Corrosion in rear light assembly.

JasmineAnders

Autocruise Starspirit. I had the usual sign of a lamp not working in the indicator circuit- the flasher unit going like mad when I signalled to turn left. A check showed that it was the rear lamp that was out so I removed the nearside rear light assembly cover. A very small drop of water came out but there was considerable corrosion on the bulbs and the contacts to them. I cleaned this off the best that I could and found that the "failed" bulb was in fact OK. Purely corrosion causing the problem I noticed that the light assembly cover does not, as on previous vans, have any seal between it and the body work. Can anyone advise on the best way to ensure permanent good contact to the bulbs. For instance is it OK to use WD40 as I understand that this is not always suitable for use on some plastics? Whilst I was at it I removed the offside cover but these contacts were clean.

WD40 will help clean of dirt/corrosion form the bulb contact but will not give you long term protection. It is such a light oil and it evaporates completly leaving a very clean surface with no protection after a short period. Just a little grease or vaseline on the contacts. very thin smear is all that is needed. On connectors form wiring incidently just pack the contacts full. Re the lense sealing - just a very thin layer of silicon sealant will help - not too much, just a smear again with all excess removed leaving just enough to bed the mating surfaces. When this sets with cover replaced it can easily be cleaned off in future and redone. As mentioned, a litte hole at lowest point to let any condensation/water out. WD40 - great as a cleaning fluid and a stop gap and general freeing rusted bolts, but as a long term lubricant - forget it. Also check the rubber boots on harness connector - water spray could be entering the boot and the getting into the light fitting that way. Quite often just a tie wrap around the sleeve of the boot to tighten it onto the harness will work to seal it, or try repositioning to point the boot sleeve down the way if it is pointing up. Hope these suggestion help - all food for thought hopefully.

Hi John I have had the same problem on 2004 Autocruise Valentine. The problem originally occurred with nearside rear indicator, and like you, I found the bulb to be OK, but the terminal to be loose. However, I have had a recurring problem blowing the 5amp fuse which protects the nearside rear tail and marker lights, front offside sidelights, and front nearside top marker. After replacing many fuses and checking all lamp units, I realised that it mainly happened in, or after rain, finallyresulting in a blown n/s rear tail-light bulb. On removing the rear lamp assembly, I found the terminal on the tail-light bulb to be badly corroded. This was cleaned, covered with light grease and the bulb replaced, which appears to have solved the problem. It is strange that there is no sealing gasket with these lamp units, which are fitted to many motorhaomes ans caravans, if you take notice. A friend has the same lamps fitted to a Bailey caravan, and has also had problems with corrosion, so it would appear to be a design fault with the units. Regards Ken #

Hi John I have had the same problem on 2004 Autocruise Valentine. The problem originally occurred with nearside rear indicator, and like you, I found the bulb to be OK, but the terminal to be loose. However, I have had a recurring problem blowing the 5amp fuse which protects the nearside rear tail and marker lights, front offside sidelights, and front nearside top marker. After replacing many fuses and checking all lamp units, I realised that it mainly happened in, or after rain, finallyresulting in a blown n/s rear tail-light bulb. On removing the rear lamp assembly, I found the terminal on the tail-light bulb to be badly corroded. This was cleaned, covered with light grease and the bulb replaced, which appears to have solved the problem. It is strange that there is no sealing gasket with these lamp units, which are fitted to many motorhaomes ans caravans, if you take notice. A friend has the same lamps fitted to a Bailey caravan, and has also had problems with corrosion, so it would appear to be a design fault with the units. Regards Ken #

Archived