MMM June - Autocruise vs Timberland 'battle'

blackfingers

Having a passing interest in panel van conversions by the 'professionals', it was interesting to see the Timberland Destiny XI had a bed which measured 5ft 11.5in long max.

According to DVLA requirements, we poor 'private-builders' have to install a bed which is 6ft long minimum in order to obtain 'motor caravan' class on our V5. Is this one law for one, one law for t'other?

Also, good to see enlightened Autocruise using a 80 litre compressor fridge, but with just one 100amp hr leisure battery listed in the spec. and no solar panel? Presumably, their customers don't spend more than one day without a hook-up?

IanL

oh, nearly forgot: www.deepredmotorhome.com

Guest JudgeMental

well if this is a bit of self promotion your thread will last about an hour before getting pulled by mods

but I do agree when you look at spec of some of our so called bespoke manufacturers, 25 inch wide single beds? tiny tanks? tiny fridge and stupid prices...who do they think they are kidding..

blackfingers - 2012-05-04 8:23 AM

According to DVLA requirements, we poor 'private-builders' have to install a bed which is 6ft long minimum in order to obtain 'motor caravan' class on our V5. Is this one law for one, one law for t'other?

I think the requirement is for a ' 6ft bed' not for a '6ft long bed'. Measure tha five foot eleven and a half bed corner to corner and 'voila'! :-D

I was looking at a Timberland once and the salesman proudly showed me the 'wardrobe'. It was about big enough to hold a pair of underpants!

My PVC has a full length wardrobe that I can stand in with the door shut. ( I only ever do this on Thursdays though ).. :-S

Many motorhomes whether coach built or panel vans are 'Style over Function'

Harvey

Guest JudgeMental
blackfingers - 2012-05-04 9:06 AM

Oh dear, no self promotion intended, Judge. Can't edit it out now, past 30 minutes.

Ian L.

in that case you should be fine..nothing wrong in a member recommending a company they are happy with!..at least I hope not :-D

JudgeMental - 2012-05-04 9:34 AM

Oh dear, no self promotion intended, Judge. Can't edit it out now, past 30 minutes.

Ian L.

in that case you should be fine..nothing wrong in a member recommending a company they are happy with!..at least I hope not :-D

I despair...

If you had taken a moment and actually bothered to look at the website referred to before yabbing on about "self promotion", it would have been obvious that this is a personal (and well-known) website relating to a self-built PVC, not some sort of 'company'.

Here's a link - all you have to do is click on it:

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/

I've seen the build via several other sources and as far as I'm aware there's no commercial interest, it's just a self-build.

I'm pretty sure the bed length thing is just DVLA and their plucked-from-the-air and ever-changing policy regarding what might constitute a motorcaravan body type. I don't think it's enshrined in legislation.

Ian will know more than most that any conversion is a balance of compromises, more so within the physical constraints of a PVC. It's impossible to build anything that will suit all people's use all of the time. Small battery and compressor fridge does seem on the face of it an odd combination but it would probably be sufficient for those that do indeed use their van as a van, and not a caravan.

Loads of people fall into the trap of unnecessary solar panels or massive Ah capacity - which is then either never properly charged or simply a waste given that 99% of the time they wouldn't dream of camping without a hook-up.

[Edit] Derek hit submit before me re self build.

Guest JudgeMental

if THAT makes you despair, I suggest you adjust your sensibilities and get a life......I am on a campsite and experiencing wifi problems, so could not open address *-)

BECAUSE i could not open link i said "IF" this is a bit of self promotion. Ian understood plain English and took no offense

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-04 9:49 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-05-04 9:34 AM

Ian L.

I despair...

If you had taken a moment and actually bothered to look at the website referred to before yabbing on about "self promotion", it would have been obvious that this is a personal (and well-known) website relating to a self-built PVC, not some sort of 'company'.

Here's a link - all you have to do is click on it:

http://www.deepredmotorhome.com/

.....but you couldn't find a better example of self-promotion, Derek. ;-)

(All in the best possible taste, of course, and not at all commercial).

JudgeMental - 2012-05-04 9:55 AM

if THAT makes you despair, I suggest you adjust your sensibilities and get a life......I am on a campsite and experiencing wifi problems, so could not open address *-)

BECAUSE i could not open link i said "IF" this is a bit of self promotion. Ian understood plain English and took no offense

No link was provided - just a website address.

Surely you know the difference and that clicking on a website address won't work?

To quote Harvey: I think the requirement is for a ' 6ft bed' not for a '6ft long bed'. Measure tha five foot eleven and a half bed corner to corner and 'voila'!

Using the measurements given in the report, double bed measures; 1.81 by 1.77m.

So, using Pythagoras, squares on the hypot etc.. Lenght of bed (diagonally) is therefore: 8.3 feet long

Thank you, Harvey, I really must start thinking diagonally! (lol)

Ian L.

Hi Ian

Congratulations on your website, "Proper Job" informative & logically constructed, as opposed to many which only give brief details.

Regarding the "commercially built" Vans, they will always be subject to compromises, to attract as large a public as possible, within a market price bracket.

i.e One size fits all as near as possible, although Timberland do modify layout to suit individual customers.

With a Self Build, you are able to concentrate on what is important to YOU, for your available budget & generally with future saleability very much in the background.

Archived