Robbing pig dogs

nightrider

I sold a van that was surplus to requirements, phoned the insurence company to cancel the policy thinking I would get a rebate seeing as the policy did not expire till september, no chance the girl who dealt with me said they do not give rebates for a cancelled policy and charged me a 60 quid cancellation fee (!) (!) (!) she then came out with a long spiel that it is an offence to drive without insurence and the police data board would be informed that the policy had been cancelled and that if I did not pay the cancellation fee they would put the matter into the hands of their debt recovery people, robbing pigs.

Which company was this Malc?

I will be happy to check it out with our Gen Insurance guy.

You can make a complaint if they are not following the FSA's "Treating Customers Fairly" rules -and it sounds like they are not.

How diferent to the CC Insurance on our Cvan - we may be selling it and so I checked last month as it has just been renewed. They give a pro-rata daily rate rebate on a cancelled policy with a £10 admin fee for so doing.

Well the way I understand it you cannot have insurance on a vehicle you dont own therefore if you sell it you must cancell the insurance. Also there cannot be 2 seperate policies on one vehicle therefore if you were not to cancell when the new owner applies for insurance the system flags up that there already is insurance and you get a bill for the cancellation fee. You could hope that the vehicle does not sell before your policy expires I suppose it depends on how long the policy has to run.

Guest Tracker

If the policy has been in force for less than a year it is not unusual for insurance companies to apply what they euphemistically call 'short period rates' which often means that for a policy that has been in force for over 6 months no refund.

I don't know whether they can also charge you an admin fee for cancellation as well but any attempt to try that one on with me would lead to a letter to the company CEO.

Best advice is to READ the SMALL PRINT before cancelling and if it looks iffy just forget to cancel it.

Just think how much dosh we give to insurance companies over the course of a lifetime, when you think of car, life, buildings and contents, travel, pet, health etc it must run into literally £1000's and the prices keep going up >:-)

I'm coming back as an insurance company in the next life, it will be nice to be wealthy for a change! :-D

CliveH - 2012-05-10 8:09 AM

You can make a complaint if they are not following the FSA's "Treating Customers Fairly" rules -and it sounds like they are not.

How diferent to the CC Insurance on our Cvan - we may be selling it and so I checked last month as it has just been renewed. They give a pro-rata daily rate rebate on a cancelled policy with a £10 admin fee for so doing.

Hi Clive,

The broker I used was Autonet and the insurence company was Chaucer who apparantly dont give pro rata rebates, I phoned autonet again this morning voicing my discontent and quoting what you said above, low and behold Autonet quashed their cancellation fee.

So in effect this morning you saved me £60 for which I am grateful for, which takes me back to my earlier post to Antony about baiting fellow members, there are many members on here with diverse skills and expertise that can save you pounds if you use your noggin in the respectful way.

Once again thank you.

knight of the road - 2012-05-10 8:34 PM

CliveH - 2012-05-10 8:09 AM

Hi Clive,

The broker I used was Autonet and the insurence company was Chaucer who apparantly dont give pro rata rebates, I phoned autonet again this morning voicing my discontent and quoting what you said above, low and behold Autonet quashed their cancellation fee.

So in effect this morning you saved me £60 for which I am grateful for, which takes me back to my earlier post to Antony about baiting fellow members, there are many members on here with diverse skills and expertise that can save you pounds if you use your noggin in the respectful way.

Once again thank you.

My pleasure Malc

Mines a pint (lol)

Archived