New camper essentials

Bex

We're about to purchase a van conversion camper and we've been offered prices at cost on habitation equip so I'm wondering what are the essentials that we should have on our list. I'm not thinking of crockery etc but more things that we need to run the van e.g. batteries etc

Thanks

DIY or Pro?

If Pro then a bargain, if DIY - depends.

Do you have a loo/shower?

hot water?

Oven/Hob?

Heating?

Any gas?

Any mains?

Any 12v?

With the above you need fridge, hob/grill, pump, toilet, sink, shower, control panel, 12v batteries, 240v consumer RCD unit, 240v charger, lights, heating, hot water system, fresh/waste tanks, etc. Also when you take insulation, windows, furniture, swivel seats etc - its a huuuuuuuge list and not easy to give assistance over the web.

DIY conversions are generally a LOT cheaper than pro ones, and for many there is a reason. Depends what you want, can live with, are happy with etc.

If you can be more specific on your question then do post.

activecampers - 2012-05-11 6:34 PM

DIY or Pro?

If Pro then a bargain, if DIY - depends.

Do you have a loo/shower?

hot water?

Oven/Hob?

Heating?

Any gas?

Any mains?

Any 12v?

With the above you need fridge, hob/grill, pump, toilet, sink, shower, control panel, 12v batteries, 240v consumer RCD unit, 240v charger, lights, heating, hot water system, fresh/waste tanks, etc. Also when you take insulation, windows, furniture, swivel seats etc - its a huuuuuuuge list and not easy to give assistance over the web.

DIY conversions are generally a LOT cheaper than pro ones, and for many there is a reason. Depends what you want, can live with, are happy with etc.

If you can be more specific on your question then do post.

Thanks for replying... It's a new Autocruise Jazz via a dealer with fridge, oven, cassette toilet, sink, shower - I guess the half-decent basics. I was thinking about things like should we carry around a spare battery, does it need a charger - that kind of thing. I want to sound like I vaguely know what I'm talking about!

Those should all be part of package

Things you should be looking at are hookup cable, water hose etc. Good place to compare if your getting a good deal is to check towsure.

p.s. I'm guessing you are completely new at this, for ourselves we know the 'type' of camping we do so could spec van to suit, i.e. solar panel, tv, towbar etc

colin - 2012-05-11 6:51 PM

Things you should be looking at are hookup cable, water hose etc. Good place to compare if your getting a good deal is to check towsure.

p.s. I'm guessing you are completely new at this, for ourselves we know the 'type' of camping we do so could spec van to suit, i.e. solar panel, tv, towbar etc

Thank you! Really helpful - yes... we're tent campers!

Bex - 2012-05-11 8:18 PM

So where we some years back, still use our kettle from camping days, must be 30 odd years old.

I'm sure you will get better advice than mine, I'm useless at making lists, others seem much more organised.

As you've no motorhome or caravan background, I strongly suggest you invest in John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (3rd edition)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcaravan-Manual-Choosing-Using-Maintaining/dp/0857331248/ref=pd_sim_b_1

We came directly from tent camping to a motorhome and found that all the essentials were standard with the van.

I'd agree with Derek that John Wickershams book is good investment for anyone new to motorhomes.

Reading that will resolve most of your questions - and any that you still have, can, no doubt, be resolved on here.

Good luck with the purchase.

;-)

Not sure how uyou are going to purchase that van (which is a branded van) at cost + habitation equipment.

If you mean you've seen it at a dealer, and he is selling you the van for X then any extras for Y, then pretty much my list is all included. Batteries and charger should be included etc.

All you then need is a kettle, plates/cups/wine glasses

Loo roll/brush/chemicals

Ligjher for gas (maybe) - gas bottle (maybe)

Hookup lead

water hose & attachents (see http://www.doyourdream.co.uk/2010/08/tips-getting-fresh-water-and-dealing-with-waste/ )

Ramps (maybe)

Bedding

Then just go for a day or two and see what is missing

It looks like an Autocruise Jazz SHOULD come with a 25-metre hook-up lead and a TV aerial as standard.

A gas-bottle will certainly be needed and (hopefully) the motorhome dealer will provide one free of charge. Whether it will be a good idea to purchase from the dealer the other things activecampers mentions (and that will be required at some stage) will really depend on what is being offered and at what price.

I notice that there's a 2010 Jazz review here:

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/uploads/Reviews/Autocruise/PMHMar-10Live-In.pdf

Wow! Thank you all - this was all really helpful. We've taken the plunge and used lots of your recommendations to get a good deal with extras (plus the book which was half price on Amazon - great tip!).

Thanks very much indeed. Whoop! Whoop!

tonyishuk, thank you for your listings. I have started several times to create one (or more) and given up. You have produced one which may not be everyones requirements but by hell it goes a long way to assisting in preparing ones own. As for the original poster, I am sure you will have got a wealth of information, much of which you would never have thought of. The bottom line is ask for the earth and be grateful for what you end up with, assuming you get something. good luck and happy travels.

Art

A word of caution, regarding what to carry in your new motorhome. Please don't forget the payload.

It isn't unknown for even experienced motorhomers to exceed the maximum weight limits.

Other contributors to this thread may have a much larger payload than you have, so can obviously carry more weight.

As exprerienced campers yourselves, you will already know what you consider essential, so my advice would be to only go for what you actually need, at first, until you become more familiar with the change to a motorhome.

For example, having made the same change as you, many years ago, I was used to pitching my tent on uneven ground, as a result, I have never found the need for levelling blocks, in our camper van.

Also, we still haven't required solar panels, even though we regularly watch TV.

A lot depends on how you personally use your van. It's so easy to buy things that aren't really needed.I know, for I have wasted an awful lot of money that way. It all seemed like a good idea, at the time.

There are other downsides to having too much weight, including the long term effect on tyres etc, and, of course, additional fuel consumption.

Enjoy your new mode of camping, as I'm sure you will, but don't rush into buying extra's.

Archived