bike racks/roof vents

henry

Henry I have no idea on roof vents but fitted an Omnistor Omnilift bike rack last week to my Hymer B. It is a very easy job. Hymer have already fitted the top hanging brackets so all you have to do is measure and fit the bottom support bracket. You didn't say whether your rack would be either a Fiamma or an Omnistor but the following points should be broadly the same for both. Hang the rack from the top brackets, fit the bottom support to the rack and mark its location on the rear body panel. To mount the bottom support plate you must drill through the body panel so measure twice and drill once! Once you have marked the two bolt holes, ensure you have the necessary clearance inside the van for the bolts and their brackets. Check for any wiring and other obstructions. Once you have drilled, ensure that you fill the drilled holes with a proprietry sealant, Silkaflex is excellent, before you bolt the bracket to the rear panel. If you go for the Omnistor rack, make sure you fit the top hanging hook locating brackets. In all about 10 minutes work. I was quoted £80 (plus VAT) to fit the rack by a nice man wearing a fetching mask! Regards Pat

thanks for the information. we shall try out this one as we were quoted £294.00 for rack + fitting and he wasn't even wearing a fetching mask!, incidentally do we have to for the Fiamma carry-bike pro-hymer or will anything fit? regards Henry

Henry The Fiamma Pro C Hymer rack is different from other racks in the Fiamma range as the plastic mouldings are blue, rather than red, to match the Hymer colour scheme. Omnistor products are blue. The Fiamma Pro C rack comes with the correct hanging brackets to fit the pre-mounted supports on the back panel of the MH. The Omnistor racks are universal and come with the necessary brackets to fit the Hymer. Its a matter of personnal choice which make you go for. I have the Omnistor as I can wind it down to almost floor level to mount the bikes. Fiamma do not offer that option and I prefer the Omnistor wheel chock system which is very easy to adjust. But both makes are very well engineered and as always it is worth shopping around for the best price which I found varied enormously as did shipping charges. Pat

Archived