Van change advise

flicka

Our purchase of the customised Ezetow trailer (with box for wife's wheelchair) has unfortunately fallen through, due to the poor health of Peter @ Exetow

Using a conventional Trailer will make us too long for convienient parking in towns, etc., so we are exploring a change of Motorhome to a large Garage model.

Currently have our Autocruise Sportstar, but the wheelchair has to be dis-assembled to go in it's garage.

I've found many of the Garage model Vans have big doors but the interior space is restricted by fixed equipment protruding into the garage space.

Exploring 2 models ATM.

Burstner Travel Van T620G (6.6m) & Autocruise Starblazer LG.(7.4m)

Does anyone with these models, have any good / bad points to offer.

Garage Doors & interior space needs to be minimum 75cm wide x 75cm high,(bigger even better.)

Transverse Double or Twin Single Beds, over Garage.

We would really like to keep below 7m overall length, if we can.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Guest JudgeMental
I saw a van with a ezetow thingy negotiating speed bumps in Spain at about 4 mph to the consternation of other motorists..I thing a van with garage a far more sensible idea Flicka

That surprises me, Eddie.

Having seen the Ezetow towed when empty, it was still very stable even at speed.

Could what you saw have been the Easi-lifter Hydra Trail.

That has no suspension at the wheels, relying on a pantograph arrangement between the tow ball & trailer ?

Such a disappointment that Peter (Exetow) is unable to continue, due to his ill health & we can only wish him all the very best. He is one of life's natural Engineers' of the old school.

Although it will be too late for us, hopefully he may be able to sell his design & patterns, for someone else to take up the manufacture & secure some future for his family.

Hi Lenny

We had not really considered or looked at "A" Class vans, concentrating on Low Profiles.

We definately don't want an Overcab Coachbuilt or a PVC.

Their appears to be a few Exsis-i 562 on the Ford chassis, which look like they may be of interest.

(Will have to have a look & measure up the garage.) but I don't seem to be able to find any on the Fiat chassis. Are you aware of any (in the UK) ?

Guest JudgeMental
unless they have rcently changed they have always been on Ford chassis. The payloads are really good!

The Exis-I range has always been built on the Ford chassis only (unlike the previous Exis range).

Similar layouts have been (are) available in the Hymer "van" range, also on the Ford chassis, but low-profile, not A-class (and, as I'm unimpressed with the overcab bed in the A-class, I'd be more inclined to go for one of these).

Unfortunately, according to my archives, the door size on the 562 (Van or Exis-I) is 70x102, so not quite big enough.

Don't overlook the Ford chassis, I like it (and the better level of service from the local Ford garage!).

The Hobby "van" range generally have uncluttered garages. My own has a door which opens upwards, and would be just about the right width for you (plenty of height), but is unfortunately obstructed widthways by gas struts - a modification might be possible, but not easy. The current range is somewhat pruned, and the specifications indicate that the door apertures on all are generally not wide enough.

I think you are going to be confined to a small number of options, as the door aperture-width you need is quite large when compared to market offerings.

Edit: Typo

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-15 9:17 AM

Exsis-i is now available on Fiat as well as Ford chassis.

http://www.hymer.com/Presse2012/HYMER_PK_260811/Press_release_GB/HYMER_premiere_Exsis-i_Fiat_GB.pdf

http://www.hymer.com/cms/en/motorhomes.html

.....yes, I noticed that after I'd gone through my own archive, and then went to the Hymer website. :-(

The models have changed quite dramatically for 2012 as well.

Thanks for all the info so far, please keep it coming.

One of the reasons for leaving "A" class vans out of consideration, was the dropdown cab bed being surplus to requirements.

I will explore Robinhood's comments on the Hymer Low Profile We would have to see if the wheelchair would catch door hinges / retainers or not @ 70cm.

Will also have a look at the Hobby's, as small restriction at top of door should be OK. (wheelchair seat width is less than wheelbase width.)

We don't mind a change to Ford chassis, currently running the Peugeot base & our Ford/Peugeot dealer much more local than nearest Fiat dealer.(& a better reputation)

Guest JudgeMental
You dont have to have the drop down bed, have seen secondhand ones on Mobile.de without the bed...I mentioned this before, but its worth saying again I think, the payload on these vans is exceptional.

The Fiat based Exsis with an Al-Ko chassis was released last August with 3 models now been increased to 5 models and they are selling well. I think you can order any Hymer B class (A class) with lockers instead of the drop down bed they just don't list it.

The Fiat one has much better layouts than the Ford ones, Ford ones are very narrow between the galley & washroom.

I don't think any have been imported to the UK but it's just as easy to buy on the continent.

Exsis-i Fiat Brochure

Exsis-i Fiat Price List

Campirama in Belgium had 3 or 4 in stock when I was there a few weeks ago, O/H won't let me spend the money otherwise I might have come home with one.

Well, all I appear to be doing is eliminating possible Vans, although we will visit a few dealers tomorrow, armed with a tape measure to check Garage door diminsions on some potential alternatives.

As Robinhood suggested the Hobby's have too narrow Garage Doors & I hadn't realised how low the support struts came, so modification would be difficult.

The Hymer Exsis i range (578 & 644 = most suited) on the Fiat chassis, would have to be a factory order, for RHD & without the drop down front bed, so possibly not available for delivery before end of summer. Also the Hymer price list @EUR63k put them at the same price as the Hymer Exsis i562's on the Ford chassis, currently available in the UK @ £50k.

Currently still with the 2 originally identified options, the Autocruise Starblazer would be my preference, except for it's overall length. Quite a jump from our 6.0m to 7.4m, or do you think I am being too cautious.

The Burstner Travel Van 620 @ 6.60m so not much of a differential.

What are the opinions of other owners with 7.4 vans (or thereabouts), regarding parking in towns, at tourist attractions, etc.?

Are they too big or do you manage OK ?

If 7.0/7.5m is feasible, I think it will broaden our options considerably.

Burstners are generally as good as it gets in terms of build quality in mainstream 'vans and if the garage / doors are adequate then there seems little reason not to go for it - unless there's something about the Travel Van that doesn't suit.

I think the length 'problem' depends hugely on use. It's not so much accommodating the length at the destination, more being able to get there in the first place. On tiny roads 7+ meters is getting a little unwieldy in my view, especially if U-turns are required.

Going from 7 x 2.30m to 6 x 2.12m made a big difference for us. The smaller 'van would go literally anywhere, the larger one had us choosing routes with caution and simply not attempting some tricky looking roads.

But, if tiny roads are rarely encountered then 7 / 7.5m isn't so bad and not usually a huge issue in car parks. I suppose though that more room than usual will often be required to deal with the wheelchair so the extra length may bite you in that way on occasions.

Burstner!

flicka - 2012-05-15 11:22 PM

The Hymer Exsis i range (578 & 644 = most suited) on the Fiat chassis, would have to be a factory order, for RHD & without the drop down front bed, so possibly not available for delivery before end of summer. Also the Hymer price list @EUR63k put them at the same price as the Hymer Exsis i562's on the Ford chassis, currently available in the UK @ £50k.

The Fiat Base Exsis is about 6000€ more than the Fiat also to bring them up to a good spec you need to add the comfort pact & a few other extras about another 5000€, if you buy in Belgium you will get at least 10% off the German list price, I say German as Belgium list price is higher.

If looking at stock Exsis on the Ford be aware there is a large batch of OLD RHD ones floating about when Brownhills didn't take delivery last year, check VIN number & date of manufacture you could be buying a 2 year old van.

I've looked at both in detail the Fiat base van is more like a standard Hymer B Class where the Ford van is more down market similar to the Hymer Van.

flicka - 2012-05-15 11:22 PM

What are the opinions of other owners with 7.4 vans (or thereabouts), regarding parking in towns, at tourist attractions, etc.?

Are they too big or do you manage OK ?

If 7.0/7.5m is feasible, I think it will broaden our options considerably.

Our Swift 630L is 7.28m (latest model is slightly longer) and I find no problem driving it. Occasionally it can be a problem to squeeze into a pub car park but we always have the bikes with us so can park elsewhere. That is not an option for you so you would have to be prepared to forego that parking spot It is rare but it will happen.

The only thing I do not like about the length is that it makes the interior of the van seem like you are in a railway carriage.

I would go for one of the A-Class mentioned above. What is the problem with having a double pull down bed and not using it? You may find it had to resell an A Class that does not have an overcab bed. At worst have the bed removed and any mods done as an after sales operation so it can be reverted to the original spec. come resell time.

AliB - 2012-05-16 9:46 AM

I would go for one of the A-Class mentioned above. What is the problem with having a double pull down bed and not using it? You may find it had to resell an A Class that does not have an overcab bed. At worst have the bed removed and any mods done as an after sales operation so it can be reverted to the original spec. come resell time.

I would agree selling an A class without a drop down bed could be difficult, on the other hand a LHD A class is not a problem to sell as they tend to be the norm.

Sorry Lenny, although we could possibly save some money, we don't want a LHD. It's swings & roundabouts, save when purchasing but reflected when selling.

We do too many short trips in the UK & with only occasional forays into Europe.

Today's unplanned visits to a few dealer thwarted as they are all taking Vans to the Show.

Hope those we have our eye on aren't sold at Newbury this weekend >:-( >:-(

Keep finding many more options available over 7m

Also found that the Bessacarr E480 & Swift Sundance 630G are new re-incarnations of the Autocruise Starblazer (but eithout the rear hump) & Garage Door is huge.

Why do manufacturers produce Vans with large Garage, but with access from one side only, defies logic to me. :-(

If you are still considering the Hymer if you buy abroad they will supply RHD and you will save about 10 grand, ours was brought in Belgium and it's RHD.

The Swift you are looking isn't a second garage door an option? If not standard on German vans it's nearly always in the option list.

I've found some more potentially suitable vans we need to look at.

Has anyone any experience of the GEIST build quality ?

They look good on the web, but not a make I've seen many of.

Hi Lenny

Although we won't buy in Europe, I have been looking on some sites.

From what I found, it would appear that many of the Euroland dealers give a bit more thought to what options they order for stock vehicles. Almost ALL of the Burstner Travel Van 620's on offer over there have a Garage Door each side & LuggageSecuring Rails fitted. I've not found one in the UK with those options.

Regarding the Swift vans, (& the Autocruise Starblazer) we have discarded them due to length, (7.49m) as not compatable with our style of use, which inclyudes many day /2 day jaunts including a fair amount of "in-town" driving / parking.

There is no option for a 2nd Garage door on their website & Swift are not renowned for digressing from building their "standard" model.

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2012-05-17 3:59 PM

Hi Lenny

Although we won't buy in Europe, I have been looking on some sites.

From what I found, it would appear that many of the Euroland dealers give a bit more thought to what options they order for stock vehicles. Almost ALL of the Burstner Travel Van 620's on offer over there have a Garage Door each side & LuggageSecuring Rails fitted. I've not found one in the UK with those options.

I think this is normal as unlike here German dealers buy in huge stock and order with all the popular packs. Then if you want extra battery, awning etc they do that on the day of collection. At least that was our experience. With the state of the economy would you really want to be giving a 10-20k deposit for months while waiting for your camper-) ...Well I am very risk adverse and would certainly not!

I was vaguely thinking of changing van to longer model PVC (which my wife wanted in first place *-)) Looked on dealers site and there is a choice of well over 20 suitable vehicles from stock, and if I call I bet there are more on the way to choose from...

Burstner looks a nice van. In Germany new 2012 models from under 37k. Only UK one I saw was an auto at nearly 60k *-)

JudgeMental - 2012-05-17 5:04 PM

I think this is normal as unlike here German dealers buy in huge stock and order with all the popular packs. Then if you want extra battery, awning etc they do that on the day of collection. At least that was our experience. With the state of the economy would you really want to be giving a 10-20k deposit for months while waiting for your camper-) ...Well I am very risk adverse and would certainly not!

I was vaguely thinking of changing van to longer model PVC (which my wife wanted in first place *-)) Looked on dealers site and there is a choice of well over 20 suitable vehicles from stock, and if I call I bet there are more on the way to choose from...

Burstner looks a nice van. In Germany new 2012 models from under 37k. Only UK one I saw was an auto at nearly 60k *-)

Eddie

Does anyone actually put 10 -20k down as a deposit ????????

My experience would indicate only 10% of those values.

But we need to change sooner rather, than waiting for a "factory build" order.

Already lost too much time, waiting for the trailer. (see OP)

Archived