Used TomTom Europe Required

Barryd999

Hi All

I currently have an ancient TomTom one which is on the blink (long story). I looked at some of the newer models today and wasnt impressed. Has anyone got an older TomTom one or similar with full Europe Maps for sale? Doesnt have to be bang up to date and dont want to spend lots of money.

Oh and I need it ASAP!

Cheers

Barry

peter - 2012-05-22 8:52 PM

Have a look on e.bay.

Thanks. I have and there is one Im asking some questions about but I hate buying stuff off ebay as its full of nutters and con artists so I thought I would come here where all the sensible law abiding people are who are also likely to have something ready to go for Europe! :-D

Guest Tracker

Tom Tom website sometimes has old models and reconditioned sat navs for sale at discounted prices - with updated maps (sometimes) and a full one year warranty (usually).

Mine came from there and has worked faultlessly for 5 years and I have no intention of forking out a small fortune for a new one just to get maps with some (but never all) new roads on it when all new roads are well signed and always lead back to an old road eventually!

Guest peter
Barryd999 - 2012-05-22 8:55 PM

Have a look on e.bay.

Thanks. I have and there is one Im asking some questions about but I hate buying stuff off ebay as its full of nutters and con artists so I thought I would come here where all the sensible law abiding people are who are also likely to have something ready to go for Europe! :-D

I don't know where you get the idea that e.bay is full of con artists and nutters. I've been buying stuff off there for years and have never had any problems. In fact quite the reverse. Still, it was only a suggestion and it's up to you.

peter - 2012-05-22 9:03 PM

Have a look on e.bay.

I don't know where you get the idea that e.bay is full of con artists and nutters. I've been buying stuff off there for years and have never had any problems. In fact quite the reverse. Still, it was only a suggestion and it's up to you.

Ok fair enough it was a bit of a sweeping statement. Ive just had more than my fair share of pillocks on Ebay then and some recent bad experiences. Im sure there are plenty of good sellers and buyers.

Just thought that someone on here who knows the kind of thing we need might be upgrading or something.

We got both of our units off ebay, a new one still boxed but unused, and a used one (hubby likes to have a spare 'just in case' since we had a sat nav 'die' on us a couple of days before we had to go to Paris a good few years ago ... he's a worrier !! *-) ).

Both are great and we saved a lot of dosh on buying one from a shop.

As for the latest mapping ... don't get too excited about it - we've got the mapping which came out earlier this year (in March I think) and there are loads of 'errors' on it - our unit just about had a fit in one town we went to where the one-way system didn't match the mapping and it looked as if the one-way system had been that way for a few years so you can't say it is a recent change that caused the inaccuracy ... it also didn't know where the centre of one major town was (can't remember which one it was now ... I'll have to consult my log) which was a nuisance. We also found that it had lots of people's own drives showing as roads and some others which hadn't been roads for many many a year ... very disappointed with it and considering going back to the previous lot of mapping which was much more accurate.

Mel B - 2012-05-22 11:24 PM

We got both of our units off ebay, a new one still boxed but unused, and a used one (hubby likes to have a spare 'just in case' since we had a sat nav 'die' on us a couple of days before we had to go to Paris a good few years ago ... he's a worrier !! *-) ).

Both are great and we saved a lot of dosh on buying one from a shop.

As for the latest mapping ... don't get too excited about it - we've got the mapping which came out earlier this year (in March I think) and there are loads of 'errors' on it - our unit just about had a fit in one town we went to where the one-way system didn't match the mapping and it looked as if the one-way system had been that way for a few years so you can't say it is a recent change that caused the inaccuracy ... it also didn't know where the centre of one major town was (can't remember which one it was now ... I'll have to consult my log) which was a nuisance. We also found that it had lots of people's own drives showing as roads and some others which hadn't been roads for many many a year ... very disappointed with it and considering going back to the previous lot of mapping which was much more accurate.

This is partly why im looking for a similar older model to what I have. The new ones I tried in Halfords looked pretty with their big screens but when I started exploring the map which I do a lot of on my dinky old tomtom it was so slow it was unusable.

So yes a good second hand one thats sound off a fellow motorhomer would do and I can use the existing one as a backup

Guest JudgeMental
I have a 2 year old Garmin and looking at a new model when I was down in Spain, it seemed somewhat stripped down and not that user friendly or intuative...so I think you need to think carefully when upgrading. Totally agree with Tracker, just back from trip to Spain and on a few occasions the road disappeared and I just carried on until unit found a road it recognised..I never pay for updates.

JudgeMental - 2012-05-23 12:18 AM

I have a 2 year old Garmin and looking at a new model when I was down in Spain, it seemed somewhat stripped down and not that user friendly or intuative...so I think you need to think carefully when upgrading. Totally agree with Tracker, just back from trip to Spain and on a few occasions the road disappeared and I just carried on until unit found a road it recognised..I never pay for updates.

Im noticing a trend here. Various experts have told me the new stuff is crap and you only have to start reading some of the online reviews especially about updates to confuse yourself completely as to what to purchase. The Sat Nav world does not seem to have progressed very well does it?

I buggered if Im going to spend £200 on a gizmo that is not as good as my Original TomTom One. For sure I wont bother updating the maps. My maps are about 5 years old and seem ok. There is always the odd new road but generally as has been said you end up on track again with a bit of common sense and experience.

8-) I looked at ebay 8-) and decided not to bother having bought other items that were not as they ought to have been *-)

Im now disapointed at my reluctence to buy an old modle tom tom which did everything that made them the first choise 8-)

I found the old stock at the center Eleclerc in Cahors *-) My discovery coincided with time of cost cuttig as id spent FAR to much while staying on the coast *-)

If you or anyone else on route to Spain *-) (?) Its worth noteing that this Elecleric always has old stock??Last year about the same time i found them selling Asus 701s "for ONLY" 301€ 8-)

I was looking at more power freindly laptops at the time finding my ancient IBM & Asus 900 were poor traveling companions :-|

This year the Tom toms now look like a missed opertunity to navigate with choise B-)

Have a look on e.bay.

Please don't tar everyone with the same brush, I make over 50% of my living selling on eBay.

There are indeed many items that can be bought on ebay with great saving *-) GPS & used laptops might not be such a good buy *-)

I bought a canon printer which was defective 8-) used then a new i90 (about four or five years ago 8-)) That still works and has proved a very useful addition to the campingvan :-D

ebay is a wonderful institution with many first class vendors selling just whats needed 8-)

One option for updating an older version of Tom Tom maps might be to ask one of those guys at car-boot sales who unlocks mobile phones while you wait.

There's a similar sort of setup at "Rastros" here in Spain....

One of these chaps here somehow gets hold of the latest edition of Europe-wide maps each year, and will update the Tom Tom unit that you bring him. Does the same for Garman units too.

We've used him for updates each year for the past 4 years now I think.

He seems to work 1 year behind, eg this years Europe-wide update is the "2011" version, but only cost us €8, for our Tom Tom Go 720.

Might be worth asking around to see if anyone does this at car boots near to you?

Try Tomtom Outlet (as suggested) or Halfords Clearance for Tomtom XL or XXL with European mapping for £99-£109. You will be entitled to the most recent map update if you apply within 6 months of purchase.

I did see a TomTom One V3 (like my own) on Halfords the other day for £29!!! This would have also qualified for free map updates - just the map update for mine would be £49 ish. Hmmmm, i should have bought it.

BGD - 2012-05-23 9:41 AM

One option for updating an older version of Tom Tom maps might be to ask one of those guys at car-boot sales who unlocks mobile phones while you wait.

One of these chaps here somehow gets hold of the latest edition of Europe-wide maps each year, and will update the Tom Tom unit that you bring him. Does the same for Garman units too.

He seems to work 1 year behind, eg this years Europe-wide update is the "2011" version, but only cost us €8, for our Tom Tom Go 720.

Might be worth asking around to see if anyone does this at car boots near to you?

Hmmmm, interesting concept that BGD, €8 for a year old map update when you could have had the latest and genuine non pirated one for a lesser price!!

At £38 for 18 months updates from Tom Tom, that equals at least six updates therefore £6.33p per update.

By the way which 2011 version do you reffer to, Tom Tom release at least four updates per year, there were five updates in 2011 six if you include the Navcore update and 'tweeked' map that came out after it in close succession to the previous update!

Bas

bolero boy - 2012-05-23 5:52 PM

Try Tomtom Outlet (as suggested) or Halfords Clearance for Tomtom XL or XXL with European mapping for £99-£109. You will be entitled to the most recent map update if you apply within 6 months of purchase.

I did see a TomTom One V3 (like my own) on Halfords the other day for £29!!! This would have also qualified for free map updates - just the map update for mine would be £49 ish. Hmmmm, i should have bought it.

XXL doen't have enough memory to store full european maps if you try to update it. and has no card slot.

colin - 2012-05-23 8:52 PM

bolero boy - 2012-05-23 5:52 PM

XXL doen't have enough memory to store full european maps if you try to update it. and has no card slot.

Nor does my own. I am happy with Western Europe as stored, to go to full Europe I would need to 'swap in' the appropriate section from external storage (the tomtom website or my PC if allowed to have it there). Hence my reluctance to upgrade.

bolero boy - 2012-05-24 9:00 AM

Nor does my own. I am happy with Western Europe as stored, to go to full Europe I would need to 'swap in' the appropriate section from external storage (the tomtom website or my PC if allowed to have it there). Hence my reluctance to upgrade.

Here's what happened to me.

I bought an XXL with full european mapping from Argos, on first update to latest maps it went over memory limit and split maps to two. Questioned TomTom and got an apology email, printed off email and returned to Argos, they stated "we don't do returns on satnav as per our terms and conditions" I pointed out that it was advertised with full european mapping which it no longer had on devise, they answered that I had updated maps so where not responsable, I answered that they advertised 'with latest maps garentee', they answered "thats ok just store eastern europe maps on a computer" my reply was that to navigate across europe with the XXL would require a laptop and would they like to supply one foc for the devise to work as advertised. I walked out with money refunded to my credit card. I then did some more research and purchased a vialive125 which has double memory of XXL plus card slot.

Useful stuff! Why is nothing straight forward. Havent got a clue what to buy now. XL and XXL or whatever are being sold with full Europe but not enough memory to use it? How mad is that?

So whats the cheapest and best one to go for for full Europe? Does anyone know?

Basil - 2012-05-23 8:10 PM

BGD - 2012-05-23 9:41 AM

Hmmmm, interesting concept that BGD, €8 for a year old map update when you could have had the latest and genuine non pirated one for a lesser price!!

At £38 for 18 months updates from Tom Tom, that equals at least six updates therefore £6.33p per update.

By the way which 2011 version do you reffer to, Tom Tom release at least four updates per year, there were five updates in 2011 six if you include the Navcore update and 'tweeked' map that came out after it in close succession to the previous update!

Bas

But Bas, that's not a lesser price is it. That's a much greater price.

I don't want/need to pay an upfront price of £38 (approx €42) for each 18 months.

I just pay €8 ( £7) whenever I want to.............which is about once every couple of years.

I'm happy with an update at that sort of frequency.

Archived