Barbecue tent death

nightrider

knight of the road - 2012-05-07 10:12 AMAnother barbecue tent death, when are people going to get it into their thick skulls that fumes from a barbie kill in confined spaces?

It's because people have thick skulls that we have to have a moderately 'nanny state'. These disposable barbecues should have big warnings on the front reminding people that using them in a confined space is very dangerous.

However, that would be 'health and safety gone mad' which offends some members of this forum. Never mind though, if only a few children and families dies every year perhaps it's better not to insult the intelligence of the brighter ones who know that such practices are dangerous?

I think this is one example where warning signs would work.

Having been too close to for comfort to the child that died in the New Forest a few weeks back, I see no problem with warning signs on the BBQ packs.

I do not think it is a question of intelligence at all. It is a question of experience.

In most of these cases it is young families who probably bought an inexpensive tent and looked forward to an equally inexpensive holiday. Then Surprised by how cold it can be in the UK at night in a tent they, leave the still smouldering bbq in the tent.

I do wonder as well if some of these inexpensive tents coming in from China should be checked for proper ventilation. Cannot help but think of all the tents we had in the past with their gauze areas for good ventilation. Could it be that cheap tents have little or no ventilation when sealed up against the cold?

The Outward Bound course I went on at Ullswater used arctic tents and we cooked inside on primus stoves - the Instructors warned us about not using the stoves as heaters for this very reason. And the tents we used in the Scouts were hardly airtight - but still we were never allowed to cook inside the tents!

As for the "Nanny State" - I think this is exemplfied by rulings such as children wearing safety glasses when playing conkers and not being allowed to run during and egg and spoon race.

When you have as many deaths as we have had of late from the same cause whilst taking part in an activity we all on here take part in to a greater or lesser degree, I fail to see how anyone on here, or anywhere for that matter, would try to insinuate that warning signs would be a bad thing.

In fact I very much doubt anyone has even contemplated such an action.

Hence I find once again that a post suggesting as such remarkably stupid, but sadly entirely in keeping with the individual concerned's desire for attention.

francisgraham - 2012-05-07 10:59 AM
knight of the road - 2012-05-07 10:12 AMAnother barbecue tent death, when are people going to get it into their thick skulls that fumes from a barbie kill in confined spaces?

It's because people have thick skulls that we have to have a moderately 'nanny state'. These disposable barbecues should have big warnings on the front reminding people that using them in a confined space is very dangerous.

However, that would be 'health and safety gone mad' which offends some members of this forum. Never mind though, if only a few children and families dies every year perhaps it's better not to insult the intelligence of the brighter ones who know that such practices are dangerous?

When has anybody on here claimed warning signs of any kind on anything would be health and safety gone mad ? .i would suggest one warning sign that may be of some use to forum users under your name . ATTENTION GRABBER .

It's been several years since I've used a disposable bar-b-q, that one I (for some reason) remember as having a warning not to use in an enclosed space.

BTW the H&S of kids wearing safety googles for conkers was just a teacher bulls**tting, if such idiots didn't play silly buggers prentending H&S was ott then people might just take notice of warnings, mind you some are such thick idiots they proboly wouldn't.

Colin - you may be correct about the safety glasses and Conkers - but from what i uderstand it was a teachers interpretation of the Schools H&S policy document! 8-)

As for the not running during an egg and spoon race - this was absloutely true because it happned where we lived at the time! :-S

antony1969 - 2012-05-07 5:10 PM

When has anybody on here claimed warning signs of any kind on anything would be health and safety gone mad ? .i would suggest one warning sign that may be of some use to forum users under your name . ATTENTION GRABBER .

Attention grabber? What a pathetic cheap shot. I think that on this entire front page of Chatterbox I've entered about six threads and only ever post in those in which I have an interest. Hardly the behaviour of an 'attention grabber'?

You also have very short memories. There have been many instances of people denigrating health and safety initiatives, claiming that they reduce people's personal responsibilities and only exist to enrich 'greedy lawyers'!

Here's just one example and I refer you to the 12th and 14th posts by RogerC and Flicka. And they're just the beginning of several posts in the same vein!

Guess what one of the posts is about? Yes, it's putting warning labels on innocuous objects that some might consider pose a danger.

Well I never!

So in answer to your question about whether anyone has ever questioned the use of warning labels on products - yes they have!

Wrong again chaps! But perhaps you're just seeking attention eh?

knight of the road - 2012-05-07 5:42 PMOi you lot, this is another thread that I have started that appears to be degenerating into name calling, stop it forthwith or I might get angry and you wont like it if I do.

I agree but unfortunately CliveH and Anthony1969 just can't resist. I never attacked any individuals and was generalising, but they have chosen to have a direct go at me, again! CliveH in particular will have a pop at me in threads that I'm not even taking part in.

They just can't forgive me for making them look very silly so many times, as in this thread where they claim that no one has ever objected to warning labels and I've proved them wrong again! Good fun this eh?

CliveH - 2012-05-07 4:53 PM  I fail to see how anyone on here, or anywhere for that matter, would try to insinuate that warning signs would be a bad thing.In fact I very much doubt anyone has even contemplated such an action.Hence I find once again that a post suggesting as such remarkably stupid, but sadly entirely in keeping with the individual concerned's desire for attention.

Oh dear, wrong again Clive. See my post above!

CliveH - 2012-05-07 5:54 PMYou would be funny FG if you were not so sad

Just the response I would expect from a man who, once more, has been found to be completely wrong and will do anything but admit it. Now that really is sad!

Just for once, admit that you're wrong. I've posted the proof for everyone to see. Now be a man!

You are Sad - with a capital S FrancisYou said - "However, that would be 'health and safety gone mad' which offends some members of this forum. Never mind though, if only a few children and families dies every year perhaps it's better not to insult the intelligence of the brighter ones who know that such practices are dangerous?Or does your obvious "problem" include selective vision as well as memory?Sits back with tea and popcorn to enjoy a childish attention seeking rant. (lol)

antony1969 - 2012-05-07 6:16 PM

Fran , I asked a simple question and you have been good enough to look through your files on old posts titled " health and safety " and come up with the answer . Thankyou x

(lol) (lol) (lol)

donna miller - 2012-05-07 5:37 PM

So nice to see that everyone has so much sympathy and sorrow for the family and loved ones.

You are right Donna - having just seen a further report on the news - the whole thing is tragic.

Our thoughts should be with the victim and the family.

antony1969 - 2012-05-07 6:16 PMFran , I asked a simple question and you have been good enough to look through your files on old posts titled " health and safety " and come up with the answer . Thankyou x

Ah, nice bit of wriggling but we all know that it wasn't a simple question but was in fact suggesting that the question had never been asked. If you were simply asking a question to which you didn't know the answer, why did you feel the need to accuse me of 'attention grabbing' because I posed the question?

I hope that isn't too complicated for you? It will be for CliveH.

francisgraham - 2012-05-07 6:28 PM
antony1969 - 2012-05-07 6:16 PMFran , I asked a simple question and you have been good enough to look through your files on old posts titled " health and safety " and come up with the answer . Thankyou x

Ah, nice bit of wriggling but we all know that it wasn't a simple question but was in fact suggesting that the question had never been asked. If you were simply asking a question to which you didn't know the answer, why did you feel the need to accuse me of 'attention grabbing' because I posed the question?

I hope that isn't too complicated for you? It will be for CliveH.
(lol) (lol) (lol) Now THAT is funny!

CliveH - 2012-05-07 6:26 PM
donna miller - 2012-05-07 5:37 PMSo nice to see that everyone has so much sympathy and sorrow for the family and loved ones.
You are right Donna - having just seen a further report on the news - the whole thing is tragic.Our thoughts should be with the victim and the family.

What a bloody hypocrite you are. If it was so sensitive and you're worried about the families why did you feel the need to insult me when you know what the inevitable result would be?

Just to recap - I remembered the 'Bungee Cord' thread and I remembered the hysterical reaction of some to what they consider 'health and safety gone mad'. I made it clear that I would support labelling on barbecues but that it would probably offend some members of this forum who would indeed consider it as health and safety gone mad.

You replied by saying: I fail to see how anyone on here, or anywhere for that matter, would try to insinuate that warning signs are a bad thing and you went one to say that you doubted that anyone had actually done such a thing.

I proved you completely wrong (again) and up pops the usual CliveH who will do anything rather than admit that he was wrong.

At least Anthony1969 has the the manners to at least accept that what I said was in fact true!

What a sad and pathetic example of a man you are. Have you ever once admitted that you made a mistake?

Oh yes, when I pointed out how totally wrong you were about the frequency and timing of pension payments. But you really had no choice then as the evidence was overwhelming!

Even then though when both Robinhood and I had pointed out the facts you had to post a lengthy cut and paste saying exactly the same thing in order to prove that you really are a clever financial adviser. Not clever enough though to know that two years ago the rules changed though!

Just read this thread and look at CliveH's last post. If ever there was a man who'd been proven wrong and was trying to salvage a little credibility! What he considers as his 'expert' position on this forum is clearly very important to him! Sad, sad little financial adviser!

Now bugger off and stop causing trouble! Again.

Well done, you're learning to lie just as well as CliveH. You didn't ask a simple question. It was quite clearly rhetorical (look it up) and you added to this it:

I would suggest a warning sign that may be of some use to forum members under your name, ATTENTION GRABBER.

Why did you add that if you were asking a simple question? You quite clearly thought that my statement was wrong and that I was posting it to grab attention.

I expect this kind of reprehensible dishonesty from CliveH as I've had it in the past, but you disappoint me. And I didn't look it up in advance as I quite clearly remembered the thread.

francisgraham - 2012-05-07 6:54 PM

Well done, you're learning to lie just as well as CliveH. You didn't ask a simple question. It was quite clearly rhetorical (look it up) and you added to this it:

I would suggest a warning sign that may be of some use to forum members under your name, ATTENTION GRABBER.

Why did you add that if you were asking a simple question? You quite clearly thought that my statement was wrong and that I was posting it to grab attention.

I expect this kind of reprehensible dishonesty from CliveH as I've had it in the past, but you disappoint me. And I didn't look it up in advance as I quite clearly remembered the thread.

There we go , proved my point , thanks Franny

antony1969 - 2012-05-07 7:01 PM
francisgraham - 2012-05-07 6:54 PM

There we go , proved my point , thanks Franny

Don't mention it aunty.

Archived