MiFi ?

Caroline

Using your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot is not tethering, as I stated earlier and is from 3 themselves from a phone conversation I had with them. Tethering is when you actually connect a hard wired cable to a computer and use the phone as a modem, again according to 3 themselves.

In any case I used to Tether on a pre smartphone and that never came up as a problem, I would like to know how they would be able to detect that you had Tethered anyway surely it would only show as Data use. Anyway people can and should decide for themselves, I use mine as a hotspot all the time now in preference to using my Dongle and/ or trying to decipher a too small a screen, I have been doing that for over 18 months and will continue to do so.

Bas

Couple of years ago I tried to use my O2 phone with my computer but could not connect. I contacted O2 by email and the reply said yes I definitely could use my phone with my computer (nokia N95) but when I phoned for help they said no. Can you tell me how you can connect to the computer without hardwiring please?

It took me ages to work out how to connect the IPhone to the IPad, and numerous calls, Apple help desk is excellent. You do have to have a tethering option on your package, I had £30 a month (unlimited Data) on O2 cause I brought the phone with it and when I rang up to get the tethering the package was reduced to £27 a month (unlimited data and tethering). With tethering I have the option of either connecting via Wifi, Bluetooth or USB cable.

I must say the information provided at various stages was not good until I went direct to Apple themselves and got the right person at O2.

Now I have tethering, it is fabulous not tried it on the move (navigator position) we have not got that lost yet, and it does eat your battery life.

(lol)

michele - 2012-05-15 8:59 AM

On the kindle , isnt that like watchin paint dry Pelmetman ,.....tell me more 8-)

Pelmetman has evidently lost his link Michelle :-D or is too busy sunbathing (lucky so and so)

Basil - 2012-05-15 9:45 AM

In any case I used to Tether on a pre smartphone and that never came up as a problem, I would like to know how they would be able to detect that you had Tethered anyway surely it would only show as Data use.

Bas

They detect tethering by the TTL associated to the IP packets each hop on a network reduces the TTL by 1. Smartpones have a different TTL to your PC, iphone for example is 64 your PC is likely to be 127 if you reset the TTL to 65 on your PC they won't detect the tethering.

Archived