Re Water from Dehumidifier suitable for replenishing Batteries?

Franco

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm told it's OK for use in a steam iron or is that water from a condensing tumble dryer, but for batteries I'd say given the cost of a battery and the cost a bottle of the proper stuff why bother. 8-)

Most certainly not. Water from a dehumidier is full of impurities and bacteria from the air and is far from clean.

Just think how many litres of air have passed over the the coolng elements and every bit of dirt getting trapped by the condensing moisture.

Stick to deionised or distilled water.

Guest 1footinthegrave
LordThornber - 2012-05-19 6:14 PM

I'm not disputing Brambles opinion, he is a battery chap after all, but I use it and have had no problem.

Battery 9.25 years old now and still ok 8-)

Martyn

Blimey you should tell us what battery brand it is, having just replaced my two, and being told they were only good for around 100/150 recycles in any event, and on the van for just around 18 months that would be some good information, or are you on mains most of the time ;-)

Mike, I am a hook up merchant but do use 12v occasionally. If I had to guess it's probably 90/10 sort of ratio.

Without wishing to start a war, I suppose the hook up had paid for itself really with not having replace a battery.

Haven't (touching wood quickly), replaced the engine battery neither.

The make is "Greenpower" (leisure) if I'm not mistaken, but perhaps it's been renamed after all this time 8-)

Martyn

Guest 1footinthegrave
To be honest I'm coming round to the idea that making use of a hookup where available makes very good economic sense. Problem for us in that regard is our extensive use of French Aires many of whom do not have that facility, and many CS/CL sites that do not have them either. Have been toying with the idea of a solar panel but the fly in the ointment is the very times of the year they would be of most help is when the days are shorter, or it's cloudy, mmmmmmmm ;-)

Brambles - 2012-05-18 11:46 PM

Most certainly not. Water from a dehumidier is full of impurities and bacteria from the air and is far from clean.

Just think how many litres of air have passed over the the coolng elements and every bit of dirt getting trapped by the condensing moisture.

Stick to deionised or distilled water.

Just a thought.

So does that also question the suitability of using dehumidifier water in a Steam Iron.

My wife uses it & nearly always gives a blast of spray & steam into the air before starting the ironing.

Quess it's not a very healthy practice to be spraying water droplets around the room (?)

1footinthegrave - 2012-05-20 10:03 AM

To be honest I'm coming round to the idea that making use of a hookup where available makes very good economic sense. Problem for us in that regard is our extensive use of French Aires many of whom do not have that facility, and many CS/CL sites that do not have them either. Have been toying with the idea of a solar panel but the fly in the ointment is the very times of the year they would be of most help is when the days are shorter, or it's cloudy, mmmmmmmm ;-)

Each to his own of course with regard to hookup or not (we avoid them always), but a solar panel will still pump juice into your batteries on cloudy/shorter days.

It's less of course than in full sun, but it does still trickle charge throughout all daylight hours, for free.

Hi Folks; I started this thread about the dehumidifier, but interesting to note comments on leaving batteries plugged into hook-up. I woud say I am on hook-up virtually 98-100% of the time that my camper is parked in my drive (which is definitely most of the winter and many 'summer season' days). I generally use campsites when on the move- unless I am in 'Aires' in France- so I would be on hookup in sites as well. I did have one battery 'cook' several years ago, but I have to say that I find in the last 10 years I certainly find staying on hook-up does no (in my view) damage to my batteries. can genuinely say that I am getting as many as years 6-7 years out of batteries.

Regards

Franco

Hi, Brambles.

I very very seldom visably check my batteries- must do today! I have to move the camper to access the batteries, due to adjacent wall.

I do however keep a very close eye on the readings from the Zig board, and I have never, other than the battery that cooked several years ago, have any battery problems. I will visibly check batteries today on a point of interest.

regards

Franco

Hi

Personal opinion Only . but have used De-H water in all my (4off+ Chassis) American R-V batteries and they are coming up 6th Year of use, back in the 60`s I used the frig; defrost water too. Off EHU charging is coped with by 100W solar panel flat on the roof Keeps everything "tickety boo" thorough a winter layup. Just fitted a similar 80W system to an R-V we keep in the USA, so hopefully with More hours of Sunshine in Texas we will have no trouble when we go back next winter.?

As for EHU``s "cooking" batteries. this should only happen IF you use a standard "auto" charger over a long period. (or you have a "duff" battery anyway) The devices fitted in Most "euro-vans" are the same as the units in the majority of Caravans, these are designed to "maintain" a charge NOT to boost. For this you need a more sophisticated charging system. I have an American system in my r-v which monitors the charge level and has several "stages" of charge From "boost. (or bulk) charge to a maintain charge. They are NOT a cheap item (Read $400-00!!!) Sterling in the UK do a similar Product. again not cheap. I use the cheapest lead acid batteries I can get and so far have had decent use out of them so long as you keep them "watered" Mostly purchased at Shows on the last day when the trader does not want to carry them back to the van to take home!!!

pete

Archived