ILE D'OLERON

dawki

HI all

I am going to france at the end of next week, last year we went over and ended up at La Rochelle + Ile de Re and had a great time on the bikes and on the beach

I was thinking of maybe going back along the same coast line subject to weather and having a look at Ile D,oleron or maybe a bit further along.

i have only been to France twice before north coast then La Rochelle we have about 3 weeks this time and looking to explore a new area that suits our scenery/beach/cycling requirements

I would much appreciate any advice about this area and sites/aires/cycling in the area

Inland from La Rochelle is the " Green Venice " area ( west / north west of Niort ) which is very nice for cycling. Very flat !

NIce site ( La Venise Verte ) at Coulon where there is also a large aire - takes at least 30 vans.

Another site ( possibly a municipal one ?) is at the village of Le Mazeau - a short distance n/w of Coulon. Stayed there a couple of times a few years ago - very quiet.

It's a good stop-off for a couple of days on the way / returning from the coast.

" Green Venice " refers to the vast canal system in the area which is normally covered in a layer of green vegetation, but a few years back a lot of it was lost in stormy weather.

;-)

Called in last year supposedly passing though, and stayed at Les Gros Joncs for three weeks. I know its hard to believe but its even more laid back than Re.

We love both islands, the cycling is great on both and we will visit both again soon.

We love the place, reminds me of the Caribbean. Laid back and costs nothing to get onto. Plenty of aires but we always stop at LA BRANDE a camping cheque site on the East coast .

Should you choose the site, follow the road right round to the back. There is always plenty of large pitches available, people dont realise they are there.

We will be there in June.

Have a great time.

Roy

We have been there a few times now, we seem to arrive there without thinking.

Bouchermaine aire is the place to stop on the way, an old camp site with showers, loos and EHU right next to river side and you can get on cycle path that runs in front of it and go all the way into Angers or the other way along river side into next village.

Soubise is on mainland, this is an aire cannot remember price but we loved it for cycling again you can go in both directions one is a cycle path that takes you to the Transborder that is a fascinating bit of equipment for crossing the river. Or the other way to Port des Barques , there you can cross on to small island on causeway, there is a campsite on island but looked expensive to us and an aire right on the end.

Ile d'Oleron we stayed at St Denis aire a huge place with some EHU, showers and loo's, good for cycling out to light house or to wonderful beaches. We also stayed at Chateau d' Oleron municipal a good place for exploring the town and area, we did not cycle that much from there.

Across the other side is again another fantastic beach that we only found on our way out , it is at Le Grand village plage, when you look at the satellite pics you will see the straight road leading out to coast and the large car park at end, there were many vans on there but I don't think you can stay over, stunning beach when you want a rest from the cycling (lol) .

If I think of more I will let you know.

Mandy

Access to the Bouchemaine aire near Angers now seems to be via a credit-card-operated 'automate' (presumably some sort of barrier).

http://www.ville-bouchemaine.fr/aire-d-accueil-de-camping-cars-2666.html

I note from comments on the campingcar-infos website that the aire was closed in March 2012 for work to be carried out. Also a complaint that people had been arriving late, departing early and not paying. So installation of a card-operated barrier would be a reasonable assumption.

We were there last year, be warned because of the large amount of inland water Oyster & Salt Beds ) mosquitoes are everywhere take plenty of repellent, but do not be put off it is a lovely area, cycle paths crisscross the island going on well-maintained cycle tracks through the country side.

We stayed as part of a rally at La Brand which is a nice site, but we did see lots of Aires and Municipal (I think) Sites.

There is a nice Aire at Boyardville in the centre of the village for an overnight stop to explore this area.

The far north is also worth a visit with some lovely ice-cream shops.

we stayed at Le Domaine d'Oleron site just outside st Georges d'oleron a couple of years ago. An exccellent site (ACSI 1248) with good facilities. It is right on the cycle network and about a mile from a large leclerc's supermarket. We only spent a little time touring around as I was bitten by a mosquito and my hand swelled up so badly I could not drive. Do not let this put you off however it is really worth a visit. the little fishing village of La Cotiniere is great- particularly if you like seafood, and the church on the docks has little memorial cards to all the fisherman who have been lost at sea- quite touching. A nice little atmospheric, & very cheap, bar a hundred yards from the campsite as well. Definitely a place we will return to.

Bob

We visited both islands two years ago, they must rate as the most boring places in France. Completely flat, no scenary worth a mention, very few old towns or villages worth a second look, even the coast is second rate. I guess if you like cycling around dead flat concrete paths that are all the same you may like it but what on earth do people see in these places. If you have three weeks do not bother, you can reach anywhere in France during this time period keep heading inland and south.

Not sure agree with Rupert on this one regarding interesting towns. In past stayed on aire at St Martin de Re, and found town really nice (think it is UNESCO listed) In early March this year stayed on aire at Le Chateau D'Oreron. Again found this old walled town well worth a couple of days. In particular the port area with the colourful huts, craft shops, bars etc is really interesting. (free wi-fi in town square from tourist office). Not so keen on aire as is old camp site, and still too much like a site for our taste! Still will, we are sure, be of interest to many of you. Cost (in March) was 8.5€/night including hook- up and showers etc. did not inspect latter as not keen on using these communal facilities. Mixture of grass and hard standing, but some of the hardstanding is difficult to drive on to. We stayed on the pitches on the old car park; much more aire like!!!! Very busy so early in season, 50 vans, so arrive early. A fairly long walk to town, over 1 km, but there are 8 marked paces in town centre car park where vans can stay during day time only. Entry to aire is by credit card.

I don't agree with Ruperts post either....The Ill de Oleron is great ...good safe cycle ways a good few sites... we were there in August 2008 so it was very busy but it didn't detract from how nice it was...It costs nothing to get onto the island unlike the Ill de Re..but they are both nice.....

We went there on one of our trips last year, mainly to meet some friends, agree they are both nice, but not as nice as most other parts of France. Guess it is 'horses for courses' but we are certainly not rushing back though our friends go there every year.

We find so many more places in France that we preffer and that are much warmer it can be a very cold coast. We were their in June last year and were wearing fleeces most of the time it was so cold, moved 50 miles inland and you could feel the air warming by the mile.

Bas

Also don't agree with Rupert's post.

We have stayed on both islands and cycled extensively on both. Yes they are flat but maybe Rupert is one of these lycra clad speedsters seeing only the front wheel and no countryside :-D For those without the lycra or battery powered bikes, these two islands are very well set up for easy cycling. Excellent signposting and safe mainly off road routes. I would not recommend going to either the French school holidays unless you like cycle jams (especially on Re). At other times these flat and sometimes windy islands are a delight for the leisure cyclist. We prefer Re for its charming small towns (with lots of history - read the books Rupert) and areas of constant conflict between the land and sea. Birdlife is fantastic - if you cycle slow enough to see it. Re even has its own cycle transport bus in the season and cycle path 'advisors' to help where needed.

If you want a hilly challenge then you can always cycle over the bridge into La Rochelle and attack the coastal paths.

We usually stay on island campsites as the aires are few and get very crowded. Avoid St Denis D'Oleron aire the former municipal site, always crowded, always filled with people ignoring the usual rules, unpruned trees that can scrape your van, just not pleasant.

St Martin de Re Aire is OK but at 10 Euro you may as well pay a bit more and get a proper pitch on the adjacent municipal site. We also like Camping la Providence at Les Portes en Re although they are filling up this site with those nasty white boxes beloved by the French - good new pool though. Antioche camp site was also a favourite when family owned - great location on the sand dunes but now owned by a commercial group who are filling it up with the cheap and nasty little white 'mobile home' boxes also.

Lots of good things to do and see on both islands, Re is far superior to Oleron in our opinion but try both and see what you think. Ther's always Ile de Noirmoutier further up which is also pretty good for cycling.

Hi All

Thanks very much for your replies all very useful. We like most who have replied to this thread really liked La Rochelle/Ile de Re last year and would happily go along the same coast if the weather is ok.

There are some of you who have suggested heading a bit further maybe, which i will do if weather dictates

so i am very much open to all options/advice to any areas that would allow me to get out and do what we want to do, cycle/walk/beach/visit towns

dawki - 2012-05-22 6:46 AM

.................so i am very much open to all options/advice to any areas that would allow me to get out and do what we want to do, cycle/walk/beach/visit towns

If you are in to cycling / walking / beaches then you should get down to the coast of south west France sometime. Anywhere from the south side of the Gironde estuary, down to Spain.

Huge empty beaches, plus lots of cycle tracks through the pine forests. When it's hot you can stop cycling and pop over the dunes to cool off in the sea.

You can walk for miles along the beaches.

Sea can be a bit rough, and is normally a bit chilly, but great to cool off in.

BUT, don't go down there looking for any BIG towns !

;-)

malc d - 2012-05-22 8:51 AM

dawki - 2012-05-22 6:46 AM

.................so i am very much open to all options/advice to any areas that would allow me to get out and do what we want to do, cycle/walk/beach/visit towns

If you are in to cycling / walking / beaches then you should get down to the coast of south west France sometime. Anywhere from the south side of the Gironde estuary, down to Spain.

Huge empty beaches, plus lots of cycle tracks through the pine forests. When it's hot you can stop cycling and pop over the dunes to cool off in the sea.

You can walk for miles along the beaches.

Sea can be a bit rough, and is normally a bit chilly, but great to cool off in.

BUT, don't go down there looking for any BIG towns !

;-)

Sorry malc d

I should have said villages rather than towns anywhere really with a couple of shops/bar/scenery to wonder around

Matrix Meanderer - 2012-05-21 9:09 PM

Also don't agree with Rupert's post.

We have stayed on both islands and cycled extensively on both. Yes they are flat but maybe Rupert is one of these lycra clad speedsters seeing only the front wheel and no countryside :-D For those without the lycra or battery powered bikes, these two islands are very well set up for easy cycling. Excellent signposting and safe mainly off road routes. I would not recommend going to either the French school holidays unless you like cycle jams (especially on Re). At other times these flat and sometimes windy islands are a delight for the leisure cyclist. We prefer Re for its charming small towns (with lots of history - read the books Rupert) and areas of constant conflict between the land and sea. Birdlife is fantastic - if you cycle slow enough to see it. Re even has its own cycle transport bus in the season and cycle path 'advisors' to help where needed.

If you want a hilly challenge then you can always cycle over the bridge into La Rochelle and attack the coastal paths.

We usually stay on island campsites as the aires are few and get very crowded. Avoid St Denis D'Oleron aire the former municipal site, always crowded, always filled with people ignoring the usual rules, unpruned trees that can scrape your van, just not pleasant.

St Martin de Re Aire is OK but at 10 Euro you may as well pay a bit more and get a proper pitch on the adjacent municipal site. We also like Camping la Providence at Les Portes en Re although they are filling up this site with those nasty white boxes beloved by the French - good new pool though. Antioche camp site was also a favourite when family owned - great location on the sand dunes but now owned by a commercial group who are filling it up with the cheap and nasty little white 'mobile home' boxes also.

Lots of good things to do and see on both islands, Re is far superior to Oleron in our opinion but try both and see what you think. Ther's always Ile de Noirmoutier further up which is also pretty good for cycling.

No, have a 125cc scooter. I did say the countryside and cycle paths were all flat but they are also all the same and what is scenic about flat fields. Charming small towns, well there is one which you can spend a couple of hours in but that is about it. It would seem some are easily pleased to spend a week cycling around flat paths through boring countryside, still each to their own at least it keeps some out of the best bits of France, which is actually pretty much everywhere over these boring overated islands. And if you want contrast between land and sea go to Cornwall, similiar climate and much better coast.

Aahh well there's the answer then! A scooter rider not a push biker - a world of difference. I would agree that with a scooter you can get round the islands quickly and see not a lot. They do look average from the regular roads. You need to get off the main roads and onto the cycle tracks (scooters usually prohibited) to see the best bits of these islands.

Love Cornwall - ice cream palours, fish and chip shops, over priced souvenir shops, caravan parks as far as the eye can see, bloody difficult narrow roads, Tesco towns, parking height barrier nightmare! But they do have decent bitter west of the Tamar! And don't get me started on Lincolnshire!

Seriously though - we cycle in many parts of France and it is always a better experience than the UK. So getting back to the original question - try cycling on the islands you will enjoy it. :-D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all back a couple of days ago had a great couple of weeks despite the weather turning on the way back up.

thanks again for your help

We managed to take in stops at La Brande

really really liked Ile D'oleron

Archived