French police and customs searching UK campers

Guest JudgeMental

Guest Tracker
lennyhb - 2012-05-01 5:03 PM

Eddie, fly the wife out to travel back with you, then you can bring back another 10 Lt and still be £50 better off than UK prices. :D

Why not pick up a couple of illegal immigrants at Calais and treble your allowances and get paid for carrying them instead of paying for Mrs Mental's air fair out!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Retread24800 - 2012-05-01 4:33 PMProvided that French customs believe that purchases are not for commercial use then the quantities imported into France from an EU state (not Andorra, CI etc) are quoted here by the French Customs service, in French

As for stopping various dodgy looking UK motor-homes perhaps they believe the average UK pensioner spends too long in a Dutch Coffee shop.........

Personally I cannot see why anyone would take wine into France so who the hell cares what French customs may do.

rupert123 - 2012-05-03 5:12 PM
Retread24800 - 2012-05-01 4:33 PMProvided that French customs believe that purchases are not for commercial use then the quantities imported into France from an EU state (not Andorra, CI etc) are quoted here by the French Customs service, in French

As for stopping various dodgy looking UK motor-homes perhaps they believe the average UK pensioner spends too long in a Dutch Coffee shop.........

Personally I cannot see why anyone would take wine into France so who the hell cares what French customs may do.

Ah but the Judge was importing spirits into France:-) and if anybody offers me one of the better Rioja 's I'm unlikely to refuse  .

Guest JudgeMental

Correct only concerned with spirits getting wines/beer/champagne at Calais

I can assure you if I was not worried about weight, there are some very nice drinkable and cheap whites here and some excellent reds. Normally have a rose when eating out (every other night) and have not had a bad one of those either.....

Hi Regards French Customs.

I travell alone and so at Toll Booths have to get out to pay and the Customs wait at exit. My van is Manx Registered with a personal number. I am usually stopped about twice a trip and if the customs dont appear I feel neglected. I take the dogs out and let them look around the van. I have asked them if I look suspicious but they told Me they were looking for Drugs and Large Quantities of Money. However I have just returned from Spain without using the Toll Roads and have not been stopped!

Just have a sense of humour with them and they are O.K.

Regards

Hi,

Re EU or none EU purchase if you get stopped and searched and do not have a receipt for your wine/spirits/fags etc then you may find the police/customs will pinch you and your goods (for example buy your brandy and wine in Spain then go into France via Andora )

You have to provide the proof of purchase, so keep your receipts

Regards Ray

Tony Jones - 2012-05-02 12:17 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-05-01 7:25 PM

I'm bound to get pulled then:-S big bloke on my own with skin head haircut.....fit the smugglers profile pefectly I would think.

One chap I spoke to lost £1800 worth of ciggy's to C&E recently

Not got your wig on then Eddie?

Seriously, the LAW within the EU is clear - a citizen can moved his/her own goods around within the EU without paying duty, which only kicks in when any of it is sold on to others. So can be no absolute "limits," only ever "guidelines" about what may reasonably be viewed as "for personal use."

All the times we've been stopped have been either

(a) by French customs (within country, not at border) asking whether we've been to Luxembourg or Andorra etc, looking for excessive cigarettes

(b) by UK Border Cotrol, looking for illegals.

But in both cases, the real reason was clearly

© wanting a nosey in a smart-looking camper!

Last time, in France, we had one unlabelled bottle of powerful Calvados made on-site by one of our France Passion hosts. We held our breath, but M Douane didn't bat an eyelid.

1footinthegrave

I guess they are using profiling now, we fit the profile if it's couples in their sixties up to dodgy stuff.

Oh dear, that's me in the frame now then! :-D

Tony - nearly right I think, but not quite. If you haven't paid duty you'll get a financial kicking off the police/customs chappie that checks your stash.

I think reciprocal inter-country laws within the EU say that you are free to move goods around between such countries PROVIDING THAT the relevant taxes/duty was paid in the original EU country of purchase......hence the "keep receipts" practice, to show that duty WAS indeed paid on the original within-the-EU retail purchase.

JudgeMental - 2012-05-01 8:25 PM ................................One chap I spoke to lost £1800 worth of ciggy's to C&E recently

You've got some dodgy mates!

Most EU countries believe that 5 Cartons (10 packets per carton) are enough for 'personal ' use, French Douanes allow an extra 5 cartons ie 10 cartons, provided that you declare them either at the first customs post after entering France or immediately upon being pulled over for a check.

£1800 or €2160 equates with 360 packets or 36 cartons @€6.00 per pack, I would not have believed this amount was for personal use.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental
No problems whatsoever...at Dover a huddle of about 10 C&E officers who where obviously waiting for something or someone just waved me through..The 2 china men where very grateful for the lift.....

Guest JudgeMental

I mean these two little chaps came up to me at Auchen petrol station and asked for a lift to UK...As I was travelling alone I thought it my Christian duty to offer them hospitality.

when we crossed they asked to be dropped at service station to meet their friend. the friend was there waiting and handed me a BIG bag of Chinese takeaway(ribs, Peking duck the works!) and at this point the two to them became overwhelmed with happiness, crying, wailing, kissing my ring and buckled shoes...., and stuffing £20/£50 notes into my pocket!.......It was very emotional! :D

Airstream - 2012-05-01 3:57 PMHiFrench import infoWhen entering France, there is a limit on items tourists can bring into the country without paying a duty. With a country like France, it's also important for many travelers to know how much wine they can bring back home, for instance. Here are some tips on customs regulations in France.Visitors can enter with items worth up to 175 euros (or 90 euros if you are under 15), plus the following, without having to pay a duty: Tobacco of either 200 cigarettes, 100 cigarillos, 50 cigars or 250 grams of smoking tobacco. If you have a combination, you must split the allowance up. For instance, you can bring 100 cigarettes and 25 cigars. Depending on the price where you live, you might consider bringing cigarettes with you. French cigarette prices are set by the government, and are quite high. Alcohol of up to two liters of still wine plus one of the following: one liter of spirits with more than 22 alcohol volume or two liters or fortified wine of 22 alcohol volume or less. Up to 50 grams of perfume and a quarter liter of eau de toilette. Up to 500 grams of coffee and up to 100 grams of tea. ????Ray

This is a 'duty free' allowance  i.e. for NON EU purchases.

I worked in aviation traveling the world for over 30 years and had to have an up to date working knowledge of the rules.

There is actually 'no' limit on the amounts you can buy/transfer 'within' the EU.  However because in the early days of the EU opening up in this way there was massive abuse of the withdrawing of restrictions the EU and member states instigated a set of 'guidelines'.  Those guidelines put a 'soft' limit on the cross border movement of otherwise dutiable goods.  If you exceed those 'soft' limits and can prove that what could be considered a 'commercial' quantity is for personal consumption (not for sale) then you are not breaking the rules.  For example if coming from France to the UK with 20 cases of wine/champagne for your daughters wedding and have proof of the impending nuptials you 'should' be allowed to proceed.  I say should because each and every customs official has their own take on these things and he/she might be having a bad day in which case you should prepare yourself for a 'polite' battle.

Extract from Heathrow 'limits' guide which is applicable to 'all' points of entry:

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from the EU, a Customs Officer is more likely to ask about the purposes for which you hold the goods if you bring large quantities of them. This will most likely be the case if you appear at the airport with more than:

• 800 cigarettes, or 400 cigarillos, or 200 cigars, or 1 kg of smoking tobacco
  • 110 litres of beer
  • 10 litres of spirits
  • 90 litres of wine
  • 20 litres of fortified wine e.g. port or sherry

JudgeMental - 2012-05-25 12:53 PM

I mean these two little chaps came up to me at Auchen petrol station and asked for a lift to UK...As I was travelling alone I thought it my Christian duty to offer them hospitality.

when we crossed they asked to be dropped at service station to meet their friend. the friend was there waiting and handed me a BIG bag of Chinese takeaway(ribs, Peking duck the works!) and at this point the two to them became overwhelmed with happiness, crying, wailing, kissing my ring and buckled shoes...., and stuffing £20/£50 notes into my pocket!.......It was very emotional! :D

Ha, brilliant :-D

lennyhb - 2012-05-01 1:43 PM

Each country can set it's own guidelines for what it considers personal use but they must not be below the following:-

800 cigarettes

400 cigarillos

200 cigars

1 kg of tobacco

10 litres of spirits

20 litres of fortified wine (such as port or sherry)

90 litres of wine (of which, a maximum of 60 litres of sparkling wine)

110 litres of beer

Surely that's not right .... I didn't realise it was COMPULSORY to bring all this stuff back ... 8-)

We have had a search by the customs lads - it happened quite a few years ago when we had our Rapido 709F - the chap insisted on looking everywhere, even under the fixed bed and the wardrobe ... he'd have been lucky have found a mouse able to fit in it!!! :D

Guest pelmetman

We got stopped for the first time ever coming back this January 8-) ........

Pulled up to the customs booth.....chap says hello have you had the van long?........20 years says I........Oh yes say's he........would you mind puling over there...... 8-) ......

For the first time in decades Horace had a strange woman look in his draws 8-) 8-)

Sadly like the Mrs she was disappointed with what she found :-S

There are NO limits on the amount of tobacco products or booze that you can bring back into the Uk from any other EU country, provided that:-

1 you have paid the appropriate duty in that other EU country ( keep your receipts).

2. They are for personal consumption and/or gifts, and not for resale.

You will now see " guideline" amounts quoted at ports etc. These guideline amounts mean absolutely nothing in law, as they are unenforceable. Feel entirely free to ignore them, as HMRC cannot enforce them.

In the bad old days when (idiot that I was) I used to smoke, and have to work too; I worked for some years for an international Aerospace group, with it's global HQ in Paris. I had to go over there from the UK at least every month.

Sometimes I'd fly over from Birmingham, but more often I'd drive over, sometimes with colleagues sharing my car.

I've been stopped oodles of times in the UK on the way back, with thousands of cigarettes in the boot. All the same Silk Cut brand that I used to smoke. Often 6,000 ciggies in one trip.

Every time when challenged I simply kept politely repeating that they were mine, with duty paid on them in France, for my own consumption ( which was in fact true), and that it was NOT for me to prove that they were for my own consumption, but for HM Customs and Excise (as they were then titled) to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they were not).

Also worth reminding any HMRC officer, if push comes to shove, of the UK court legal test case brought against them by two Brits that did have booze, fags and their vehicles seized simply because they were carrying more than HMRC had self-decided was the maximum for private use. The case was maybe 10 years ago now.

HMRC lost that key case, the Judge siding with the Applicants on the basis that it was NOT for HMRC to make law; and the law says ANY amount may be brought back so long as duty has been paid in the EU country of purchase, and it is for personal consumption.

Under UK law, the goods that the traveller is carrying are to be deemed for personal consumption UNLESS HMRC can prove beyond reasonable doubt that they are not.

You are free to smoke and drink yourself to death on cheapo mainland-Europe-bought drugs.........

Been stopped several times with me and the wife and two teenagers travelling. Strangest time was leaving Dover and searched which made us miss the ferry and had to go on the next sailing.

We were asked if we were carrying any knives. Er.........yes lots!!!!!!!!

Guest Tracker

It takes a brave or foolish person to argue with the customs.

They have a lot of power and, if they so choose, can make your stay with them very long, very tedious and even possibly quite uncomfortable!

On the odd occasion that we have been stopped and in one case the van searched a smile, a willingness to cooperate and politeness at all times helped get us on our way and once even with an apology!

But then again we don't push the boundaries of greed and self indulgence!

Hi All,

Reading between the lines in recent News reports I believe these stops and searches will grow as the economic environment in mainland europe worsens it is expected that a greater number of transients will head to our shores, legal and illegal. So, I believe we will have to put up with more strict and regular checks. Drugs and people must be the priority surely unless someone is bringing an obvious large amount of spirits and tobacco for resale.

cheers

derek

Tracker - 2012-05-26 7:46 AMIt takes a brave or foolish person to argue with the customs. They have a lot of power and, if they so choose, can make your stay with them very long, very tedious and even possibly quite uncomfortable!On the odd occasion that we have been stopped and in one case the van searched a smile, a willingness to cooperate and politeness at all times helped get us on our way and once even with an apology!But then again we don't push the boundaries of greed and self indulgence!

Politeness with whoever you are dealing costs nothing although sometimes an 'official' will push your buttons' if they are on a power trip.

As for the 'greed and self indulgence' bit......I call it economics.  If buying on mainland Europe in bulk saves the ££'s then I'm all for it.

Been stopped a few times coming back to Calais, on one occasion as the lady Duane official opened the side door she was greeted by the cat, and that was the end of the search, as for the next 5 mins she did nothing but stroke it. :-D

Ian

Tracker - 2012-05-26 7:46 AM

It takes a brave or foolish person to argue with the customs.

They have a lot of power and, if they so choose, can make your stay with them very long, very tedious and even possibly quite uncomfortable!

On the odd occasion that we have been stopped and in one case the van searched a smile, a willingness to cooperate and politeness at all times helped get us on our way and once even with an apology!

But then again we don't push the boundaries of greed and self indulgence!

How can buying items that you use in another fellow EU country with duty paid ever be classed as being greedy and self indulgent? If I fly to Greece I bring a whole suitecase full of cigarettes back with me as I do smoke but they are half the price of the same ones back home. How is this greedy or self indulgant? Its just simple economic sense. If you wanted to buy a new TV and it was £1000 in the UK or £500 in Greece, Delivered where would you purchase?

We signed up for the EU why the F should we feel like we are being naughty in bringing our duty paid goods back home?

What gets me is it seems some countries just make up their own rules. I heard when I was in northern Spain a couple of years ago in the van that I should be careful how many fags I bring back into France as they wont let you bring in more than a few cartons. Well stuff them. They cant make up the rules as they go along but when we crossed back into Spain sure enough the Gendarmes were stopping vans and cars checking what they had bought. Surely this is wrong. I have no intention of supplying my goods for resale but if I want to buy six months supply of cigs or even a years and thus saving perhaps nearly £1000 why shouldnt I?

Very rare for French Police to bother searching vehicles but commonplace at the Ports (where we have Immigration and Border Police) who poke their nose in just about every nook and cranny possible. Some are downright rude too. I had one Officer banging in fury on the side of my van just because the side door was locked. I gave him a bloody good telling off over that.

As for bringing in alcohol........bring as much as you like. HMRC don't give a flying fig if you have one bottle or fifty boxes of the stuff. It's tobacco they enjoy targeting. But it is at our Ports where the 'fun' begins.

As for 'personal allowances' , there is no such thing. Unfortunately it is often taken out of context due to the wording within HMRC Notice 1 which is intentionally designed to confuse and scaremonger.

When arriving into the UK from an EU country you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods.

For excise goods such as alcohol and tobacco, there are no restrictions.

which then goes on to say;

Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than the following:

and then lists 800 Cigarettes, 1 kg of tobacco, 110 litres of beer etc.....

These are what they term 'recommended limits'......so it is every likely that most people get confused or frightened off. That's just what HMRC want!

If stopped by HMRC it is up to the individual to convince them that it is for your use and yours only. In other words, the only time under UK 'law' where you are Guilty......until you prove your innocence.

Totally wrong but UK Government give virtual autonomous powers to let HMRC do what the heck they like. And they relish and enjoy these powers.

Some of the Goons are out and out b*stards looking to score points, whilst the odd one or two are thoroughly decent. It's a lottery at the Ports and luck of the draw i'm sorry to say and from my experience i've only ever had one really decent chap who, once he saw what little tobacco I had became angry at the pathetic time wasting and apologised for his colleagues pettiness.

Retread24800 - 2012-05-05 2:25 PM

Most EU countries believe that 5 Cartons (10 packets per carton) are enough for 'personal ' use, French Douanes allow 5 cartons ie 10 cartons, provided that you declare them either at the first customs post after entering France or immediately upon being pulled over for a check. £1800 or €2160 equates with 360 packets or 36 cartons @€6.00 per pack,

I would not have believed this amount was for personal use.

First of all none of your figures make any sense to me at all. It would help if you clearly defined between cigarettes (sold by sleeve.....not carton) and pack (rolling tobacco).

My question to you though is just what makes you think any of the amounts are not for personal use? Some people smoke more than others. If rolling tobacco there are those who roll thicker than normal. There is no benchmark to go by.

Anyone going to Belgium on a 'baccy trip' or booze cruise isn't going to waste it by bringing back a few sleeves of cigs or pouches of tobacco which will last them no longer than a month.

Guest Tracker

As an avid non smoker and a very rare drinker who dislikes most wines and barely tolerates beer I would ban all personal imports of booze and tobacco products and let those who simply must indulge in these dreadful habits do so to the full benefit of the UK treasury.

Consider that when smoking and drinking make you ill you will be first to expect the UK NHS to sort out your own self induced health problems is it not more fair that you should have contributed towards that cost rather than allow everyone else to subsidise you.

Bloody selfish I call it - so yes it is a form of greed, self indulgence and selfishness to avoid paying UK duty to extreme levels just because it is legal.

That ought to get some interesting responses!

Archived