Toilet Paper

Peter R

Hi All,

Like most motorhomes our loo is in with the shower. Best way is not to use the toilet flusher [insufficient cleansing power] but give a very quick squirt with the shower head. This method keeps everywhere spotless and uses a lot less water,give it a try. Always use blade open method.

cheers

derek

Thank you Ladies, Gentlemen, and Cartoon Characters, for your various constructive and facetious responses. One wonders what one does with the Loo Brush after use. Perhaps it’s supposed to be twirled in the reservoir !!!

My original request has had most enlightening results which are particularly pertinent to someone like me with storage for only the smallest Qube Potti with a limited reservoir below. On tour using a mixture of Aires, Wild and Conventional sites, capacity is a significant factor and hygiene is important when conventional disposal is not readily available. The indicators of earlier threads was also of interest – my use of ‘search ‘ didn’t find them.

Thank you all again, Peter R.

Three elderly gentlemen are out camping

First one says, 'Windy, isn't it?'

Second one says, 'No, it's Thursday!'

Third one says, 'So am I. Let's get a beer..'

tonyishuk - 2012-05-09 5:12 PM

Only bit of information I can add (found on this forum) is to paint the rubber blade of the Thetford white.

Then at night, even in the poorest light, you can see if there is a clear drop !

Rgds

I don't remember that ploy (Perhaps it's in the "USEFULL TIPS" thread - that I've never looked at - on the Hints and Tips forum?) but it's inviting trouble.

The 'blade' of a Thetford toilet is made of hard plastic. On older models of toilet the blade slides across the rubber seal at the base of the toilet-bowl, so any roughness on the blade is likely to damage the rubber seal and/or cause the seal to leak. The blade of more modern Thetford toilets works differently, moving laterally below the rubber seal before finally closing by moving vertically upwards. In this case roughness should be less of a problem regarding seal-damage, but there's still the chance of leakage occurring.

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/home/product_37034/Blade_for_Thetford_Cassettes_23847.aspx

Of course, if one could find a paint that could tolerate a toilet-bowl's harsh environment, and apply it smoothly to the blade, it should be OK.

The principle behind the painting idea is sound though, and it would indeed be useful if it were easier to distinguish between the (black) blade being closed and the (black) hole that results from the blade being open. Perhaps Thetford could offer a fluorescent blade, or one with red and yellow stripes, or one with a 'smiley' on it, or a light-coloured blade with a picture of a redback spider in the centre?

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-10 7:46 AM

Of course, if one could find a paint that could tolerate a toilet-bowl's harsh environment, and apply it smoothly to the blade, it should be OK.

I used an ordinary white emulsion, (water soluble) and the effect has lasted a couple of years. The blade is an across and up motion, so there is little wear on the top surface. The area around the sealhas worn a little and paint worn down, but as far as I can see there is no dertiment to the blade or seal.

I do however give the blade, seal and "slidey flat blade" a squirt of Thetfords lubricant occasionaly which makes the opening and closing of the blade much easier and less "clunky"

Rgds

Archived