East or West ??

kelly58

We are over to France on Sunday and cannot decide which way to go      " decisions decisions "  its either head south west to the south of Bordeau along the Atlantic coast towards Biarritz or head south east via Lyon / Grenoble towards St Tropez and the south coast towards Monaco. Obviously the weather will play a big part in which way to go . I thought this motorhoming lark was easy and stress free, O well come Sunday we may have decided !!!!

Hi Kelly

We always consider it as "that WE have the choice"

Unlike the package holiday crowds who having made their selection & then are stuck with it come hell or high water.

If forecast or other conditions are unfavourable, just up sticks & move on.

Weather in France is generally very unsettled at present. I would keep a sharp eye on Meteo France (they seem to give the most accurate forecasts), and decide as late as possible.

Generally, the east has been better than the west, providing you avoid high ground. There have been some strong gales and thunderstorms extending from the Auvergne right across the Rhone to the Swiss/Italian borders. The Cote d'Azur has generally been better, but not as good as Provence south of Orange.

Possibly down the Rhone corridor via Reims, Troyes, and Beaune? I think I'd avoid the Millau viaduct unless the forecast is for light winds, as the high ground from around Montlucon south can make driving slab sided vehicles like motorhomes a bit wearing when it's gusty!

Brian,

Many thanks for Mateo France, I have saved it in favourites. We can now keep an eye on the French weather and also make a last minute decision on which route to follow We are hoping to return, 12 May, from Barcelona area to UK via Biarritz, Leon, Bordeaux, Potiers or if the weather is not good then Auch, Agen Limoges, Orlean etc.

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey not looking good is it....I think my planned meander back through France will be a delayed, and replaced with a quick dash! *-)

Home probably just as uninviting :-S

Guest pelmetman

Currently sat in the car park of Auchan at Poitiers..........weather overcast but warm.......been through a few showers today some heavy.........hope to make Biarritz area tomorrow will decide then whether to turn left or right :-S

Ps just filled up 1.36euro :D

Looking at the weather it looks like we will head south east to Cavalaire-sur-Mer there are two ASCI campsites that look favourable (1) de la Baie and Bonporteau .Stopping at aires en route Arques / Donjeux / St-Disirat / Cuges-les-pins . Lets hope the weather will be kind to us .

-----

Guest JudgeMental
Oh! we love it around Cavalaire-sur-Mer.....Great restaurant on beach as you drive West along coast :-D

That stretch South of Bordeaux along the Atlantic coast is mainly long sandy beaches and pine trees. Depends what you want, good for water sports and cycling/walking in the pine forests, if that is your thing. My choice would be to go East, so much more to see and do. Have a great time.

Archived