One Year On...

Bolly1965

Well it's one year since we bought our first motorhome, a Herald Valencia. I have towed caravans in the past but hated that experience, so decided to buy a van and see if we liked that any better.

The Herald has been great. I wanted a U-shaped rear lounge that converted into a large bed and that's exactly what we got. There is an over cab bed which we never use - apart from storing duvets etc in the daytime.

However, I'm an early riser and the OH isn't therefore we decided to look at motorhomes with fixed beds, so I could get up and make a brew and have somewhere to sit without disturbing the OH.

OK, so are 'French' beds are built for Fremch people? they must be very small! I'm over 6" and erm portly... So the French bed is out. Next onto the fixed island beds - even smaller! I also decided that if a fixed bed isn't over a garage it's a vast waste of space. and we'd never use a garage either.

My final option is an end U-shaped lounge area, that can be left made up as a bed if desired, or utilised if we had friends over, and a central dinette, so I can have my morning brew. The other thing we'd like is a washroom with a separate shower, with enough headroom that I can actually stan up. Decent sized fridge with separate freezer and a little more kitchen workspace, so we have somewhere to stand an electric kettle. I would like to keep under 24' (7m) long then I can, at a push, get it on the drive.

The only Motorhome that seems to fit our requirements is an Autotrail Scout SE. Does anyone know of any alternatives? Any Scout owners who can let me know what they think of the van?

Thanks

We had a similar problem to yourselves. Our first motorhome had a fixed bed with a washroom/shower at the side of it, the bed was quite narrow and the double dinette wasn't long enough to make into a double bed. We then bought a van that had a bit larger fixed bed, again the washroom was at the side but this one was larger, we had an L shaped lounge and we used that as a second double bed but it was not ideal, I had the fixed bed and the other half had the L shaped bed because he again was an earlier riser than me but then there was nowhere to put the bedding until I got up. We have now got a van that suits us fine, it has a sitting area, a kitchen area with large fridge freezer, twin singles which you can close off from the rest of the van and a full width washroom with separate shower. The only problem is that it comes in at about 7.1m.

Hope you get sorted.

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-12 1:41 PM

Well it's one year since we bought our first motorhome, a Herald Valencia. I have towed caravans in the past but hated that experience, so decided to buy a van and see if we liked that any better.

The Herald has been great. I wanted a U-shaped rear lounge that converted into a large bed and that's exactly what we got. There is an over cab bed which we never use - apart from storing duvets etc in the daytime.

However, I'm an early riser and the OH isn't therefore we decided to look at motorhomes with fixed beds, so I could get up and make a brew and have somewhere to sit without disturbing the OH.

OK, so are 'French' beds are built for Fremch people? they must be very small! I'm over 6" and erm portly... So the French bed is out. Next onto the fixed island beds - even smaller! I also decided that if a fixed bed isn't over a garage it's a vast waste of space. and we'd never use a garage either.

My final option is an end U-shaped lounge area, that can be left made up as a bed if desired, or utilised if we had friends over, and a central dinette, so I can have my morning brew. The other thing we'd like is a washroom with a separate shower, with enough headroom that I can actually stan up. Decent sized fridge with separate freezer and a little more kitchen workspace, so we have somewhere to stand an electric kettle. I would like to keep under 24' (7m) long then I can, at a push, get it on the drive.

The only Motorhome that seems to fit our requirements is an Autotrail Scout SE. Does anyone know of any alternatives? Any Scout owners who can let me know what they think of the van?

Thanks

Hi bolly I think you will find the A/T Scout is nearly 8m long

I suspect you wouldn't like our van, but it meets a number of your requirements, and was choosen for much the same reasons ,only it's gf who is the early riser.

Front dinette, 6ft6in x 6ft 'fixed' bed, large shower, 6.36m long. Where it falls short of your requirements is on fridge/freezer and galley space.

I ruled out on the French bed based on the vans we've been looking at - they all seem tiny. I quite like the idea of the fixed singles but again - if it was a U shaped louge we could use it as a fixed bed or as a lounge - i like lounging about.

Yeah I realise now the Scout may be too long.

Which motorhomes do you have Colin / Lenny?

I'm open to any suggestions

Most U-shaped lounge models (of not too long a length) have little other lounging space and one early riser may find themselves with only cab seats for perching.

The advantages of twin singles at the rear are -

1) one sleeper can rise without disturbing the other

2) there will be a lounge at the front of the vehicle usually incorporating the cab seats

3) the beds are usually a good size, long and wide

4) there is usually a garage or large space under the beds, great for stuff that can live there, freeing up other space insid ethe van

5) no need to store bedding, it lives on the beds!

Incidently, we have a French bed model. We are not long or wide (!!!) so the bed is fine for both of us ;-) :-D

Hi Tony (Bolly)

The Autocruise Agusta meets all you needs ither than length.

This one on the link is sold, but it gives the floorplan. Also older models are available.

http://www.becksmotorhomes.com/vehicle/2009-autocruise-augusta

Or a 2011 model for sale here:-

http://www.camperuk.co.uk/Used/Campervans_Motorhomes/Used_Motorhomes_and_Campervans.html

If looking for new IIRC, Swift;s have produced this layout on one of the Bessacarr E500 series.

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-12 10:43 PM

We actually looked at the Autocruise Agusta today - OH didn't like the wardrobes suspended of the foot of the bed! Otherwide we really liked it

Thanks Martyn - silly me!

Our wardrobes are suspended at the ends of the beds and they don't get in the way at all and because each bed has its own wardrobe it makes life a lot easier.

The Bessacarr looks to have more space between the matress and the bottom of the wardrobes. I really like the twin couch seating area - at least it makes best use of the swivel seats. Its amazing how many vans Ive seen where the swivel seats were pointless due to the rest of the seating arrangements.

Bolly1965 - 2012-05-12 7:47 PM

I ruled out on the French bed based on the vans we've been looking at - they all seem tiny. I quite like the idea of the fixed singles but again - if it was a U shaped louge we could use it as a fixed bed or as a lounge - i like lounging about.

Yeah I realise now the Scout may be too long.

Which motorhomes do you have Colin / Lenny?

I'm open to any suggestions

Hymer Tramp T654 SL Gold Edition

Archived