12volt electrics when engine is on

scoutse

Hi, Our Bessacarr does excatly the same i thing, i beleive it is a safety feature ?? we can still have the Fridge/Freezer on 12 volt as this is a sperate supply direct from the alternator, and the leisure battery is topped up from the altenator, other than that i don't know if i would need the 12 volt when running ? be interested to know why you need it as i may have missed something ?? Brian

When I first got my timberland I asked for the 12 volt to be left on at all times in the habitation side. Timberland claimed they were not allowed to do this. It's been a pest a couple of times when we left the roof vent open and had to stop switch off and then shut the vent. On the other hand we had a water leak but as the 12 volt was off while travelling not a lot of damage was done. I think it's just a simple task if you want it modified. We have not bothered. If Dave Newell picks this up he will put you in the picture Don

Hi, the 12 Volt caravan electrics are disconnected when the engine is running to prevent electro magnetic interference between systems, particularly safety related systems such as engine management and ABS. Frankly this is a nonsense these days as these systems are very well shielded from EMI problems. The question of why you want the caravan electrics powered while travelling is a valid one though. Is there a particular system you need? D.

[QUOTE]Simon - 2006-06-19 8:43 PM The 12v electrics on our Murvi are active when the engines running - no problems at all with this. It has to be on as the diesel heating programmer runs from it so you can use it on the move.[/QUOTE] Simon, We have the Eberspacher with the 7 day timer and it works OK when the habitation 12 volt is switched off. It must be wired separately to the leisure battery. Don

Hi Simon Thanks for info are all of your 12 volt electics available or just the diesel heating? I know that some european vans are able to use their heating while on the move, even the ones that are gas fired ? but there was a long debate regarding whether to leave the gas on while moving ?? recently and i think the general consensus was that idealy the gas should be turned off before moving ? After i had posted the earlier reply i thought that sometimes it is a nussiance when we perhaps stop for a few moments to use the toilet but can't use the flush or wash our hands without turning the engine off ? as she dosen't like using the toilet while we are moving ha ha ?/ Brian

Hi Dave Thanks for the reply we have just bought a Autotrail scout 2005 it,s our first van and i was under the impression that all electrics worked on the move I am looking to have the lights on as we have to teenage sons that like to sit a play the play station on the move to pass the time also the water pump so if they want a wee wee on the move they can (with out splashing?) I am going to connect an inverter to the tv and play station so all i need is the lights on etc any replies ? one other thing i will be putting a curting up behind the driver to stop any light showing thanks Mark

Hi Mark, it should be possible to wire a couple of lights to work with the engine running if not the entire system. If anything was likely to create EMI problems it would be the inverter but to be truthful most modern ones are very well shielded. Boys using the loo while travelling? Not a great idea. In fact anyone moving around in the vehicle while on the move is not a good idea, at the very least it's a potential distraction to the driver. If someone needs the loo surely they can wait (medical problems aside of course) a short while till a convenient and safe rest stop can be found. D.

To the best of my knowledge this is a UK-built-motorhomes-only thing that began in the mid-1990s, apparently to comply with EMC (Electro-Magnetic Compatibility) regulations. There's been discussion about it on the forum previously and the informed opinion was that the 'ploy' should have been unnecessary initially and is totally unnecessary nowadays. (It needs to be asked why, if it's such an essential safety feature, don't Continental-built motorhomes ever employ it.) There will be an isolation relay somewhere in your Scout's 12V 'caravan' system that energises when the vehicle's motor is started and it should be child's play to disable this relay if you so wish (and you can find the beggar of course!!). "The Motorcaravan Manual" contains a wiring schematic that you might find helpful.

Hi All Thanks for the replies i have sent the question to autotrail today and they replied saying that if i do connect the 12volt when traveling that it could interfier with the engine managment system ? They say that if i put in a line to the reading lights from the battery with a fuse this would work sounds ok to me so thanks to every one for the help speak soon mark

In reply to Scoutse and Don Madge: The Murvi has a switch to select either leisure battery 0ne or Two or both or off. With it off, none of the conversion 12 v equipment works including the heating programmer. I`ve just checked again and yes all the 12 volts electrics work in the conversion with the engine running with either one or both leisure batteries selected.

• 6 months later...
[QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-06-19 8:59 PM [QUOTE]Simon - 2006-06-19 8:43 PM The 12v electrics on our Murvi are active when the engines running - no problems at all with this. It has to be on as the diesel heating programmer runs from it so you can use it on the move.[/QUOTE] Simon, We have the Eberspacher with the 7 day timer and it works OK when the habitation 12 volt is switched off. It must be wired separately to the leisure battery. Don[/QUOTE] Hello Don Our eberspacher heater runs on 12volt leisure battery when stationary. We know because one very cold snowy February it stopped working when the voltage dropped while camping wild without electric hook up over 4 days. We also have a timer. Motorhomer

[QUOTE]MOTORHOMER - 2007-01-02 2:57 PM [QUOTE]Don Madge - 2006-06-19 8:59 PM [QUOTE]Simon - 2006-06-19 8:43 PM The 12v electrics on our Murvi are active when the engines running - no problems at all with this. It has to be on as the diesel heating programmer runs from it so you can use it on the move.[/QUOTE] Simon, We have the Eberspacher with the 7 day timer and it works OK when the habitation 12 volt is switched off. It must be wired separately to the leisure battery. Don[/QUOTE] Hello Don Our eberspacher heater runs on 12volt leisure battery when stationary. We know because one very cold snowy February it stopped working when the voltage dropped while camping wild without electric hook up over 4 days. We also have a timer. Motorhomer[/QUOTE] Good for you Don

Hi Scoutse, Just one small thing about your plans to fit a curtain behind the cab, as you may have read in previous posts by me and many others who had the misfortune to drive a choachbuilt van during the colder times of the year, the rear ( even right behind the drivers seat) gets very cold while driving, you and your up front passenger will benefit from the increased heat in the front helped by the curtain, but your boys playing playstation will soon be baltic in the rear. I can't give you answers for the rest of your posting but I can tell you that cold kids asking are we there yet every 2 mins will soon do your head in!

we had the same problem with our symphony,having to stop and swich off just to look for something in the back,a real pain. the shut off isusually controlled by a relay that opens its circuits once powered from the charging alternator.if you can trace the relay its easy to bypass or just disconnect the sensing wire.

Our Scout was similarly afflicted - but not for long. On ours behind the control panel but mounted seperately was a relay which caused this nuisance. I detached the two wires from the contacts of the relay (terminals 30 & 87a) and joined the two detached ends together with a propper tab joiner. It was fortunate that I did not remove the relay as I soon found that I needed it to disconnect the waste tank level sensor and alarm when travelling. Otherwise on the first corner with only a dribble in the tank the alarm goes off. Good luck, Our Scout is comming up 10 years old. Todays electrics are almost certainly going to be different in some respect.

Archived