Ghost Radio!

Franco

Hi Folks, wondering if anybody can advise on this;-

The radio has a mind of it's own, and just comes on at all type of irregular times, sometimes repeatedly, every few minutes, or every few days, or it can stay off for weeks on end and then 'activate' itself. It can be turned off, but it just seems to, maybe, come on again. It will stay on until I intervene. I now take the fuse out and re-insert it if I want to listen to the radio- I need to insert the radio code, which luckily I have handy. Also, luckily, there appear to be no other units relying on that fuse.

I have a Compass Castaway, year 2004, Peugeot Base. The radio has no brand that I can see, but the code details says 'Fiat Ducato, Blaupunkt'. I have read the manual, but nothing seems to help. I know I can mute the radio by pressing the 'on/off' button, and I should be able to switch it off by holding the same button down for over 2 seconds, and it does go off, but then randomly comes to life again.

All advise welcome.

Franco

Franco..

Have you looked to see if the Blaupunkt website for a "FAQs" or Contact page? it *may* be worth asking them..?

(..or maybe try asking on a more ICE specific website?)

To be fair ,as Wildbill says,it's probably easier just to fork out for a new unit(,they don't appear to be that expensive anymore).

Don't choose one like our's though!..it's a Kenwood of some sorts,it was in the vehicle when we bought it..but it has the most stupid,fiddliest knobs and controls!!.

..it's nigh on impossible to turn the volume up/down without inadvertantly altering things like balance etc or switching "modes" !? *-)

Fortunately,it does have a socket for an mp3 player,so we bought a cheapie one from Argos and now just tend to control if from that...

Thanks WillBill and Pepe63.

I am heading off this am for a fews days, and will pursue options on return. If necessary I will buy a new one- radio, not camper!

Info appreciated.

regards

Franco.

We had a similar problem. Turned out when people entered and left the van by the passenger door, some of them would brush the radio in passing and switch it on. At first everybody denied they did this so it remained a mystery and we referred to the van's ghost.

An Auto Electrician said radios with small buttons tend to have a life of their own. No idea if he is was having me on.

We remove the radio's facia plate when not using the radio and when not using the van, switch off the electricity [radio seems to run off the leisure battery].

Thanks, Brock, but this glitch is not due to inadvertent knocking against the radio. I was away the weekend and it came on at least 6 times in an hour on the outward journey. Today tidying up after the weekend, and the radio decided to serenade me out of the blue- I was at the other end of the camper.

Time to get rid of it. Anyway I can listen to SHMBO- no attempt to switch off!

Thanks to all for your help.

Franco

Archived