Buying euro`s

Mickydripin

Dont think the prefix codes are correct as we have a fair amount of unused Greek Euros which have all different prefixes. We were off to Europe this weekend to spend our Euros before the next round of Greek elections but due to ill health have got to stay here. Anybody want to buy some Greek Euros :-D

Petra - 2012-05-23 3:57 PM

Dont think the prefix codes are correct as we have a fair amount of unused Greek Euros which have all different prefixes. We were off to Europe this weekend to spend our Euros before the next round of Greek elections but due to ill health have got to stay here. Anybody want to buy some Greek Euros :-D

Euros are Euros wherever they are bought or printed. Can be used anywhere in Euroland, just have a look at the coins, they originated from different Euro Countries.

Hi All I dithered a bit when the exchange rate was 1.25 and waited for it to go higher and look what happend it dropped like a stone on wednesday/Thursday so I thought that I would wait for a week to see if it went up again things have stablised a bit.

I know I was taking a gamble so today I jumped in as all and sundry was saying it was on its way down.

I looked around and the best price I could get today was 1.21.5 I got 1.215 euro`s for a thousand pounds.

I got them from Thompsons the travel agents I looked around the town and they were the best so thanks everyone for your advice.

Very interesting that-never knew it changed geographically!

As a point of interest, loaded up my Caxton card today and got 1.22 euros to the £. Went round to local PO to get some readies to get started with and up to £500 the rate was 1.15 to the pound-over £500 1.17 wow!

Don't think I'll bother-just use the remains of last years and then use the card when we pass an atm in Calais

Mike

Just got our Nationwide credit card statement and the exchange rate on 23 April was 1.219 euros to the £, on 17 May we got 1.249 euros to the £, so unless we need to have 'cash' for which we will carry a small amount and load up our Caxton card, we'll stick to using the credit card.

Guest JudgeMental
we use our nationwide cards and bring a lump of euros in cash (place at Victoria does excellent rates if you order) Not had statement covering Spanish trip yet.....

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

In fairness the Halifax Clarity card only charge just over 12% pa interest on cash withdrawals which if you set it up to settle every month only works out to around 1% which some charge more than that just for the withdrawal fee alone.

I hope I have it correct as I'm still waiting for my next bill that will have our recent trip to Germany on it

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-22 8:02 AM

Credit cards that charge no fee or currency exchange-rate loading are rare nowadays. Even the few that charge no fee/loading (eg Halifax "Clarity" or Santander "Zero") will charge interest on cash obtained from an ATM from the date of the withdrawal until the date the debt is repaid.

braunston - 2012-06-03 7:35 PM

HI,

In fairness the Halifax Clarity card only charge just over 12% pa interest on cash withdrawals which if you set it up to settle every month only works out to around 1% which some charge more than that just for the withdrawal fee alone.

I hope I have it correct as I'm still waiting for my next bill that will have our recent trip to Germany on it

I'm sure what you say is correct and, if you carry out the cash withdrawal so that the date the transaction gets recorded on your Clarity account is just before the account's settlement date, the related interest charge should be minimal.

If ever there was a thread which proves without doubt, that "one size does NOT fit all", this is it.

Cash, pre loaded cards, credit cards, debit cards goodness knows what else, they're all in there.

Use what suits is my advice, and if you don't know what it is yet, then suck a few and see. You don't HAVE to stick with doesn't work for you do you?

Martyn

Archived