umweltzone stickers

geoff

Online using the following website :-

www.berlin.de/labo/kfz/dienstleistungen/feinstaubplakette.shop.en.php

Do NOT use

http://www.umwelt-plakette.de

The first is the official Berlin site and they will charge you 6 euros on your credit card.

The second is a commercial site offering a legitimate service to obtain the plakette for you but they will charge I think 40 euro.

You will need a scan (pdf file) of your V5 (registration document).

If you find that you get a "file too big message" you will have to compress it using WinZip. Other compression formats may not be acceptable. If you don't have/can't use WinZip you may need to use a tecchy friend. You can get WinZip on free trial.

I ordered mine online on 25th April and it was on my doorstep from Berlin on 28th April -Amazing !!

You may find your 2004 van only gets a yellow "Euro 3" sticker, which restricts where you can go in some cities - so in your case applying online in advance is probably a good idea.

(Normally I'd advise just picking one up at a garage, on the outskirts of the first city you visit, but you'll want to know in advance if you'll face any restrictions).

Thanks .

Any idea how the system works for Blue Badge holders, all Im finding are stock answers, and I cant find anyone with any experience of using one in umweltzone areas. As I see it I have to apply for exemption and pay €120 - doesnt seem right when its only €6 for a sticker ? ?

Guest Tracker

Sorry Geoff - I don't quite understand what a UK blue badge holder has to do with German pollution laws - unless you can prove that blue badge holder's farts are less life threatening than able bodied folk's farts!

geoff - 2012-05-09 12:44 PM

Thanks .

Any idea how the system works for Blue Badge holders, all Im finding are stock answers, and I cant find anyone with any experience of using one in umweltzone areas. As I see it I have to apply for exemption and pay €120 - doesnt seem right when its only €6 for a sticker ? ?

....a €6 plakette will only provide evidence of the emissions status of your vehicle, it will not necessarily provide unrestricted access; Indeed, many of the zones have now ramped their requirement up to "green" (and as mentioned above, you are likely to get a "yellow" plakette).

AIUI, your blue badge may provide certain privileges (such as disabled parking) but it will not, in itself, provide access into a zone for a vehicle that is non-compliant with the requirements of that zone (eg "yellow" into a "green" zone).

An exemption certiifcate (which is chargeable) is AIUI just that. It will allow (under strict conditions) the use of a non-compliant vehicle within a zone. The disabled examptions are aligned with German designated disabled passes (and appear to be restricted to certain acute categories) - whether they can be aligned with UK categorisation is beyond my knowledge. As they are essentially medium-term passes for residents, you may find it difficult to sort one out.

You should note that, if you are planning to use campsites or stellplätze within umwelt zones, there are sometimes exemptions, on defined routes, for access and egress. Whether you wish to rely on these will depend very much on whether you research in advance, how good your route-finding is, and, of course, how good your German is.

I appreciate I don't know the extent of any handicap, but German public transport is usually efficient and friendly, and often (if you understand the nature of the group and reduced tickets) cheap by UK standards. If you can use it at all for visiting centres, I would commend it.

Edit:

Having dusted off my German, I've reason to amend the above slightly (though the following is still only my understanding of the German rules as written).

The German disabled parking permit doesn't gain any concession in Umweltzones - the possession of a Schwerbehindertenausweis (a "Severely Handicapped" ID card) with one of three specific codes, does. In this case, no exemption certificate is required, the exemption is general and automatic (hence no fee). The parking permit which may also be issued to people does not appear to carry a code on the particular type of disability.

I can't find any information on the translation of UK documentation into this system, and suspect you will find it difficult to gain any concession.

Hello Tracker,

I seems that theres a lot of things you dont understand - but if you decided to play truant rather than go to school what do you expect ?

Anyway, for your enlightenment umwelt means environmental, not pollution, however I suppose that farts could come under both catergories.

I would'nt have thought that Blue farts are more dangerous than normal ones, I would think frequency and quantity would be more important than type but if this is a subject that interests you, you could always conduct some practical tests, there must be someone who would appreciate your findings.

Keep up the good work .

• 2 weeks later...

Sent off to the official site suggested by Hymer, €6 by Visa and got a yellow badge 3 days later - SIMPLES !

Why cant we be that efficient in this country ????

Thanks to everyone for the advice

I thought a Euro 3 sticker allowed you into London's LEZ (Crystal Palace etc.) so I sent Transport For London a copy of my Yellow Euro 3 sticker and they told me to b****r off (metaphorically). Have written to Boris to complain but I'm not hopeful of a reply!

stantheman - 2012-05-28 6:07 PM

I thought a Euro 3 sticker allowed you into London's LEZ (Crystal Palace etc.) so I sent Transport For London a copy of my Yellow Euro 3 sticker and they told me to b****r off (metaphorically). Have written to Boris to complain but I'm not hopeful of a reply!

Mike,

I believe it goes on your GVW as well as Euro rating and age. If you are over 3,500 kg then you need to be a Euro rating higher or something like that.

Our 2004 Euro 3 is over 3,500 kg GVW and is Non-Compliant so we won't be going to london as it will cost us £200 per day to be in the LEZ :-(

Keith.

PS Have you entered your reg number into the Tfl LEZ checker to be sure?

Thanks Keith

Yes I've checked my regn on TFL website and although under 3500 kg, it's overage (2001) and therefore non-compliant.

Still don't understand though why a Euro 3 umweltplakette isn't acknowledged as Euro 3 by London. When is a Euro 3 sticker not a Euro 3 sticker?!

I know I'm pushing my luck but it's worth a go.

stantheman - 2012-05-29 9:50 AM

Thanks Keith

Yes I've checked my regn on TFL website and although under 3500 kg, it's overage (2001) and therefore non-compliant.

Still don't understand though why a Euro 3 umweltplakette isn't acknowledged as Euro 3 by London. When is a Euro 3 sticker not a Euro 3 sticker?!

I know I'm pushing my luck but it's worth a go.

Mike,

According to the TfL website they say "If your vehicle was registered any time before 1 January 2002, it won't meet the Euro 3 emissions standards without modification..." so i don't know if they are prepared to argue that yours may be.

Do you have any documentary evidence that your MH is Euro 3 compliant other than your plakette? I can fully understand that they won't accept your plakette as it is only of legal significance in the country for which it was issued.

Keith.

Archived