There goes another mirror

WildBill

Going through Exmoor along the winding roads on Friday. Came to a small bridge, slowed down to go over it and along comes white van man, intent on getting over that bridge before me at speed. Well he got over it and tok my mirror with him. Bits came off and the mirror was hanging by the electric leads. I stopped and went back to pick up the bits but he was long gone. I managed to push the mirror glass back into the outer casing and the plastic cover for the upper arm went back on ok but the indicator glass is broken with a piece missing leaving the bulb etc open to the elements.

This is a Ducato mirror and I seem to remember someone saying at some stage a while back that they found a Fiat 500 lens was exactly the same lens as the one on the Ducato mirror and was a lot cheaper. If so, does anyone know what Fiat 500 lens it is and are they readily available? Also, the mirror pushed back into the plastic holder but unlike the previous model Ducato, there appears to be no clips. Is this right?

Any help much appreciated

TVM

We've got mirror guards fitted. Last time out an impatient driver in a blue BMW estate caught one of our mirrors an almighty clout. Mirror folded back with an impressive bang, no damage and the blue BMW paint came off the shell quite easily with a bit of polish.

Score so far Mirror Gaurd 1 Blue BMW 0

WildBill - 2012-05-07 10:05 PM

This is a Ducato mirror and I seem to remember someone saying at some stage a while back that they found a Fiat 500 lens was exactly the same lens as the one on the Ducato mirror and was a lot cheaper. If so, does anyone know what Fiat 500 lens it is and are they readily available?

.....hate to be the bringer of bad news, but AIR, the Fiat 500 reference was to the indicator lens being the same as the indicator insert on Rapido A-class mirrors (not the original fit Fiat mirrors).

Guest pelmetman
300 squid that will do nicely sir................sorry that's my duff impression of your local Fiat main dealer :D

Thanks again for further help chaps.

I have been onto my fiat forum and got directed to a link on e-bay. I have found the lens on e-bay for under £18 and am ordering it tomorrow once I have confirmed the part number. Its quite amazing what parts there are on there. A whole wing mirror can be bought for a little under £100. Damned sight less than £300 from fiat dealer man.

Thanks again.

We got mirror guards fitted after a white van man took ours off with him. Our mechanic friend kindly got the new whole thing for us for £144 as the whole arm was completely cracked,(we've kept the lenses & bits for spares) and when I told him I could get it on Ebay cheaper, he said to be careful as some of the ones sold are not always the exact size and either can't be fitted or are difficult to fit, but I'm only referring to the whole mirror arm not the lenses as you have bought. Hopefully these mirror guards will help protect us a bit as our roads are very narrow in places and with the choice of a granite wall on your left and a white van on the right, it's hoson's choice really - anyone bringing their motorhome over to the channel islands just take care as there are a lot of white van men and even more big 4x4 owners who haven't got a clue of the width of their vehicle and obviously don't know where the brakes are!

Guest pelmetman
Nice to see you got it sorted Wild Bill and for a fraction of what a maindealer would charge ;-)

Johnontheroad - thanks for that link which I am contacting.

Wildbill - could you post the Ebay link please?

I have managed to break the lower smaller glass on my wing mirror so hope not to have to replace the whole unit.

• 5 months later...
Patricia - 2012-05-12 8:27 AM

I have managed to break the lower smaller glass on my wing mirror so hope not to have to replace the whole unit.

Does anyone know if its possible to replace just the glass indicator part of the wing mirror? Ive been told by the camper van hire place the whole unit needs to be replaced as its a fixed unit but have seen the lenses on ebay and wondered if it was possible to replace just the lens?

bioduk - 2012-10-15 3:49 PM

Patricia - 2012-05-12 8:27 AM

Does anyone know if its possible to replace just the glass indicator part of the wing mirror? Ive been told by the camper van hire place the whole unit needs to be replaced as its a fixed unit but have seen the lenses on ebay and wondered if it was possible to replace just the lens?

Hi and welcome try this one http://www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/wing-mirror-glass-4 sorry just seen indicator glass, there is a post either on here or on motorhome fun I think some one found them on ebay.

Good Luck

Dave

Smashed our mirror in France this summer, decided to have a new one fit before the MOT. The van was in for another job so asked them to fit the new mirror and take it for the test. After a couple of days the dealer phoned and said our van had just gone for the test so we could go down to collect it. Guess what before we even left home the dealer phoned to say the test had gone ok BUT on the way back to the dealers, the driver had an accident and yes he had smashed the new mirror. Anyway all well now with van back today with new mirror and for our trouble they gave the van a good clean. Think I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when he returned with the smashed mirror.

Keith (sooty)

There are two little screws behind the mirror glass retaining the indicator lens. If the original lens has an orange cover an Amazon replacement is usually clear, use an orange replacement bulb and a pair of Mirrorguards. Mine was smashed in Whitby by an idiot in a Bessacar pulling around a parked car, not allways the white van man!!

kelly58 - 2012-10-15 8:40 PM

Since fitting these flashes to my mirrors other people seem to notice them better.£1.99 for a pack of 10 from e-bay.

Perhaps if I had had those on my near-side mirror two weeks ago speeding French (at least I think he was French - too fast to see number plate) white van man on normal D road might not have completely ripped it off ! Too quick to decide between him and the deep ditch to which I could not have been closer. Didn't stop of course. Anyway eventually found replacement at a garage (miles away in the opposite direction) although only a manual one, not electric. Cost me nearly 300€ fitted but I was so relieved as being a lone traveller overtaking is not easy without near-side mirror. Man at the garage was concerned that it was for a lefthand drive vehicle but I can see through it so no problem. May search for these flashes.

However, the problem of the off-side small bottom mirror (pre 2006 double lens) remains. I have been told van will not pass MOT unless the mirror is replaced. I have followed the links that you have kindly posted but have not found what I need so I will have to contact them and ask if they have the specific replacement. I hope to avoid fitting a full unit.

Patricia - 2012-10-15 9:33 PM

kelly58 - 2012-10-15 8:40 PM

Since fitting these flashes to my mirrors other people seem to notice them better.£1.99 for a pack of 10 from e-bay.

Perhaps if I had had those on my near-side mirror two weeks ago speeding French (at least I think he was French - too fast to see number plate) white van man on normal D road might not have completely ripped it off ! Too quick to decide between him and the deep ditch to which I could not have been closer. Didn't stop of course. Anyway eventually found replacement at a garage (miles away in the opposite direction) although only a manual one, not electric. Cost me nearly 300€ fitted but I was so relieved as being a lone traveller overtaking is not easy without near-side mirror. Man at the garage was concerned that it was for a lefthand drive vehicle but I can see through it so no problem. May search for these flashes.

However, the problem of the off-side small bottom mirror (pre 2006 double lens) remains. I have been told van will not pass MOT unless the mirror is replaced. I have followed the links that you have kindly posted but have not found what I need so I will have to contact them and ask if they have the specific replacement. I hope to avoid fitting a full unit.

Could this help half way down the page http://www.magnumvs.co.uk/van.html?category_id=893&page=shop.browse&limit=20&limitstart=0&vmcchk=1

Dave

Archived