There goes another mirror

WildBill

I bought a replacement lens for my O/S indicator for £14 or £15 from my local Fiat commercial dealer, Guests in Wolverhampton. There are two types, one has a lens with an amber filter designed to take a clear bulb. The other has no filter and uses an amber bulb.

From memory, the one without the filter is slightly more expensive for some reason.

Literally a five minute job to fit.

Patricia - 2012-10-15 9:33 PM................................However, the problem of the off-side small bottom mirror (pre 2006 double lens) remains. I have been told van will not pass MOT unless the mirror is replaced. I have followed the links that you have kindly posted but have not found what I need so I will have to contact them and ask if they have the specific replacement. I hope to avoid fitting a full unit.

I hope I'm understanding correctly, Patricia, but if it is only the mirror glass that is broken, they should be available from a Fiat dealer. Failing that Halfords or similar (I think there is a similar chain in France?) used to do just the mirror glasses. Fitting is quite easy, though a bit fiddly. You need to rotate the mirror glass as far as it will go, so that you can see behind it. There is a wire clip that holds the glass to its base. The clip has a loop at each end, and both should be visible with the mirror rotated as described. You need to hook the loops one at a time, lifting the upper one up and towards the front of the vehicle, and the lower one down and towards the front of the vehicle. The back of the replacement should give a clue what you are looking for. This will disengage the clips from the carrier, allowing the old mirror to be removed. If new clip not included with new glass, transfer old clip to new glass and it should just press into place on the carrier. Just don't drop the new mirror glass in the process!!! :-D I hope this helps, it is about six years ago when I had to do one, so all is from memory! :-S

Sparky7 - 2012-10-17 2:45 PMWhere does one obtain these mirror guards (for a Peugeot Boxer), and how much are they please? I've only had the van a couple of months and they've already been clouted twice!

Look  to the right of the page and click on the advertisement there...Mirror guard

RogerC - 2012-10-17 2:47 PM
Sparky7 - 2012-10-17 2:45 PMWhere does one obtain these mirror guards (for a Peugeot Boxer), and how much are they please? I've only had the van a couple of months and they've already been clouted twice!

Look  to the right of the page and click on the advertisement there...Mirror guard

I'm afraid these would have been useless to save the particular damage to both of my mirrors! The force from the van in France completely smashed and severed the mirror from the m/home save for an electric wire. In retrospect I was really lucky he was not a few more inches on my side of the road otherwise I would have sustained far more damage to the vehicle and he would h have probably killed the dog who is always in a harness on the passenger seat. Didn't know that he had hit me? NO WAY!I cracked the other mirror glass reversing in the dark so, again, mirror guards would not have prevented that. Definitely my own fault.

My thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I think I might have found the solution so now have to get down on my knees and beg son-in-law to do the job (will show him the snippets of advice though).I may also have misled people by using the word "mirror" rather than "lens".

We have mirror Gaurds fitted. The score so far is 2 wins for us no losses. Do we get a bonus if one of the losers was a BMW estate?

Hit the mirrors hard enought to knock them right off and the mirror Gaurds won't work but for most bumps they do work brilliantly and are well worth the money. I notice more and more of them being used and I've lost count of the time we have been asked on site where we got them from..

Just joined the club! Parked up this afternoon - immediately outside a police station - offside wheels up on the (wide) pavement so nearside of the Flash S2 (and its mirror were well inside the white line delineating the parking space). Folded in the offside mirror out of consideration for pedestrians but foolishly thought that the nearside would be OK. Came back, got in, started engine, left indicators on, looked in nearside mirror - no mirror!!!!!!!!!!!. I was lucky, the main mirror was unbroken but hanging on the wires. I managed to pop the mirror back in and it all works. The lower mirror had also popped out and this one also popped back in. Curiously there was no sign of impact and no damage to the bodywork.

I don't need to be told twice. Always fold in your mirrors when you park. I can hear you all saying repeat after me ............

Something to be said for panel vans then.

mikejkay - 2012-10-22 9:20 PMJust joined the club! Parked up this afternoon - immediately outside a police station - offside wheels up on the (wide) pavement so nearside of the Flash S2 (and its mirror were well inside the white line delineating the parking space). Folded in the offside mirror out of consideration for pedestrians but foolishly thought that the nearside would be OK. Came back, got in, started engine, left indicators on, looked in nearside mirror - no mirror!!!!!!!!!!!. I was lucky, the main mirror was unbroken but hanging on the wires. I managed to pop the mirror back in and it all works. The lower mirror had also popped out and this one also popped back in. Curiously there was no sign of impact and no damage to the bodywork.I don't need to be told twice. Always fold in your mirrors when you park. I can hear you all saying repeat after me ............Something to be said for panel vans then.

Parking on the pavement? ....naughty naughty....around here if you did that you'd be lucky if it was not ripped off completely and the sides keyed.....

Archived