Van change advise

flicka

Guest JudgeMental
why the rush exactly, not the best attitude when buying a motorhome, can be very expensive.......how do you cope with wheel chair at the moment.

Geist quality seems OK but perhaps slightly inferior to Burstner. Sweeping statement of course, and there will be good and not so good examples of both.

I realise this might be stating the obvious and apols for not knowing full circumstances but if the chair is the problem, is it possible to fix the problem?

I've had loads of push bikes made to my exact requirements and imagine there will be options out there to have any number of mobility devices custom made. It could even be made super-light to assist in loading / payload etc.

flicka - 2012-05-17 3:59 PM

I've found some more potentially suitable vans we need to look at.

Has anyone any experience of the GEIST build quality ?

They look good on the web, but not a make I've seen many of.

...if you want to check out the quality, as I'm sure you realise, with your location you could do worse than visit CamperUK at Lincoln.

They usually have a selection on show, limited somewhat by the size of their premises, and have easy access to others, being very strongly associated with the importers.

....and, of course they are usually highly recommended as a dealer - something I can heartily endorse.

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a quick google around and these all terrain wheelchairs are reasonably bulky and heavy, most I looked at over 100kg and expensive. I can now see why flicka liked the look of the Ezetow........

One of my favorite line of vans is the Terrestra range from Euramobil. very high spec and beautiful finish. Oak tree motors are UK dealers. the new 650 EB at 6.8 M has twin singles and is low at 2.79 M.

http://www.euramobil.de/terrestra_teilintegriert_650eb+M59ee53bc2bd.html?&L=1

garage.jpg.d7b2deae11452f281fdab7e44094a32f.jpg

JudgeMental - 2012-05-18 9:12 AM

One of my favorite line of vans is the Terrestra range from Euramobil. very high spec and beautiful finish. Oak tree motors are UK dealers. the new 650 EB at 6.8 M has twin singles and is low at 2.79 M.

Now I like that idea Eddie much better than having little ones in the van :D

euromobile.jpg.43decc64ed6045060f40f3b6e0a62489.jpg

Geist & Euromobil both added to list of possibles.

We had intended to visit both dealers on Wednesday, forgetting they were attending the Newbury show.

So will go next week.

Re the Wheelchair it is not the bulkiest model but has a wide wheelbase, making it more suitable for off tarmac use & as Eddie says they are all heavy. Although the wife's is not too bad @ 96kg.

Although once it's in Motorhome we will be able to adjust loading by taking batteries off.

http://doclibrary.invacare.co.uk/Office/Europe/Marketing/MktDocUK.nsf/MListeDocument?openform&bu=1000&subgroup=1100&family=1140&product=85_ADV

(Looks small on the link)

Wow John, your wife has a seriously snazzy looking set of 'wheels' there!!! :-D

As for your question about length - in our experience it really does make quite a difference going over the 6m barrier - we changed down from a 7.14m Rimor to our current 5.99m Chausson, with the Rimor we often found it difficult to find parking near towns etc, and often had to resort to getting our bikes out or having a long walk, but with the Chausson, on our 5 week jaunt they didn't have to come out once and we're now wondering whether or not we need to take them at all. Also, driving a longer van isn't as easy - you have to watch the back end much more as it swings out as you turn, you have to be careful not to ground it on slopes/ramps etc and when going down winding roads it can be more difficult - as an example on our holiday we went down several ''bendy' roads in our Chausson, one had a 8m length restriction and another couple 10m length regtrictions, but we wouldn't have liked to have taken anything any longer that our tiddler down them ... and we shudder to think what it would have been like if we'd had a large overcab version! Also on longer vans you have to be careful of the payload as they are geneally heavier.

Thanks Mel, you confirmed our thoughts.

The longer vans we were considering would not have caused a payload problem as they were on the 4000kg / 4250kg chassis, so actually giving more user payload.

But we are now restricting the search to around the 6.5m length.

The Burstner is 6.60m with a very large Garage door. Many others (todate) which have the large garage door(s) compromise their internal space (i.e. Knaus, Dethleffs, Rapido amongst other)

.....was in Lowdham Leisure (Nottm Branch) briefly today.

They have the first few Hymers arriving, and I thought of you when I looked in the B514 they had in stock.

An unrestricted garage the size of Rutland, and with huge barn-sized doors either side.*

6.50m long, and excellent payload.

Currently on offer, (probably been standing in Germany for a bit, though) but you'd still have to push the boat out a bit at £59K.

(*only slight hyperbole involved here) ;-)

Thanks Robinhood

The Hymer B514 was not on the radar, but certainly worth a viewing, even though the Lowdhams is overbudget.

Found a gallery on Southdowns website (but sold)

Garage & Layout look OK & possibly others on the market.

Also looks like there were built on 3500kg & 4000kg chassis.

• 2 weeks later...

The search continues, although we have deleted many potential Vans.

We now know that "A" Class vans are out of contention. Those without a passenger door on nearside totally unsuitable & those with a passenger door will not accomodate the Milford Person Lift.

Hobby range garage compromised by their lifting struts (as Robinhood suggested) All the Giest & LMC models we have seen with suitable garages are over 7m.

Many other the Vans, with Garages are restrictive as they only have a single garage door, fine for getting the Electric Wheelchair in, but how do you access the rest of gear in the garage (?)

I had a look at an Adria Sport S572SL, which looks like it may be workable. We can't find any reviews on the web & it's not a make we have looked at in the past. (SHMBO has still to see this over the weekend.)

Does anyone have any experience of the Adria Sport range. (S573DF, S577SC) good or bad.

Anything to be aware of regarding "build quality"

They appear to be the Adria "budget" model & lack a few of the basics. Leisure Battery shown as optional?, No Radio, No Spare Wheel, 1 x 11kg Gas Locker.

Guest JudgeMental

Honestly, get your finger out summer will be over! :D

Do Fiats come with radios? ours did not...I prefer it that way, as I fit a full spec one with bluetooth/I pod etc...

did you see the Terrestra, that is not a budget job..beuitiful inside

Adria build well I think not sure re sport being budget version. The Adria Sport S 572 SL is the one with twin single beds, and only 6.6 m long...some pics here will give you a better idea

http://tinyurl.com/c2lmyj9

and island bed model

http://tinyurl.com/couwbds

JudgeMental - 2012-05-31 5:44 PM

Honestly, get your finger out summer will be over! :D

Do Fiats come with radios? ours did not...I prefer it that way, as I fit a full spec one with bluetooth/I pod etc...

did you see the Terrestra, that is not a budget job..beuitiful inside

Adria build well I think not sure re sport being budget version. The Adria Sport S 572 SL is the one with twin single beds, and only 6.6 m long...some pics here will give you a better idea

http://tinyurl.com/c2lmyj9

and island bed model

http://tinyurl.com/couwbds

Don't I know it Eddie, :-( 8o|

Clocking up a fair few miles travelling around looking at ANY potential Vans.

The Euramobil Terrestra 650EB looks a possibility on paper, or even the Profila's T650EB, 660HB & 680QB but not found any to view so far.

I have seen the Adria Sport 572 & although it didn't have the "WOW this is it" factor, especially as I don't know much about them. it is interesting enough to have a 2nd look over the weekend & see what Madam thinks.

The Island bed version (577), has the same problem as many others Garage access from one side only.

Looking at the Adria Sport on german sites prices are actually higher, but it also shows that the german dealer do tend to order their "stock" with sensible options included.

Guest JudgeMental

I only posted German adds as they have proper pictures? I know you are only interested in RHD.

Dealers advertising vans here are pretty poor in presentation and probably everything else as well...

I doubt UK vans cheaper, they advertise at base price with absolutely nothing added..German vans around £36K with extras/before discount incl VAT.

I would stay away from the budget Euramobil like the Profila

Archived