fiat/talbot petrol engine

mike_talisman

(>) could somebody out there advise me? I have an elderly talisman and I think the engine is past its best. I have been told that the peugeot 504/505 engine is the same unit, albeit slightly more powerful, but, again I have only been told, less torquey, whatever that might mean. If this is so ,would it be a straight fit ? If this were the case I think I could find one in a breakers yard a lot easier than a talbot or fiat lump. Thanks to anyone out there who might be able to help. Mike.

Mike without going into the practicalities of fittting the 2nd hand engine. The car you mention has been out of production for some time now, I think more than 10 years. Engines in scrap yards can cause you more problems unless you are competent to do a rebuild yourself. In this case it would probably be in your best interest to get your existing engine rebuilt by a reputable firm. At least you know then what has been done and you will have a warranty from the rebuilder. THis is the link for the engine rebuilders trade association it may be helpful www.fer.co.uk. Docted

Hi Mike, I agree with Docted. What makes you think your existing engine is dying? does it use excessive oil? Does it smoke excessively? If it's just lack of power then bear in mind that it was only rated at around 85 BHP in the first place. If it hasn't had a proper service and tune up for a while this could be why it's feeling sluggish (if that's the problem). If your motor really is dying then have it rebuilt by a reputable engine remanufacturer. You're talking rebore and pistons, possible crank regrind but certainly new shells, valves will need grinding in at least but the seats might need cutting and guides may need replacing. A reputable outfit will probably charge you around £500 ish for this but at least you'll have a good reliable motor. D.

Archived