Black country museum

nightrider

Guest Peter James

Yes, its Good. As with Beamish, get there when they open as its worth at least a day. Particularly memorable was watching the blacksmith (a friend of Fred Dibnah) making chains, and also the canal trip into the tunnel. Only downside was the huge queue for the fish and chip shop as they are restricted by the size of their frying pan, so went back to the van in the car park for lunch.

PS: Swindon is very good too. Once the Greatest Railway Engineering Works in the World, directly employing over 14,000 people. Thatcher turned it into a shopping centre and offices. But there is a great museum in one of the buildings now thats well worth as visit. Even the shopping centre alongside is worth seeing as its in an original building with some of the original cranes etc still inside.

It's brilliant. The only grumble we had when we first went was that you could see the modern double deckers on the main streets outside. I think they are all single deckers now and unobtrusive because we've never seen them on subsequent visits. It is a fabulous place. I prefer it ti Beamish because it feels more like a homely museum.

You will have a great time amongst wonderfully warm people.

Anything to do with our industrial heritage is at the top of my want to see list, how come we as a major manufacturing country have ended up as we are today?

I've just finished reading a book about Fred Dibnah, such a shame that he ended up so bitter because his life was cut short when he contracted cancer and he died before he could really finish what he started.

Peter James - 2012-05-18 11:16 AM

Yes, its Good. As with Beamish, get there when they open as its worth at least a day. Particularly memorable was watching the blacksmith (a friend of Fred Dibnah) making chains, and also the canal trip into the tunnel. Only downside was the huge queue for the fish and chip shop as they are restricted by the size of their frying pan, so went back to the van in the car park for lunch.

PS: Swindon is very good too. Once the Greatest Railway Engineering Works in the World, directly employing over 14,000 people. Thatcher turned it into a shopping centre and offices. But there is a great museum in one of the buildings now thats well worth as visit. Even the shopping centre alongside is worth seeing as its in an original building with some of the original cranes etc still inside.

The fish and chips fried at the BlackCountry Museum were fried in beef dripping, I didnt hear anyone complaining about their cholesterol.

I met Fred several times when I worked in Bolton in 86-90. His off-screen behaviours came from a bygone age and to be honest, that's where they should remain. Life had moved on, he hadn't. On screen, he was great because they tempered his mannerisms so he came across as charming and witty. He also knew his stuff in life and on screen whether it was engineering or steeplejack.

Malcolm, whilst our manufacturing capacity has dwindled, I prefer to think our industrial heritage is based on our inventiveness and we still hold our own in this area. We have some phenomenal engineers, research & development programmes, and design studios. We're not done for yet!

Guest Peter James
knight of the road - 2012-05-19 1:55 PM

how come we as a major manufacturing country have ended up as we are today?

The Government made it more profitable to invest in buy to let than in productive industry.

Dyson gave up and moved to Taiwan because Wiltshire County Council refused planning permission for his factory extension.

Archived