Replacing Motorhome Tyres

snowbird

I am wanting to replace my van tyres.Currently I have Mitchelin XC camping fitted,size 215/75 16.Fiat now seem to fit 225"s ,both continental vanco & mitchelin agilis.On pricing these tyres 225"s are coming out cheaper than 215"s,I think because 225"s are more readily available.I would like to fit the wider tyres to give me a greater load rating as I have had the van uprated.My query is would the slight increase in the profile(75% of the increased width ie 7.5mm)cause any problems with the speedo reading.Also my spare has never been used and has been in the garage of the van from new, so would this be ok to use if I were to fit the bigger tyres.

Assuming it's a Fiat you have the chances are it'll make the speedo reading slightly more accurate.

It would help to know what you have and how old the spare tyre is regarding the other bit.

Without that info my own view would be that It'd probably be OK to use as a spare to limp to somewhere for a proper fix.

snowbird - 2012-05-10 4:06 PM

I am wanting to replace my van tyres.Currently I have Mitchelin XC camping fitted,size 215/75 16.Fiat now seem to fit 225"s ,both continental vanco & mitchelin agilis.On pricing these tyres 225"s are coming out cheaper than 215"s,I think because 225"s are more readily available.I would like to fit the wider tyres to give me a greater load rating as I have had the van uprated.My query is would the slight increase in the profile(75% of the increased width ie 7.5mm)cause any problems with the speedo reading.Also my spare has never been used and has been in the garage of the van from new, so would this be ok to use if I were to fit the bigger tyres.

Rather than coming on here and getting answers that are either guesswork of what someone has tried to look up on the internet would it not be better to telphone Fiat customer services who are pretty helpfull these days.

rupert123 - 2012-05-10 5:12 PM

Rather than coming on here and getting answers that are either guesswork of what someone has tried to look up on the internet would it not be better to telphone Fiat customer services who are pretty helpfull these days.

rupert123 - 2012-05-10 5:12 PM

Snowbird, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of experience on this forum, someone may know the answer so hang on for a couple of days. Alternatively give Fiat a ring, they may be able to help or visit the local dealer.

Be careful with a spare tyre and check the age of it before using it if its been left unused for a few years. If its approaching 7 years think about renewing it too.

If you do use your spare I believe it would bw illegal, you must not mix different tyre sizes on the same axle. The only exception I know of is the use of a spacesaver spare and that is only with certain restrictions.

Bas

I don't think it's illegal but would happily stand corrected on that one. It is, I think, a reason for MoT rejection and could play havoc with ABS / ESP / any other electronically controlled drivetrain system though. 

I wouldn't do it myself, except as a space-saver substitute just to get to a garage.

Seems the OP may have lost interest anyway, can't really blame them.

As you say, if you swap from a 215/75 R16 tyre to a 225/75 R16, your speedometer's reading will be slightly affected - though not, I believe, enough to matter. What MIGHT matter however, is whether the (albeit small) increase in width and consequential diameter results in clearance problems within your motorhome's wheel arches or for suspension/braking components.

If you just wanted a tyre with a heavier load-carrying capacity, you might be better (though perhaps not financially!) staying with the 215/75 R16 size but opting for a '10-ply-rated' tyre with a 116 load index rather than the 113 index of your present XC Camping tyres. Continental's VancoCamper is an example, but there are other (non campimng-car tyre) alternatives. That way, you'll get the higher load rating you are looking for, but your speedometer won't be affected and there'd be no clearance potential problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Update on my tyre replacement.In the end I decided to stick with my origonal size,and got a reasonable deal on Mitchelin Agilis Camping tyres.These were fresh stock date stamped week 14 this year.Thanks to all who replied with helpfull info.Snowbird.

Archived