Aldi offers Sunday 13th May

Keithl

Hi All,

I've just seen the list of special buys on offer at Aldi this Sunday... Link.

They include a portable satellite system for £59.99, seat covers, fire extinguisher, alternator tester (very handy as an emergency voltage tester), double caravan step and loads more useful stuff.

Check it out!

Keith.

Hi, bought their sattelite system and it has worked well to south of France, and of course in the UK. Still use their system, although with a 1m dish further south. Currently 100 miles south of Barco at Vinaros and I have kept the wife happy with her soaps. I even get a few good boy points which I can redeem on the odd occasion.

In my opinion a good buy especially if it comes with their normal 3-year warrenty.

mike

I like the idea of that tripple cigar lighter socket adaptor. I could use this when on the move to charge thte laptop, mobile phone nad run the sat nav all at the same time. Assuming it wont overload the battery but it should be ok if the engine is running.

Thanks

Is it posssible to buy the system and just use the box to put with our home tv that has sattelite dish connected already. Just wondering as maybe could get rid of sky then???? Especially as its HD box

chris

I have both the satelite system and the hitch lock and would recommend both. I bought the satelite system just for the receiver which is mounted permanently in the van. You can use the receiver as is but you will loose some programmes available on the basic Skye package. It only does free to air so you do not get the "Freesat" stations. It will take a card if you wish to buy one over the internet. Hope this helps.

Carl

chris - 2012-05-12 9:40 AM

Is it posssible to buy the system and just use the box to put with our home tv that has sattelite dish connected already. Just wondering as maybe could get rid of sky then???? Especially as its HD box

chris

'Gettting rid of Sky' is as easy as phoning them up and cancelling (provided that you have been a subscriber for more than a year).

Your card will then lose it's package status and you will revert to a basic Free To View range of channels.

The dish and box are yours from the day you got them, there is no need to change dish or receiver etc and this would make no difference anyway.

Last year i bought one of these suitcase satellite systems fro B&Q and could never get it to work. Even on site, when some helpful guy who had used sattelite systems for years couldn't get it to work - even using half of his equipment.

Like a fool i decided to try one of the Aldi systems. Bought it this morning and plonked the dish on my windowsill at home and connected it up. Set the dish in the general direction that the ones on the local houses were set to and swithced on...

Hundreds of channels immediately! Fantastic piece of kit. The receiver is tiny, which makes it ideal for the motorhome.

Beed to dig out the B&Q recipt now!

Sorry for the delay in replying been off. "Freesat" is not the same as satelite box which gives you the free satellite channels I don't think. I believe there are a few UK channels that are only available with a specific "Freesat" box - think it might include Channel 4. Can't remember what the others are. Suggest you do a search for freesat and compare with free satellite channels>

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ChrisB

Bought one of the Ross HD DVB-S2 1201 kits from Aldi yesterday.

Although I have "home" based satellite receivers (Sky then Freesat HD) I have no idea how they work. The only setting I had to put into the Freesat box was my postcode!

Plugged the Ross receiver into my home dish and TV for testing and have been overwhelmed by the number of channels available on the default "Astra" setting.

Next step is to try to get the dish supplied working outside - probably use the sucker foot to connect so a S facing window. It's better to make an idiot of yourself in the privacy of your home rather than in full view of everyone on the campsite!

I bought the kit for use in the UK and France. Don't intend to go further south than Bordeaux.

A couple of questions for the regular users amongst you ...

Besites the Astra 2A "cluster" which other satellites can I try to tune in with English Language channels?

Is there an Internet site which I can go to download/print technical details such as direction and elevation (is that the correct term)? Incidentally when a satellite position is given as 145deg is this true or magnetic (using my old orienteering compass here!

Finally ...

The LNB on my home Freesat dish (professionally installed) is not alighned vertically but at an angle of around 15deg clockwise when viewed from behind. Will this necessary on the mobile dish?

Thanks

Wanderbirds - 2012-05-14 4:51 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying been off. "Freesat" is not the same as satelite box which gives you the free satellite channels I don't think. I believe there are a few UK channels that are only available with a specific "Freesat" box - think it might include Channel 4. Can't remember what the others are. Suggest you do a search for freesat and compare with free satellite channels>

Carl

'Freesat' is only the epg, unless it's 'freesat from sky' (don't they just love to confuse) all the 'Freesat' channels are availible on any fta (free to air) system plus some others.

ChrisB - 2012-05-23 11:17 AM

Bought one of the Ross HD DVB-S2 1201 kits from Aldi yesterday.

Although I have "home" based satellite receivers (Sky then Freesat HD) I have no idea how they work. The only setting I had to put into the Freesat box was my postcode!

Plugged the Ross receiver into my home dish and TV for testing and have been overwhelmed by the number of channels available on the default "Astra" setting.

Next step is to try to get the dish supplied working outside - probably use the sucker foot to connect so a S facing window. It's better to make an idiot of yourself in the privacy of your home rather than in full view of everyone on the campsite!

I bought the kit for use in the UK and France. Don't intend to go further south than Bordeaux.

A couple of questions for the regular users amongst you ...

Besites the Astra 2A "cluster" which other satellites can I try to tune in with English Language channels?

Is there an Internet site which I can go to download/print technical details such as direction and elevation (is that the correct term)? Incidentally when a satellite position is given as 145deg is this true or magnetic (using my old orienteering compass here!

Finally ...

The LNB on my home Freesat dish (professionally installed) is not alighned vertically but at an angle of around 15deg clockwise when viewed from behind. Will this necessary on the mobile dish?

Thanks

Proboly best you go to http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ for a good read, this will give you a good guide.

The 'satellite position' is it's orbital position, if you are in UK on 0deg this will roughly equate to magnetic position in most intantces but as you stray from 0deg and/or head further south it becomes less relavant, some companies have charts which can be helpfull or if you have an internet conection you can use http://www.dishpointer.com/

The LNB may need to be rotated dependant on your position.

Guest ChrisB

Colin

Thanks for the great links - will answer all of my questions, and some I haven't considered.

I'm impressed by the picture quality in such a small (12v) receiver. Nice day to try to set it up with my portable TV and the disk/LNB provided. Steep learning curve...

Chris

Archived