Europe travel

ST8

Guest Tracker
JamesFrance - 2012-05-17 4:29 PM

As I understand it if you are challenged it would be for you to prove that you were not in their country and not for them to prove that you were.

That's an interesting concept James!

How do you prove a negative?

The only 'proof' that I can think of would be an outward ferry booking print out or ticket or maybe a fuel or supermarket receipt on the way down and not everyone retains those once used and probably not for up to six months anyway?

Perhaps we should?

Guest pelmetman
JamesFrance - 2012-05-17 5:00 PM

Google finds this:

http://www.advoco.es/hot-topics/98-spanish-income-tax-rates-2011.html

That was interesting ;-) .............looks like with our soon to become 10k tax threshold it'll pay to stay a UK resident but spend as much time as possible touring Europe to avoid our stealth taxes............That's our plan B-)

Guest JudgeMental

Just be careful as most of these sites on Google are nothing more then ambulance chasers, using dubious scaremongering tactics to get your buisness....James link better then most, but I hope you get my point and this is the reason I did not post any links....

Anyone contemplating a long term visit needs to do there home work carefully...I mean Bruce cant do everything! :D

Tracker - 2012-05-17 6:52 PM

That's an interesting concept James!

How do you prove a negative?

The only 'proof' that I can think of would be an outward ferry booking print out or ticket or maybe a fuel or supermarket receipt on the way down and not everyone retains those once used and probably not for up to six months anyway?

Perhaps we should?

Just produce your bank statements, or credit card statements, they show where you are spending money, in my case motorway tolls travelling between France and Spain and weekly supermarket payments should be an easy reference.

I have met a few who think that nobody knows where they are, but use cards all the time. Big Brother is everywhere. >:-)

Guest Tracker

Always assuming that you can get printed bank and card statements whilst abroad?

So I guess keeping the card receipt print out slips handy whilst abroad looks like yet another bit of essential paperwork to prove that you were not where they think you were!

Thanks all for comments.

BGD sorry perhaps I misled you due to lack of information. We are not old enough to retire yet in order to draw a pension but are fortunate enough to be self supportive. However, would like to earn a small income from the odd couple of days work a week in order to keep capital in reserve but if we did buy then this would be purchased outright. I understand that Spain especially is probably going to go to the wall financially but then look on the positive side property etc will only get cheaper and hopefully the pound will continue to get stronger against the euro.

I am an optimist rather than a pessimist. We are both in good jobs in the UK and have all we could want for but I'm looking for quality of life not to keep up with the Jones's that doesn't interest me. I want to enjoy life doing the things I can do now rather than waiting until I retire and then can't physically do those things to the extent I can now. If I have to come back to the UK later in life to earn an income then they can have me old and knackered but I will have made the most of my younger years without saying 'wish I had done that' and look back in regret.

The UK is a great place to live but I love the sun and warmth of an outdoor lifestyle.

So at least I now know that due to my initial question that I will buy a UK MH and then return it to the UK after a year. So as I am new to MH's and like to gather as much info as poss and rather from personal opinion rather than an impersonal statistics and data analysis, what MH makes and models under £25k will get us a large rear garage and good lounge area like the Starblazer, or I'm open to other options and configurations.

Thanks

Guest pelmetman
ST8 - 2012-05-17 10:00 PM

Thanks all for comments.

BGD sorry perhaps I misled you due to lack of information. We are not old enough to retire yet in order to draw a pension but are fortunate enough to be self supportive. However, would like to earn a small income from the odd couple of days work a week in order to keep capital in reserve but if we did buy then this would be purchased outright. I understand that Spain especially is probably going to go to the wall financially but then look on the positive side property etc will only get cheaper and hopefully the pound will continue to get stronger against the euro.

I am an optimist rather than a pessimist. We are both in good jobs in the UK and have all we could want for but I'm looking for quality of life not to keep up with the Jones's that doesn't interest me. I want to enjoy life doing the things I can do now rather than waiting until I retire and then can't physically do those things to the extent I can now. If I have to come back to the UK later in life to earn an income then they can have me old and knackered but I will have made the most of my younger years without saying 'wish I had done that' and look back in regret.

The UK is a great place to live but I love the sun and warmth of an outdoor lifestyle.

So at least I now know that due to my initial question that I will buy a UK MH and then return it to the UK after a year. So as I am new to MH's and like to gather as much info as poss and rather from personal opinion rather than an impersonal statistics and data analysis, what MH makes and models under £25k will get us a large rear garage and good lounge area like the Starblazer, or I'm open to other options and configurations.

Thanks

Sounds like an excellent plan to me ;-) ..............although I'm not sure FG would agree (lol) (lol)

I'd still be inclined to wait and see what happens to the eurozone.......If it does all go down the pan and countries like Spain have to devalue........ 8-)

At the Newbury Show this Weekend there was a big exhibition on property buying in Hungary, it seems that Hungary is the  new Spain,  4 bed detached properties with a lot of land for £ 45,000 all on a huge lake, they made it look very attractive to buy there and were offering free 4 night accommodation  to anyone who wanted to go and view, you just had to book and pay for your flights, £99 return they said, cheap health care and Dental treatment 70% cheaper than here apparently, no hard sell guaranteed they said .

Archived