now just north of Hendaye Plage on a campsite as the French have hogged all the Aires 8-)..........Warm and sunny B-)

Curious observation 1

Only passed two broken down vehicles from Calais to here..........both Rover 75's :-S

Curious observation 2

Followed two French campers in convoy together..............both towing cars on an A frame.......I wonder if they're legal? ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Randonneur - 2012-05-06 5:56 PM

Dave, you should have tried the Aire at Ondres Plage, plenty of parking places.

Now you tell me after I've paid me 16 euro's 8-)

pelmetman - 2012-05-06 6:02 PM

Dave,

get back home quick, gyppos have pitched up in your garden and hooked up into your leccie supply.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-05-06 10:01 PM

Dave,

get back home quick, gyppos have pitched up in your garden and hooked up into your leccie supply.

Whilst your there Malcolm, would you cut the grass? :D

pelmetman - 2012-05-07 7:47 AM

Dave,

Cant cut the grass, they have put up a sign saying fresh turf for sale £3 a yard

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-05-07 9:05 AM

pelmetman - 2012-05-07 7:47 AM

Dave,

Cant cut the grass, they have put up a sign saying fresh turf for sale £3 a yard

The thieving b******ds 8-)

It's worth more than that ;-)

Guest pelmetman

Decided to stay another night here as site is within walking distance of a pretty harbour called Soca............had lunch in one o the waterfront resturants..........lovely and sunny and very warm B-)

Curious Observation 3

It's impossible to get p****d on wine that costs 19 euro a bottle.........I got more sober with every sip 8-)

Guest pelmetman

Well a week after leaving home we've arrived at our first site in Northen Spain 8-) ............

You do your home work read the reviews............and then you arrive eventually! because the directions are wrong.........To find tiny boggy pitches........indoor swimming pool closed.......there are 3 other campers all Brits.

And we seem to have parked on an ants nest at our last stop *-)

But hey the suns just come out I've a glass of chilled Rose in my hand our roast dinner in the oven B-)

Guest pelmetman

What a difference a day makes :D...................moved to a dry pitch with views of the mountains........Sun shone all day its hot and been for a walk down to the harbour......Ribadesella..... very nice ;-)

Decided to stay for a week........swimming pool opens tomorrow ;-)...........BBQ tonight B-)........and free wifi lets see if I can post a pic ;-)

P1000201web.jpg.3fc058683b4cbef3ee016c9741369b6b.jpg

pelmetman - 2012-05-09 4:22 PM

What a difference a day makes :D...................moved to a dry pitch with views of the mountains........Sun shone all day its hot and been for a walk down to the harbour......Ribadesella..... very nice ;-)

Decided to stay for a week........swimming pool opens tomorrow ;-)...........BBQ tonight B-)........and free wifi lets see if I can post a pic ;-)

You must have some money you Dave, all these jaunts you go on, whats the secret of your success, do tell.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-05-10 3:41 AM

You must have some money you Dave, all these jaunts you go on, whats the secret of your success, do tell.

Thrift Malcolm ;-)

As you know I've been semi retired for years.........but up until a couple of years ago I tended to work a few days every week, and we still just had a couple of weeks off at a time.

But following our 6 weeks away Christmas before last we realised just how much further we can get...........so now I try to squeeze all my work into a few weeks and then clear off in the camper B-)

Got another two weeks booked for July Ukelele festival, and then maybe another month in September?........and possibly eight weeks this next Christmas :D

Dave, we've now started to do the same.......last autumn, after a long, 4 weeks trip, which we loved, we sat down to look at our 2012 calendar.

We decided to block out several big chunks of time through this year, not take any gig bookings then, so that we have blocks or 3 weeks or 4 weeks at a time dotted through the year (except in July and August, as it's too damn hot and too damn crowded then!)

As you say, this method is brilliant for travelling further, and also spending a lot longer in an area to get to know it much better.

It also means we really do use the MH, instead of mostly just watching it depreciate on the driveway.

To compensate for the otherwise increased costs (we used to use ACSI sites) we now almost always wildcamp or use aires.... which we've found we mostly actually prefer.

Great fun!

Guest pelmetman

It is funny how its changed our motorhoming habits Bruce :D .............I feel like a born again motorhomer (lol)

We still prefer sites at the moment as Sue likes to set up camp............and out of season like now is great as we have the site virtually to ourseleves with a choice of swimming pools..........If I have one complaint..........Its Tooooo Darn Hot 28 in the shade already8-) ..........

Dave while you are over there keep an eye open for ivy leafed balcony Geraniums the bright red strain variety, take a couple of dozen cuttings, wrap them in damp tissue paper, put them in a plastic bag and store them in the shade, drop them off at our house on the way back home.

A cup of tea and a slice of cake will be waiting for you.

muchos grassyarse amigo.

Guest pelmetman

What a frigging nightmare 8-) 8-) 8-) ..............there's a moral to this tale of woe *-) ...........dont empty the cassette after drinking two bottles of vino tinto :$

I go for me evening consitutional.......I notice I'm in the red zone......so gets me trolly out as it seems heavy these days, and its a bit of a hike........

Start emptying the cassette............ and the dam thing slips 8-) ..........and within a second I'm stood there with turds sticking out of my Crocs :$...........I've heard the term a Croc of s**te! many a time, didn't think I'd be wearing them!! .........so in my panic I dash to the loo's and grab a load of bog roll.....but the stuff instantly disolves on contact with water *-) ............worrying that they'll someone along in a minute and to stop them thinking dirty English...........there's no option and start collecting up the turds with my hands........then I realise they're not all our turds 8-) 8-) .........

I need a drink *-)

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2012-05-11 4:16 PM

Dave while you are over there keep an eye open for ivy leafed balcony Geraniums the bright red strain variety, take a couple of dozen cuttings, wrap them in damp tissue paper, put them in a plastic bag and store them in the shade, drop them off at our house on the way back home.

A cup of tea and a slice of cake will be waiting for you.

muchos grassyarse amigo.

I'll get Sue to do it Malcolm, she's got green fingers..................I've got brown :-(

Archived