French TV & Hobby Van queries

Van the Man

Any bright sparks out there???? Can you help with these queries please?

Is French TV now all digital, or is there still an analogue signal?

And, this is puzzling – on my Hobby Van, next to the TV mount there is an aerial outlet. But where on earth is the input? To save me tearing the van apart to find it, can anyone help me locate it????

Van the Man - 2012-05-19 6:12 PM

Any bright sparks out there???? Can you help with these queries please?

Is French TV now all digital, or is there still an analogue signal?

And, this is puzzling – on my Hobby Van, next to the TV mount there is an aerial outlet. But where on earth is the input? To save me tearing the van apart to find it, can anyone help me locate it????

French terrestrial TV SHOULD now be completely digital. See:

http://www.french-property.com/news/french_life/france_television_digital/

As lennyhb advises, it's likely that the other end of the cable leading from the rear of your Van's TV-aerial socket can be found (probably at roof-height) in the wardrobe. That's the case with my own Hobby.

Guest JudgeMental
In my van the aerial connection is in first overhead locker above bed (next to wardrobe) You just need to look around, it will be at rear of camper at high level somewhere....

Van the Man - 2012-05-19 6:41 PM

Ah, slight problem - the wardrobe is under the [high-ish] fixed bed!

The Hobby Van has been marketed since 2007 on Ford and, more recently, Fiat chassis. Interior layouts vary and, while some models have their wardrobe beneath a high-level crossways bed, others have the wardrobe(s) elsewhere.

Having said that, Hobby's recent brochures suggest that the usual position for the TV on a Van (whatever its age, chassis or model) is on the forward-facing bulkhead above the half-dinette seat. Assuming that's where the TV is in your vehicle, I'd look for the aerial cable in a high-level locker.

Historically, the reason for feeding the cable to a conventional 'full depth' wardrobe would be to allow a telescopic TV mast to be installed. However, none of the Van models seem to have that type of wardrobe. There's a possibility (I guess) that the aerial cable emerges into the bathroom cabinet on the opposite side of the bulkhead that carries the TV, but a high-level locker seems more likely. Hobby design can be odd, so, if the cable has been led above the ceiing, it's hard to predict where it might emerge.

As there are at least two other forum members who currently own Hobby Vans, if you can provide details (model and year of manufacture) or your motorhome, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you where to find the cable.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-05-20 8:14 AM

As there are at least two other forum members who currently own Hobby Vans, if you can provide details (model and year of manufacture) or your motorhome, I'm sure they'd be able to tell you where to find the cable.

....well, of course, models vary year by year (and, of course, mine is the 'van exclusive' B-) ), but if the power and aerial outlets are, as Derek says, on the small "shelf" behind the dinette seats, then it may be similar to mine.

I also wonder, from the particular wording, whether you are looking for an aerial input socket (which is unlikely to have been fitted unlesss specifically asked for, or it is a s/h 'van and a prior owner has fitted one).

Hobby would normally fit a short length of coax to the rear of the socket, and lead it to an unterminated position relevant to the customer-arranged fitting of a roof aerial. In my van that point is the locker over the dinette seat.

In fact, the coax, (and live and neutral power connections ready for an aerial booster) are contained in a piece of wood-coloured 'D' trunking running from the rear corner of the said shelf, against the 'van wall, and up into the locker above the dinette - where I have had a short-mast status directional aerial fitted, and connected to both the pre-laid coax and power.

HTH

Archived