Our new van

kevandali

I have told the world about our new van so now it's your turn :-D Well, where to start. The Swift Kontiki 640L is safely parked on our drive having negotiated the A1, A66 and the A595 back to sunny Cumbria. We picked it up on the Saturday morning and scrounged a free dinner as it was gone half past twelve by the time we left. I managed to get the gas on and top up the water tank and prime the boiler before we set off but also managed to get water everywhere as I forgot to put a bung in the boiler outlet thingy (technical term) We grinned like a pair of village idiots, all the way back to our daughter’s house in Edwinstowe. :-D :-D I never truly realised how big it actually looks when it is stood on its own, but a lot easier to drive than I thought. There are a thousand questions buzzing around my head at the moment, from what sort of multitude of water connections will I need to carry for France, to the best places in Brittany to go. I will read as many past posts as I can and then get my questions into some sort of order (bet you can't wait :-D ) We did learn the hard way, not to use your tank water to make a cuppa. (27, number of waves from Nottinghamshire to Cumbria)

We are in the same position having collected our Knaus Sun Ti 650 ME two weekends ago and having just had our first weekend away at a small CL near Holt - Norfolk. I was always sceptical about the need for levellers but now I see why!! The 'van had to be turned around so that the shower water could flow down the plugholes rather than all over the toilet floor! We are learning!

Kevandali. Congratulations on your new van. Surely if the Dealer had given you a PDI demonstration on picking up the van the bung should have been in the boiler. As you would have had water in the tank from PDI. It sounds as if you need to flush out the water system if the water tasted, and spoilt your cuppa. We use our on board tank all the time. If we are travelling a long distance we do not fill the tank but carry a few litres of water in a container, this saves lugging unessecary weight around. I have found that the normal screw type hose fitting used over here usualy workd in France. Lots of site in Brittany, but depends when you are going as to how busy. Dont forget the French go on Holiday for all of August, and normaly head for the coasts. You were lucky with the waves people dont seem to do it now. We have given up waving. Good luck David

Hi Kevandali, Long time no see Hi Kevandali, Long time no see! Water fittings in Brittany similar to our own screw fittings of various sizes. We can recommend the Les Castilles chain site at Quimper - L'Orangerie de llaniron where we had permanent water coupling to all sites, and very large pitches. Liz & Ken (Border CC)

Hi, we have just come back from 5 weeks in France and we found that most people waved, French Germans, Dutch and the Italians it appeared the only ones that didn't bother appeared to be the British ?? keep waving it makes you feel you are with like minded friends who hopefully may help if you have problems ?? Moterhomes should stick together ??

Archived