Elecroblock and Gel battery, any experience of please.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Looking at a Hymer van fitted with an Electroblock charger/distribution system, and just a single 80Ah Exide gel battery ( expensive to replace I'm told) all LED lighting fitted in the van, but a Truma blow heating system fitted that will be used a lot, especially if these cold temperatures continue !

So any observations on these systems welcomed, especially as we try to be off hook up as much as possible, doesn't seem to be an option to replace the single gel battery with a couple of higher capacity lead/acid types as far as I'm aware with this unit, or can I ?

We have 2 x 80 ah gels in our Hymer never use hook ups but have fitted an 80W solar panel as we found even with 2 batteries in France in September we ran out of battery power when up in the mountains using the heating a fair bit and not travelling much. Have changed all spotlights to LED do use TV and sat system a bit and often running the netbook. Reckon before the solar panel we could do about 5 days in summer that's with 2 batteries 3 days in winter.

Truma heater uses about 6A on start up once up to temp about 15 min drops to low fan speed about 1A, won't start if volts below 11.5v

You can get 95a/h AGM's that are same size as 80a/h gel, don't know where Hymer fit a second battery on the van as I think the Ford's starter battery is under one of the seats maybe enough room for a second battery as our second battery is under passenger seat behind Elektroblock.

Exide gel battery is about £240 there are some 95 a/h AGM with 5 year warranty around for about £150.

It should be possible to put flooded or AGM in to replace the Gel. The unit needs to be set for the correct type. If Gel have been fitted tthey may be unvented so new batteries will have to be vented to the outside world so go for ones which you can attach a venting tube to and route it outside ( normally through the floor).

Bear in mind a Gel battery can be discharged down to 80% and still give good life. A Quality wet flooded wil be 60% dod with very occasional 80% without affecting life too much. An Exide gel can actually be 100% discharged but only occassionally as will affect the life.

So all in all a 80Ah Gel is a close equivalent to a 110 Ah in useful capcity and will give a much longer life ( hence why they cost more). A gel can also be left discharged for longer before being fully charged again. The Gel is more resistant to abuse, but the Flooded is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Our last vehicle used them, they were 3 years old and performed well.

I did inquire of Salop Leisure about replacements if needed but they couldn't give a price and said they could get them but their normal battery supplier did do them. So I suspect they would be difficult to get hold of quickly if you needed one in a hurry

I can confirm the charger did have a switch if fitting alternatives and a big warning on the subject.

There is a switch on the Elecroblock for selecting Gel or wet battery charging rates.

If the van is on a Ford chassis there is room to fit one battery in front of the starter battery (under off side, drivers seat) and a second battery behind the Elecroblock which is under the passenger seat. This was the arrangement I had with a Hymer.T522CL.

From memory I had to cut off a piece of the starter battery clamp which is used to secure a second starter battery fitted as original equipment in some counties.

crinklystarfish - 2012-05-19 9:45 AM

I have done the very thing, ie changing the charging regime switching position and installing a couple of conventional 100ah wet cell batts. It still seems to be the case that unless you plan on spending much time upside down, wet cell is hard to beat all things considered.

In our case to advantage of Gel was that they could be positioned in the habitation area without venting.

Guest 1footinthegrave

To be honest Eddie, just "window shopping" really. Love our PVC, just keep coming up with the issue of trying to accommodate our granddaughter for the odd occasion, and only having two belted seats. However have just come back from the dealers without putting my money where my mouth is, despite a very tempting P/X offer essentially offering what we paid for our van more than two years ago with 50k on the clock,and no the low profile Hymer just 8k on the clock, had not had it's price inflated as I had agreed a cash price in principal with the dealer before mentioning my current van and a PX. ( I wonder why ? )

Anyway the thread may have been informative for others as well as me, as I had never come across either a gel battery, or an electrobloc, many thanks to all contributors. ;-)

Hell. 200quid for a battery? whats it ? Gold Plated? 80notes for a 110 Lead acid is robbery in my book!!

Try the trader at the show as he`s packing up. when your tired, batteries are heavy so I offer to carry a couple home for him for a discount!!!. Worked for me!!!. the last ones are 3years and still going the oldest being around 6+ by now.

p.s I agree VENTING is most important after all the product IS hydrogen gas!!!! (any one remember the Hindenburg?) I don`t have that problem as they live under the front "hood" mine being a Diesel Pusher configuration r-v.

pete

Archived