Bat Aid Tablets?

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Has anyone tried these recently?

I did once on an tired but not dead boat battery many years ago and they made no difference whatsoever.

A friend wants to try them on his boat batteries but my view is that he would be better served by putting the cost towards new batteries instead?

However out of curiosity I did say that I would ask our very knowledgeable audience before condemning them outright!

http://store.fastcardirect.co.uk/GRANVILLE-GranVille-Bat-Aid/dp/B0049MYHWC?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

With the electrolyte SG at between 1175 and 1150 on all 6 cells of both batteries after 24 hours on charge I reckon that both batteries are beyond redemption - unless anyone knows different please?

Hmm memories!!

I haven't seen these in years. I used to use them about 20 years ago on an old leisure battery which I bought from the car boot sale. It had a really dodgy cell but these brought it up to a decent reading to enable me to run lights, pump etc in my old caravan. Cant say I would endorse them though but my thinking is that they are cheap enough to give a try before ditching the old battery.

Your thread title pulled my attention for all the wrong reasons. Last night I enjoyed two bats flying in my garden for the first time in many years and was enthralled. Be out soon so will keep this short.

Save money and put towards new battery.

Must dash. :-D (Gosh I'm adopting the PV habit)

Brambles - 2012-05-23 9:07 PM

Epsom salts anyone?

copied from Wiki wotzit....

AdditivesSince the 1950s chemical additives have been used to reduce lead sulfate build up on plates and improve battery condition when added to the electrolyte of a vented lead–acid battery. Such treatments are rarely, if ever, effective.[19]

Two compounds used for such purposes are Epsom salts and EDTA. Epsom salts reduces the internal resistance in a weak or damaged battery and may allow a small amount of extended life. EDTA can be used to dissolve the sulfate deposits of heavily discharged plates. However, the dissolved material is then no longer available to participate in the normal charge/discharge cycle, so a battery temporarily revived with EDTA will have a reduced life expectancy. Residual EDTA in the lead–acid cell forms organic acids which will accelerate corrosion of the lead plates and internal connectors.

The active materials change physical form during charge/discharge, resulting in growth and distortion of the electrodes, and shedding of electrode into the electrolyte. Once the active material has fallen out of the plates, it cannot be restored into position by any chemical treatment. Similarly, internal physical problems such as cracked plates, corroded connectors, or damaged separators cannot be restored chemically.

Archived