Public Sector Strike

We returned into the UK on 10th May, this was the day of the above strike. The result at point of departure was that our passports were checked in Dunkirk twice, once by the French (this was a first) and then by the Brits. There we were all lined up ready to board when the Border Agency appeared and asked to search the van (another first).

Arrived at Dover were we were pulled over for an Animal Health check ie "can we see the pet passport please" (another first).

We don't have a problem with any of this, it was just surprising that on a day when the whole thing was going to go to pot we had these checks carried out.

I guess it was just as much a novelty to these infill staff as it was to us. I expect the next time we go it will be SNAFU.

Your post has just reminded me of an incidence I was told about last month.

Someone turned up at airport for flight with only hand baggage, security where suspesious of contents and they where pulled aside for checks, after 2 hr wait due to lack of staff they where eventualy searched and then given all clear, this left her unable to board plane, so then had book a BA flight from different airport at last minute prices, on airport shuttle bus there where several others with same problem. Lesson is, don't just expect hold ups on return flights due to lack of staff, be prepared to be held up going out.

Archived