MiFi ?

Caroline

Hi all

I have been reading June’s MMM about Wifi gadgetry which I found interesting, especially the Mifi.

Have you got ot experienced this, is it as versitile as it looks for this country?

Could I get rid of my home phone and broadband and use this instead?

(?)

Guest Tracker

I use my smartphone as a mobile wifi hotspot for my ipad as it was cheaper - as in no cost - and one less gadget to have to figure out - than buying a mifi thigymajig!

All you have to do in many cases is unlock the smartphone and choose your own network - Giffgaff on O2 is as good as any and cheaper than most.

In the case of my Orange San Francisco I had to 'root' it - get rid of the Orange crapware and restrictions so that it works on the universal Android OS with any SIM and not Orange's bloated version.

Not simple for most of us but to someone who knows about these things (my bruvver and/or son!!) it was easy enough if a little time consuming.

Hi Caroline

I got one of these for my birthday, and my son has nicked it to take on holiday! but I view that as a "test flight" for the idea.Mine's on "3" network, and seems to do a good job. My only concern now is to get it unlocked from "3" when I take it to France, as part of the benefit is the ability to use a local PAYG SIM card to save roaming charges. I'll keep you posted.

I also started a thread on "Hints and Tips" which some people have been kind enough to reply to - you may find their posts helpful too.

As someone has pointed out earlier, it doesn't make much sense if you already have a Smartphone, especially if it is on 3 Networks, all you can eat data!

Must say I read the article with much amusement as the writer states that he connected to the MiFi using the Smartphones wireless capability, why! The smartphone, leastways those that I have used running Android, can simply be used as a WiFi Hotspot doing exactly the same job as the MiFi, connecting the smartphone using wireless to a MiFi is as bizare to me as towing a car with a caravan, motorised that is!

Bas

Guest pelmetman

Travelled all the way through France and not a single connection on my 3 phone until Spain 8-) .......

Yet I've been a daily nuisance on the forum via my Kindle...........and FREE :D :D

You must travel in very different parts of France to us, I cannot remember a time we have not had a connection in France on Three Network (albeit through partners), both on dongal and on phone!

Bas

Guest JudgeMental
I just use a Blackberry phone..£15 a month for internet browsing, email and Blackberry messaging..in full contact wit friends and family and able to send instant photos + use it with laptop also....

So is "3" widely available in France then?

And does a UK-based "3" SIM incur extrotionate roaming charges, or would mine be worth using as it is? (I'm only thinking of e-mail, weather reports, Tour de France updates etc, not watching TV or streaming videos.)

Interesting comments thanks

Tony I have been watching your post on Hints and Tips.

I do have a smart phone and it is hot spotted to my IPad, but my OH and daughter do not.

Was interested in doing away with the home phone, is the signal as strong as the home one from this gadget or do you have to be within a certain distance to use it.

Did not realise they were locked to a network, will have to investigate that some more.

Was more interested in this country than abroad as we move about a bit, but the idea of being able to use it abroad is interesting.

Anymore helpful info?

Guest pelmetman
Basil - 2012-05-08 9:08 PM

You must travel in very different parts of France to us, I cannot remember a time we have not had a connection in France on Three Network (albeit through partners), both on dongal and on phone!

Bas

Had the same problem in Dec.......no connection until Biarritz :-S............Never tried my 3 dongle as I've always assumed it would cost an arm and a leg :-S

Caroline - 2012-05-08 2:54 PM

Hi all

I have been reading June’s MMM about Wifi gadgetry which I found interesting, especially the Mifi.

Have you got ot experienced this, is it as versitile as it looks for this country?

Could I get rid of my home phone and broadband and use this instead?

(?)

Have had Dongles and now Wifi for some 3 years or more, and this is our only home connection to the internet. We also use mobi le phones as no landlines,

The MIFI is with 'Three; and i have to say that having upgraded to the latest version only a few months back, am very disappointed of late with the performance/signal.It seems to go down/drop out or whatever the term is at the drop of a hat, and though they tell me the local transmission aerials have been upgraded, and the new MIFI dongle is 'faster' than earlier versions I remain unconvinced.

Having said that if /when you do get a goor relliable signal, its very good to use.Additionaly if you travel thoruhg the Uk, there is mostly a signal of sorts..and it is very much cheaper than paying CC site prices!

Personally I would not get rid of a home phone in its favour though, esepcially now that there a many offers on smart phones which as mentioned can be used for either the actual wifi connceciton, or simply to obtain internet/e-mails.

As far as using abroad is concerned, don't even go there - it is by their own admission prohibitivly expensive....and they blame it on EU regulations reducing the cost of phone calling prices.

Whether you can buy a different simcard when abroad for use in the dongle I am not aware, but would be interested to read any comments on this.

Basil - 2012-05-08 8:51 PM

Must say I read the article with much amusement as the writer states that he connected to the MiFi using the Smartphones wireless capability, why! The smartphone, leastways those that I have used running Android, can simply be used as a WiFi Hotspot doing exactly the same job as the MiFi, connecting the smartphone using wireless to a MiFi is as bizare to me as towing a car with a caravan, motorised that is!

Bas

If you're on 3 for your mobile, agree (other than the minor point that it's a good way of draining the battery on your mobile).

However, it's a fact of life that in the UK many (dare I say most?) campsites are in places with lousy mobile coverage. So if you've got a 3 mifi, and your mobile on either Voda or O2, then there's a good chance that you'll have coverage on the mifi and not your mobile, or vice versa (the mifi will roam onto EE when there's no 3 coverage). So having the mifi increases your chance of getting a signal in the first place.

Tony Jones - 2012-05-09 9:52 AM

So is "3" widely available in France then?

In my experience a resounding yes, '3' uses Bouygues or Orange networks in France, both are national coverage subject to the usual mystifying 'holes' as in the UK. As I said earlier I have had no problems myself.

Tony Jones - 2012-05-09 9:52 AM

And does a UK-based "3" SIM incur extrotionate roaming charges, or would mine be worth using as it is? (I'm only thinking of e-mail, weather reports, Tour de France updates etc, not watching TV or streaming videos.)

You are charged at £1.28/Mb, which compared to 'in package' all you can eat data is costly. 3 automaticaly limit you to a maximum usage cost of £43, unless you request a higher rate. Again personaly I have never used more than around £15 my usage requirements being very similar to yours Tony i.e. e-mails, weather and checking out campsites.

Bas

Rosbotham - 2012-05-09 7:33 PM

If you're on 3 for your mobile, agree (other than the minor point that it's a good way of draining the battery on your mobile).

However, it's a fact of life that in the UK many (dare I say most?) campsites are in places with lousy mobile coverage. So if you've got a 3 mifi, and your mobile on either Voda or O2, then there's a good chance that you'll have coverage on the mifi and not your mobile, or vice versa (the mifi will roam onto EE when there's no 3 coverage). So having the mifi increases your chance of getting a signal in the first place.

Can see your point about having a different network phone for any '3' 'blackspots', but you are just as likely to have the same problem with the other networks (we have 3, O2 and Vodaphone PAYG sims and spare phones) in the same or other areas. though that has not been a problem for us.

However I am still unable to understand why you feel the MiFi is any better than the smartphone? I ask this in all sincerity as 3 keep offering me one for free and I just cannot see the point when the Smartphone hotspot does the same, i.e. the phone will search for HSPA+ and if that is not available or signal too weak to support then will use standard 3G, not sure what EE, as you quoted, means. So exactly how does MiFi "increase your chance of a signal in the first place".

Bas

With one caveat, with the same network SIM in as the one in your smartphone it doesn't increase your chances. However my main point was that you would have a mifi with a 3 SIM in it (giving you coverage wherever there's 3, T-Mobile or Orange network coverage), which means if you've got a Voda or O2 SIM in your smartphone you've got a much better chance of one or the other working. I've got to say my experience is that it's extremely common to have coverage only from a subset of networks in rural areas...generally the ones for which you don't have a SIM card handy.

The caveat I mention is that the mifi is quite small (and in comparison to a smartphone cheap), allowing you to position it in locations where it can just get a signal where otherwise dodgy coverage would mean no access. For example, in dry weather I've popped it out of the rooflight onto the van roof. Or outside on top of the wheel. Or like this last weekend jammed between the top of my cupboards and the van ceiling. I wouldn't/couldn't do any of those with my £300+ smartphone. I also wouldn't take a call on my smartphone while it was pumping out a wifi signal...you might choose to do so, I wouldn't, any more than I'd go and use my home wifi router as a pillow.

Thanks RB, so if I am understanding what you are saying, it is not that the MiFi will pick up better than the smartphone, only that it means that you don't have to use a device i.e. smartphone for multiple uses.

If that is the case I guess my own assessment of the situation is correct and that the MiFi is just another gadget that does part of the job of a smartphone. Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

Bas

The MiFi is simply a device-in-a-box to connect to mobile broadband (3G et al) and offer it up via a local wifi connection to connect devices. An unlocked device will work with any SIM with internet entitlement.

However, many people have smartphones with this functionality built in - e.g. "tethering". My Android phone is currenltly connected to the 3G/HSPDA network and then giving me a local Wifi connection that I'm using.

(Also using a cheap giffgaff SIM in it for unlmited internet - UK)

So great idea, but you (or others) may not need to buy a dedicated device

I cannot have a landline where I live and so I use a MIfi on 3 for internet access. I find this quite good although an older desktop will not connect wirelessly to the network so I have to plug the Mifi in directly. I am investigating obtaining a wireless card for the desktop. Previously with a 3 router and a dongle the desktop connected without problem through a Belkin adapter. At times the signal fails but 3 offer compensation (£5 this month) and I do live in the country. In England I usually find a signal although at my daughter's house, in which an Orange signal is possible, I cannot usually get on line nor on my O2 phone which has unlimited internet access. I cannot tether on this tariff either which is annoying as the phone screen is small.

As for abroad I would be very interested in having information about local SIM cards as particularly in France internet access when roaming is very expensive. I do have a French SIM for calls (works perfectly well in an old O2 Nokia which has not been unlocked) but I try to find free wifi or use my Kindle for emails. 3 are certainly the cheapest for internet access abroad, most of the other networks are over £3 a mg. There is talk of new regulations next year which will make internet access much cheaper. Suggested caps: • Data: Capped at €0.70 per megabyte from July 2012, €0.45 from July 2013 and €0.20 from July 2014. EU are supposed to vote on this during this month.

pelmetman - 2012-05-08 9:04 PM

Travelled all the way through France and not a single connection on my 3 phone until Spain 8-) .......

Yet I've been a daily nuisance on the forum via my Kindle...........and FREE :D :D

Ive just been bought a Kindle for my Birthday :-D so can you tell me how I do this Dave or Sue? I thought you can only get on the internet if you can find a open wifi hotspot.

thanks maggy

Hi, 3 Mobile Network have 'All You Can Eat Data' Sims and that means exactly what it says, completely unlimited data usage, unlike other networks that claim unlimited data but is actualy restricted by a 'Fair use policy', normally restricting you to 528 Mb, they cost £15/ month for Sim only, so if you have an unlocked 3G phone and want to truely unlimited data use, just buy a Sim. You are also allowed to use your phone as a WiFi access point (Android anyway can't speak for other types) this is not strictly tethering as that is where you hard wire your mobile phone to your computer and use it as a modem.

You actually use the phone as a WiFi access point, just like any other WiFi point that you would use, it works very well and you can connect multiple devices at the same time, I have connected five at a time myself purely as an experiment. It is quick and you see no difference between connecting this way than using a 'normal' WiFi point. This is the reason that I can see no advantage in the MiFi gadget unless you want a dedicated WiFi point for some reason.

Bas

hey me again

We need 30 days notice to end your contract. SIM for use in a 3G phone.

SIM plans with All-you-can-eat data do not allow tethering (except for the One Plan). If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering. so not sure with plan your using

keith

justbuzme - 2012-05-14 10:02 PM

hey me again

We need 30 days notice to end your contract. SIM for use in a 3G phone.

SIM plans with All-you-can-eat data do not allow tethering (except for the One Plan). If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering. so not sure with plan your using

keith

Tethering is not so easy to detect on an Adroid phone like it is on an Iphone, so you will probably get away undetected if you are worried about it there are apps you can download that hide tethering.

Archived