Aires in French Alps

KD1

Hi everybody. Thanks to everybody who replied to my earlier request regarding Aires in Belguim. I will be golng to Strausbourg, Mulhouse, Bescanon before spending quite a time in the Annecy, Chamonix area. and then onto Grenoble-so any information regarding these places would be most welcome. Not having been in the Alps region before-any feedback regarding nice Aires etc please. I anticipate being in that area in August. Thanks in advance.

There is an aire at Annecy by the lake, but it is always popular and therefore crowded. Has easy walking access to town.

Jeremy- Which ACSI site did you use. I hope to be there in three weeks time.

Guest JudgeMental

do you have a specific reason for a northernly route? (talking about other thread)

As Dunkirk - Lille - Namur - Luxembourg (cheap fuel) - Strasbourg - makes far more sense...Toll free motorway all the way.

over 3 visits have never managed to get on the very over subscribed Aire near Annercy..have always stayed on sites further down

Just left aire at Besacon yesterday, having spent 3 days there. Only go if you are a real aires fan and not of a nervous disposition! It is not easy to find, although our approach not helped by having wrong co-ordinates; even so streets are narrow and many closed due to construction of a new tram system. During day aire is quite but always full; we were very lucky to grab a place late Thursday as a van just pulled out (you can however park in main car park, not designated motorhome spaces and many do). At night however it is noisy from midnight to 4.00 am with people returning to cars and students returning to appartments. Best places are at lefthand side, when entering as these do not have a roadway behind them.

Why if so noisy did we stay? Well we really wanted to visit the city, having listened to Raymond Blanc describe it (he was born there) and in particular see the time museum. Staying on the aire allows you to walk in and we were able to have a meal in a resturant described by Raymond Blanc, and visit the main museums/galleries. A particular treat was Saturday evening (le Nuit de Musees) when we enjoyed a Cello recital in the time museum followed by an experimental performance in the Arts Museum. So if you enjoy visiting cities, are happy to stay on an aire which might be very noisy (but we did not feel any threat they were just people in high spirits) then go. If not keen on aires in first place then this one is certainly not for you

Cost is 5€/night, no charge Sundays and fete days; free internet at tourist office on river side (not one in centre) where you can surf the web with great river views.

JohnP - 2012-05-21 2:55 PM

There is an aire at Annecy by the lake, but it is always popular and therefore crowded. Has easy walking access to town.

Jeremy- Which ACSI site did you use. I hope to be there in three weeks time.

John hi

Le Panoramic, Sevrier, near Annecy (ACSI #1583 p 227) Great location overlooking the Lake, nice young couple running it. (Restaurant shut until 01/06 though) €16 - good facilities

We stayed at Les Deux Glacier in Chamonix - an ACSI site (not Camping card though, but only cost €16.80) A fantastic location directly underneath Mont Blanc & The Bossons Glacier, but the facilities are tatty & dirty & Madam was somewhat rude (always had a mobile clamped to her ear!).

"Ser Sirant" on Lac de Laffrey St Théoffrey just 30Km outside Grenoble (South) (ACSI #1570 p.223) Lovely site on the lake, run by a really nice young Dutch couple. €16 Thoroughly recommend this one!

We had intended to stay at L'Escale in Grand Bornand, near La Clusaz about 25 Km from Annecy (ACSI #1552, p. 217) , €16. However they don't open til 25/05. (I have stayed here regularly over 25 years for skiing holidays & M. & Mdme Baur & their son Pierre & daughter Catharine are good people.

Hope that's useful

Chamonix gets very busy in August, and Aires and campsites can be a challenge.

We've found it nicer to head up to Argentiere and use the campsite up there; quieter and nice surroundings.

AND, there is one thing well worth noting - if you use the (a) campsite for at least a couple of nights, you will be entitled to a Guest Card which offers discount on certain attractions. That's OK, but the best thing is that it also offers free travel in the valley on buses and the train.

Great for getting into Chamonix (there is a station at Argentiere) but if you like walking, or wider sightseeing, it also allows travel from the bottom of the valley right up to the Swiss border.

This is great for one-way walks, including the high-level "balcony" routes.

We had to ask for our "cards", but they were freely given.

Did Annecy last year this was our path

Heiderscheid - aire purpose built next to camping shop

Pont a Mousson Aire - E7 a night

Luxeuil Les Bains - FOC next to lake, short walk to Auchan shop

Natuna Aire - nice but busy so couldn't get on

Annecy Aire small one on side of Lake - there are 2 both busy.

Camping Club International Du La Bleu - Campsite on lake side, stunning views of sky divers from mountain tops and landing next to site.

Aixe les Baines - brand new Aire right on edge of town near port - if you go here head to Le Chat monument, views getting to it like I have never seen, not for those with fear of heights! Abbey de Hautecombe really worth a visit too.

Feclez Aire - ski resort that closes down, huge aire, stunning views

Saint Lac du Pointe Aire - next to lake side, small site next to it.

Beau de Dames Aire - Fantastic for cycling, some tight spots, around 6 places at base which we didn't realise , can get busy but large and organised.

Thaon le Voyges Aire - our favourite of the trip, we got spot next to river side - good cycling and near to town.

Charmes - more cycling and near to town, next to river. has showers and loo's

Camping Birkelt , Luxembourg, ACSI , huge with indoor pool. Steep hills around so didn't cycle here.

Arques Aire - hour from Calais, nice stop over and cheap, got crowded late on, linked to campsite.

Hope this gives you some ideas, for more info just ask.

Mandy

Some spellings could be out

:-(

There is a terrific aire at annecy we used last year but it's down the bottom end of the lake. Fine for us as we have transport but it's much nicer than the other aires up the top end which in august you will struggle to get on and if you do it will be sardines.

I'm in the gym at the moment but when I get back to my laptop I'll dig out the details. All on our website blog though for summer 2011. Also a cracking on up on plain jeux which overlooks mont blanc. Bit of a hairy ride up but ok if you take your time. Again www.campingcar-infos.com is where to look

Just to add a little more to the very helpful response from Mandy and Andy. Now on aire at Charmes, weather warm and sunny here last couple of days but misty this morning following overnight thunder storms. Charms is a nice spot with pitches next to canal, both grass and hard standing, hook-ups, wi-fi for 3€/48 hours and cost still 6€/night

. Were at Baume-Les-Dames(25) a couple of weeks ago, again a nice but busy aire in a lovely setting but a long walk into town. All facilities here, hook-up etc and ideal for those wanting to give aires a try. Cost is 8.40€/night with free wi-fi available at Super U cafe just over bridge on way into town. Also stayed on aire at Nantua(01) and did manage to find a place on the new spaces at far side of lake. These pitches are in a great position with lake/mountain views but do back straight on to a road with some fast traffic, so not for young children maybe. Cost 7€/night, no hook-ups but free services. Managed to pick up unsecured wi-fi but with booster.

Two other aires we stayed on and enjoyed were Mouth (25) and Arinthod (39). Mouth is an old style aire, on village car park, with a nice setting next to church and houses. Lovely country walks, particularly the one to the source of the river Doubs. Aire is free to stay on. Arinthod aire has nice open views and each of the 6 pitches is hedged with decent space. Cost is 6€/night including hook-up; village is nice to potter round.

Hi, dont know if this has been mentioned but there is a aire at Bergues,20 mins from Dunkirk outside the city next to playing fields, no services except dustbins, but water is available during the day at the adjacent sports club.its only a short walk into the small walled town.

Totally free, really quiet and will take probably 30 vans although we've never seen more than 8. The entrance road is almost opposite the railway station.

Another couple of place - unofficial but no one has ever said anything - is the car park next the church in Profondeville, or the coach park at Dinant Castle. Ideal for a stopover .

Thanks for all your replies. Very useful information on this Forum-as always. In answer to Judge Mental-I am taking the Northern Route firstly as We need to go back to my Dealer to have some work done.

Guest JudgeMental
KD1 - 2012-05-23 12:03 PM

Thanks for all your replies. Very useful information on this Forum-as always. In answer to Judge Mental-I am taking the Northern Route firstly as We need to go back to my Dealer to have some work done.

No worries! My dealer north Germany also...But from time to time you do get some that require more help :D

Archived