Water Top up point required Dover -Dunkirk - Namur

geoff

Can anyone advise me of water point that are accessible at night ? Apart from an emergency gallon, I'll be empty when I get to Dover terminal so I'll be looking for a full fill.

My planned route is Dover to Dunkirk, west on the E40/A16 to Dunkirk, then D916 to Burgues. After a fuel stop I'll be heading through Poperinge to Ypres then taking the A25/E42 to Namur.

I've never found it easy to get water in this region and the few placesI know of are only available during the day.

Thanks Lenny,

Its looks a good web site. Its been a couple of years since I did that route so Im glad to see they've improved the aires facilities.

Dont suppose " one footer" has the sat nav coords for Gravelines as I couldnt find it last time I looked - its my own fault, I shouldn't travel at night but, at least I miss the Dartford queue's AND........ I save a tenner on the ferry fares !!!!!

geoff - 2012-05-07 3:47 PMThanks Lenny,Its looks a good web site. Its been a couple of years since I did that route so Im glad to see they've improved the aires facilities.Dont suppose " one footer" has the sat nav coords for Gravelines as I couldnt find it last time I looked - its my own fault, I shouldn't travel at night but, at least I miss the Dartford queue's AND........ I save a tenner on the ferry fares !!!!!

Here are the coordinates for Gravelines, please click here http://www.fulltiming.org/index.php/aires-wildparking-map-coordinates/1-free-aires/61-gravelines

Guest Tracker

I do seem to recall seeing an easy access outside tap in the Dunkerque ferry waiting area - after you've booked in and close to the cafe / shop next to the waiting lines / queues?

Can't be sure as we've never needed it - has anyone else seen or used it?

I presume you mean the Dover terminal and if so what lane numbers, or which ferry company did you use ?

Lenny, where can I find the definitions for the Icons - I can work out some of them but not all the variations, I must have been off school that day !

Do you carry a water container?

I do carry two hosepipes, but often we can/have to fill up by other means too......

I keep a 20 litre water container jobbie, with a big filling hole/screw cap, and can fill it from all sorts of places - even sinks in public loos if needs be with a short bit of hose.

Then to transfer it into my onboard tank through the filler hole in the van wall, I use the same trick that lots of others use: a 90-degree plastic rainwater waste-pipe bend, which push-fits exactly into the recess in my water-filling point on my MH, and which is a perfect funnel.

Guest Tracker
geoff - 2012-05-07 4:07 PM

I presume you mean the Dover terminal and if so what lane numbers?

Do you want water at Dover or Dunkerque Geoff - as I am referring to the Dunkerque terminal whilst waiting to get back to UK - I don't know about the Dover side as the UK is always a problem for getting water whereas France is always very easy - virtually every Aire will be open 24/7 mostly either free, cash or credit card with some being by jeton which are nearly always a pain to source so we try to avoid them.

As you won't be in the van on the boat does it matter which side you get water?

Do you carry a book of Aires - we find it invaluable?

I'm not bothered where I get the water but when I arrive at Dunkirk I wont be able to access the waiting area unless I book in. Its a couple of years since I was there and did'nt realise there was a shop/cafe on site.

I have got an aires book, its a few years old, doesnt show co ords so I tend to follow my nose or get reccomendations from fellow travellers.Know what you mean about jetons - I've got quite a few different ones left over but they never seem to fit anywhere else -Grrrrrr !

BGD - 2012-05-07 4:09 PM

I do carry two hosepipes, but often we can/have to fill up by other means too......

Ever tried to do a 100 litre fill at Shiltach ? A big bore press and hold tap (faucet) about 4 foot off the ground.

With only a 1 gall container and no funnel its a b****** so I quickly learnt to carry bits and bobs including an assortment of tap fittings but my piece de resistance is a whale submersible pump which is dropped into the 5 gall (sorry, 20 litre ) container.

Im too old - and too wise- to lift heavy containers !

Hi Geoff,

Co-ordinates for aire point, not parking, at Gravelines are N 50 59' 36 E 2 7' 54 and is situated next to Gendamerie. Cost is 2€ payable by credit card. What not sure is why you will be empty when you cross? Could you not fill up at your last stop in U.K.? Good news is that weather here in Champagne area although unsettled appears to be moving in right direction, today nice and sunny, around 21 C, on aire at Chateau Thierry (will send full report on this and other aires visited/visiting in due course)

robertandjean - 2012-05-07 What not sure is why you will be empty when you cross?

There could be many logical reasons ie :-

A, We are travelling 300 miles non stop, travelling empty uses less juice

B,The camper has been parked up in storage with no water facilities

C,The camper has just been collected from the police compound

D,The person we are buying the camper from has no hose facilities

E, We couldn't really ask the owner to fill it up before we stole it

Does it really matter ?

Anyway enjoy the sun , we're having to endure the rain.

Guest Tracker
geoff - 2012-05-07 5:42 PM

robertandjean - 2012-05-07 What not sure is why you will be empty when you cross?

There could be many logical reasons ie :-

A, We are travelling 300 miles non stop, travelling empty uses less juice

B,The camper has been parked up in storage with no water facilities

C,The camper has just been collected from the police compound

D,The person we are buying the camper from has no hose facilities

E, We couldn't really ask the owner to fill it up before we stole it

Does it really matter ?

Of course it does not matter - to us - but I too did wonder why not leave home with a tank full and save all the faffing about?

Why not buy an up to date Aires book with GPS Lat and Long - you may well find the cost of the book is considerably less than the diesel used faffing about and certainly the frustration and time saved is alone more than worth the cost - well it is for us?

But if you are happy to do it the hard way - good luck mate!!

OOPS ! It seems I've upset Tracker with my dry Yorkshire humour. Sorry Tracker !

A fellow Yorkshireman would appreciate that the the first answer was the correct one and that this was meant to be a lighthearted response.

Perhaps I should stress that I appreciate all the replies I've received and that the all the information is stored for future reference.

geoff - 2012-05-07 4:54 PM

BGD - 2012-05-07 4:09 PM

Ever tried to do a 100 litre fill at Shiltach ? A big bore press and hold tap (faucet) about 4 foot off the ground.

With only a 1 gall container and no funnel its a b****** so I quickly learnt to carry bits and bobs including an assortment of tap fittings but my piece de resistance is a whale submersible pump which is dropped into the 5 gall (sorry, 20 litre ) container.

Im too old - and too wise- to lift heavy containers !

Yes.

Our on-board freshwater tank is 120 litres max.

Thus it's about 5 trips back and forth with my 20 litres container. Takes maybe 20 mins tops if I have to fill the entire on board tank using the method I described, rather than via a hosepipe.

In practice the tank is still may a quarter full when we look for a top-up, so about 3 or 4 fill-trips if I can't use a hosepipe. Say 15 mins instead of perhaps 5 mins for a hose-fill.

I often fill the 20 litre container once more when the tank is full, and store it under our dinette table for tank topping up a day or two later.

Also I've got an ultra compact sack truck type thingy which I can attach my container to, in order to go and get water if we in a location/site/wild-camp/aire where we don't want to move the van just to get more fresh water, and the nearest tap is too far for my two hoses when joined together.

Not too much extra time in reality I find to top up via container; and it does massively increase the number of locations where you can obtain fresh water...

Guest Tracker

Not in the least upset Geoff - whatever gave you that idea!!

I apologise for not making allowances for a Northerner but now that I know that you are from Yorkshire where there is little cause to smile I do understand how hard it must be to buy a new Aires book whilst the old one is less than 25 years old!!

Remarkably, the world is not full of Yorkshiremen who would rather struggle looking for a tap in the dark than buy an up to date book!

Don't tell me - I bet your sat nav is clockwork!!

Here tappy tappy, here tappy tappy - where are you!!

There is NO  water at the Gravelines Aire, you have to go to the Gendarmarie about a mile away where the  bourne is and you need a credit / Debit card to get it, you can fill with water and empty your toilet at  Canterbury Park n Ride Aire before you cross £2-50 for 24 hrs stay.

Guest JudgeMental

i find myself kinda agreeing with tracker...most odd. traveling with no water makes no sense for the few pennys you save. fill up with good drinkabable yorkshire water before you leave home would be my advice

their is an aire on route that we use as a stop over and it has services around the back so no probs using in middle of night..it is situated just before a town called Eeklo

aire and campsite down loads are available all over the place for FREE, presuming your sat nav moden enough to accept them.. :-D

Tracker holds the all the forum awards for meanness...but you my friend appear to be in a different league...absolutely astonishing :D

Guest Tracker

Now that Eddie is a sense of humour that I can relate to!!

The sunshine must be doing you a lot of good - but heaven help us all when you return to the deep joy of the winter gloom of England - in June!!

Let us know when as I'm going to duck back below me parapet!

A Yorkshireman with a sense of humour - he cannot be serious - such things only exist in myths and legends!!

Geoff,

We also travel from West Yorkshire to Dover and set off with our water tank full plus extra in container, so that we have not to find water straight away; forget the bit of money you might save for us its not worth it. We also fill up with water before we leave each aire so if there is a problem at next aire we are not stuck short of water. For upto date aires book with co-ordinates suggest "Le Guide National de Aires des Service 2012" still available in French newsagents, but sorry Geoff it will cost you 9.90€ !!

Hope this shows that not all us Yorkshire folk are tight wads, but have to agree with both Tracker and the Judge that many are!

Archived