Toilet Paper

Peter R

I have a Portapotti and currently use two x two sheets of paper transversally and one x two sheet piece, front to back - to avoid contamination of the pan by solids.

Has anyone found a larger single sheet of degradeable paper that would provide the same/similar coverage. I've tried normal kitchen paper but this has a wet strength that makes it unsuitable for this purpose.

Any advice wil be welcome. Thank you. Peter R.

Do you really, actually, put paper layers in the pan before having a poo?

Oh Lordy Lordy.

We just use a bog brush if there's any "contamination by solids".

As for toliet paper, we use el cheapo stuff from Lidl etc....works just fine and degrades in the porta-potti cassette just fine.

Sounds like you need to improve your aim :D

Like others we use the cheap French & German papers smaller sheets dissolve well & don't fill the tank up as quick, you really don't want to use bigger sheets just means more emptying.

I just wonder how many brought their children up using washable nappies with linen liners. Had to clean these out before going into washing machine and did not wear gloves etc. If I soil the plastic I just wipe clean, after all it just come out of your body, and then a good hand wash, no problem.

PeterR If that is the way you want to go, then allow me to suggest you get a Man Size Kleenex Tissue, split the layers so instead of two, use one and see how you go. I suggest these as tissues are more like toilet paper than kitchen towel that is designed for mopping spills.

I hope this helps :-D

lookback - 2012-05-07 4:25 PM

Instead of tissues can I suggest:

http://www.happybowl.com/

Excellent product

Ian

The instructions say "Run water whilst you count to ten" after each and every time you use one of them.............that sounds to me like a massive amount of precious on-board water used per poo!

Guest JudgeMental
saw someone the other morning carrying a glass bowl full of pee and turds to toilets.......Hows that for keeping the thetford clean :-S

Guest JudgeMental
saw someone the other morning carrying a glass bowl full of pee and turds to toilets.......Hows that for keeping the thetford clean :-S

Guest JudgeMental

it seems the dreaded server error 505 is BACK :D

I remember in the 60's the Europeans carrying out their night bucket with fitted lid to the toilets in the morning.

We were lucky - had a porta-pottie (Elsan portaflush) where you flushed todays with yesterdays.

In answer to the question - use a toilet brush.

Guest peter
Why don't you get a pice of 4" drain pipe and place it in the orifice of the toilet and let fly down it. Result, clean bowl, and no flush water required. :D

It’s intriguing to note that concerns over motorhome toilet-bowl soiling are sufficient for a product (the Happybowl liner) to be marketed commercially to sidestep that task. As BGD observes, after use of the toilet sufficient water needs to be run into the toilet-bowl to thoroughly saturate the Happybowl liner and allow it to be washed with the solid waste into the motorhome’s holding-tank. So you’d really need large-capacity water and black-waste tanks, which implies an American RV, which is the type of motorhome the Happybowl is aimed at. I don’t think the Happybowl liner would be much cop for the ‘Thetford’ type of toilet normally fitted to European-built motorhomes due to the high water-usage requirement, and I can’t see it being effective with a stand-alone Porta Potti.

I can’t offer an alternative to Peter’s current use of lengths of ordinary toilet paper, but it’s perhaps worth highlighting that use of paper as a toilet-bowl shield is not a novel idea. These earlier threads may interest:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12050&start=1

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12732&start=1

crinklystarfish - 2012-05-08 9:53 AM

Heard of some success with keeping the blade closed, adding sufficient water, 'visiting', opening the blade - hey presto. Gentlemen may have to take care around teabagging issues.

Exactly! Half(ish) fill the bowl, do your stuff then open blade - no problem.

However I use a teapot for the teabags not the loo? The mind boggles.

Remind me to decline a cuppa in your van! 8-)

In the early days of motorhoming I always kept the blade closed whist 'visiting'. But after rather an unpleasent experience of having the whole 'visit' splashed back in my face when I opened the blade, I now make sure that the first thing I do is open the blade!

John *-)

Likewise.

If "sitting", then open the blade just before the result appears, then close it before the paper wipety-wipe bit, flush a bit to soak paper, then open and close blade again.

And......... relax.

laimeduck - 2012-05-08 10:31 AM

crinklystarfish - 2012-05-08 9:53 AM

Heard of some success with keeping the blade closed, adding sufficient water, 'visiting', opening the blade - hey presto. Gentlemen may have to take care around teabagging issues.

Exactly! Half(ish) fill the bowl, do your stuff then open blade - no problem.

However I use a teapot for the teabags not the loo? The mind boggles.

Remind me to decline a cuppa in your van! 8-)

I believe you'll find (use GOOGLE) that "teabagging" as employed above has little to do with cuppas. ;-)

The danger with the technique where the toilet-bowl is part-filled with water before use is that, when the blade-valve is opened, if there's positive pressure in the toilet cassette everything that's in the toilet-bowl may be ejected violently upwards instead of dropping into the cassette. The risk of this Vesuvius Effect occurring was high with Thetford's older bench-style toilets, less so with more modern Thetford designs that have a less abrupt blade-valve opening action. It shouldn't happen if the toilet is fitted with a SOG system or a vent-tube.

Wirralian - 2012-05-08 10:16 PMIn the early days of motorhoming I always kept the blade closed whist 'visiting'. But after rather an unpleasent experience of having the whole 'visit' splashed back in my face when I opened the blade, I now make sure that the first thing I do is open the blade!John *-)

Ah, the trick with that is to equalise pressure before the operation commences in earnest. A brief crack of the blade's seal before closing it again and adding the water is all that is required.

And why were you facing the contents?

Liking Bruce's military-precision timing method.

Archived